IPOD touch - Iphone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IPOD touch - Iphone

As many of you know, the Ipod touch & Iphone can use applications (apps) I have seen that There is a app called Police logger, but I believe its only for iphone. Has anyone seen any apps that would be used for Ipod touch?

It would be great to have a app that you can log the time for Open doors, unlocked doors and things like that. has anyone seen or know of a app that would be good for security officers? I have a ipod touch

iPhone vs. iPod touch

Pretty much any app for iPhone will work on iPod touch. You get the apps from the same place. Any app that requires the iPhone's cellular communicator might not work on the Touch since it doesn't have that, but iPod Touch can communicate over wireless networks really well, so that's how it would communicate. Make sure it won't work before you write it off for the Touch. Sounds like this one would work fine if it's just logging software.

Geoff

Comment

Ipod Touch

Yea, I know must apps that work with an I phone SHOULD work with an ipod touch.

I have seen the app called "police logger", I been looking for a App that would work well with Security officers job, the Police logger has alot of things that would useless for the job of a security officer.

I wish there was a App that we could use for open doors, unlocked doors, parking complaints and things like that.

Comment

To write programs for App Store, the developer has to pay a fee to Apple to get the SDK. So, unless they're a software company that can absorb the fee, there's no real incentive to registering for App Store.

Now, lets take a look at some of the requested features:

1. Open Doors - This would require the following infrastructure at your facility: 1) A motorized door opening device. 2) A motorized door controller with either bluetooth or wifi connection. 3) A method of assigning secure keys to the controller and iwhatever for secure access.

2. Unlock Doors - 1) Remotely Operated Lock and Strike Plate, 2) Controller with Wifi or Bluetooth wired to RO Lock, 3) Secure key method.

3. Parking Complaints - A records management system front-end in the ipod which sends data to a main database stored somewhere. This, by itself, would be one app, and probably a big one, since it'd need its own Report Management System behind the app to talk to.

The first two, access control, would need secure infrastructure. It's doable, but there's one hell of an investment. Integrators might be able to put something in, if they designed the software for their system. Their best bet would be to write it in Java for Mobile and OSX for iPhone, that way everything meshes.
        Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

for me..

It wouldn't even have to be that complex. Something that I can press a button, that would then hold the time....

As I mean open door...I ment. Me walkin around and I find a open door. I lock the door, then I would take the Ipod touch and click the button for the time. so I dont have to use a small piece of paper holding all the times & locations.

Bld A 21:15 - open door

Bld B 22:30 - door ajar

Bld C 2300 - parking complaint

something like that. I am tech Savvy, but I wouldn't be able to make a program that complex for a ipod touch

Comment

interesting question Jstar. we will be moving into access control side of apps soon but your idea actually makes a lot of sense for security personnel. it's just basically a tracking type app but it could get interesting when we do our access control apps. we started with video surveillance apps, went on to home automation (control lights, hvac, outlets, etc.), and are now finishing up an a/v remote. after that i think we will focus on security alarm and access control products.

offhand though our next update for our video surveillance apps will be i/o controls so you could actually controls lights, doors, alarms, etc. remotely for instance while watching a video camera pointed at it (or just handle the controls remotely). not sure this would help in your instance though as you have clarified your specific needs but i totally understand where you are coming from for guard tours and such. we will keep this in mind. check our website from time to time to see if we bring out an app to accommodate this.

Thanks.
            Rob

Comment

I worked for a school district that issued the iTouch to each officer. They came equipped with each student from the officer's school's information. Schedule, locker number, picture, parent's name, address, phone number etc. In addition all departmental emails could be received immediately. Next year the iTouches are due to be online with cameras throughout the district. A useful tool indeed.

Comment

ipod apps

I went online and looked to see what would be required to make a app using Apple as source, and It takes a downpayment of $99 for a basic person.
                If I charge $1 for the app, I would get 70 cents.

If there was a app that was out there, how much would you be willing to pay for it? $1, $2

Comment

Originally posted by Jstar571 View Post
                  I went online and looked to see what would be required to make a app using Apple as source, and It takes a downpayment of $99 for a basic person.
                  If I charge $1 for the app, I would get 70 cents.

If there was a app that was out there, how much would you be willing to pay for it? $1, $2
                  The cheaper the app, the more likely people will download it. Charge $5, sell 100 units, charge $1, sell 1000 units. $.99 seems like the sweet spot.

I think a logging app would be very popular, as long as you had a way to export the data as a spreadsheet or something. Or maybe the officer would email a daily report to the central office at the end of every tour. And once that app became popular, you could get the various access control companies interested in sponsoring your next app.
                  The CCTV Blog.

"Expert" is something like "leader". It's not a title that you can ever claim for yourself no matter what you might know or might have done. It's a title that others bestow on you based on their assessment of what you know and what you have done.

-SecTrainer

Comment

With the availability of Wi-Fi and 3G internet connections, I have been considering writing a database for myself that is iPhone (iTouch) friendly in terms of screen realestate and layout and hosting it on my own website for me to enjoy.

However, I'm not sure what data to capture, how deep the capture should go, for example text fields to allow typing input, or a series of check boxes to cover 90% of events. Say you come across a locked door to you tap "New Entry", "Door", "Locked". This would serve as a reminder for you. Maybe a text field for location. Or maybe you can customise your locations - you're working at site A tonight so you call up site A's locations and checkpoints.

I'd appreciate input, and if anyone is interested it would be simple to make it a sign-up service (not in terms of money, in terms of privacy).

I enjoy tinkering with such things, and this thread is a happy coincidence Anyone interested in feedback/suggestions/testing with absolutely no guarantee of the project's completion?

Comment

There are any number of loggers, trackers, etc. available already that you could look at, either to spark some ideas or perhaps decide that another one isn't needed. Or you might even hook up with the author of one of these apps too.

http://www.macworld.com/appguide/app.html?id=89909 (a logger for cops) is just one example. This author has written other event loggers for EMS, fire etc. as well. Search on "log", "logger", "tracker", etc. as well as on terms pertaining to related industries like "EMS", "safety", "police", etc. to see what's already out there. Some of these apps allow the user to customize their fields, which might be all you'd need to do (in collaboration with the original author, of course) to come up with a new app for security. And when you find an interesting app, be sure to click on the author's name to see what else he might have done along the same lines, like I did with this one.

Don't plagiarize though!

To me, the ideal app for incident reporting would certainly be GIS/GPS enabled.
                      Last edited by SecTrainer; 01-23-2010, 01:04 PM.
                      "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

There is a company called Control 4 Home Automation that uses iPhone technology to allow you to turn lights on and off, view IP cameras, lock and unlock doors remotely all through the iPhone. Suggested it as a possible solution for a client not too long ago when I was doing some consulting work.

Comment

The question again...

Iv been googleing around but have found no apps that are really ment for security officers yet

Comment

Originally posted by EricReynolds View Post
                            I worked for a school district that issued the iTouch to each officer. They came equipped with each student from the officer's school's information. Schedule, locker number, picture, parent's name, address, phone number etc. In addition all departmental emails could be received immediately. Next year the iTouches are due to be online with cameras throughout the district. A useful tool indeed.

This must have been a good school, it make sense for them to take appropriate security measures for their students.

Comment

Bringing back the question from the dead

I asked this question awhile ago, and maybe someone has found something that is useful and maybe (free)

Has anyone found a good app that works well in the security field? I have a ipod touch and a droid phone. Is anyone testing any apps?

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X