Vandalism question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vandalism question

I have a client (little older lady) that is having problems with someone trying to crash her gate. She is out in the boonies and the gate is too far from her home to be able to run power. There are also too many trees in the way from the gate to the house to put up a camera system to catch the person. And as always money is an issue. I was thinking of a way to "mark" the persons vehicle when they try to ram the gate. She has an idea who might be doing it but without evidence Law enforcement can't do anything.

I was thinking of using a dye pack of some sorts. I would tie the pack into a co2 cartridge like used in BB guns to spray the vehicle when they hit the gate. Does anyone have any thoughts? Or do you see any concerns about this approach?

How about putting spike strips near the base of the fence and a note on her dash not to forget to move them when she comes and goes. A large stop sign and No trespassing sign should take away any liability from her. One flat and they may go awhile two or more and the Sheriffs will have a few questions for the occupants.
    THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A 911 CALL IS FOUR MINUTES
    THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A .357 MAGNUM ROUND IS 1400 FEET PER SECOND?
    http://www.boondocksaints.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Chucky View Post
      How about putting spike strips near the base of the fence and a note on her dash not to forget to move them when she comes and goes. A large stop sign and No trespassing sign should take away any liability from her. One flat and they may go awhile two or more and the Sheriffs will have a few questions for the occupants.
      I was thinking along that line as well. The only problem is she does have visitors that are also frail that could create a problem. I also told her to paint the chain link to alow the paint to transfer to the vehicle.

Comment

Does she have a telephone entry system? Any extra pairs at all? Is this an automatic gate, by the way?

Not sure how much $ is to much. You can get those little motion detector cameras with an SD card, 4 or 8 GB. I think you can find them with an external trigger input. Put a non powered vibration or mercury switch on the gate. Run the camera off a 12 amp battery or even a small car or motorcycle battery, should give you quite a few days. You might have to make a weatherproof enclosure yourself.
        sigpic
        Rocket Science
        Making everything else look simple, since 1958.

http://my.opera.com/integrator/blog/
        One Man's Opinion

The Future. It isn't what it used to be.

Comment

Get a trail camera. I have a Bushnell trail camera with night vision (so there's no flash at night). It works on D batteries, records to an SD card, costs $184.95, has free shipping to anywhere in the continental US, and includes a $25 gift card to, um, my company.

It's in stock and you can order it from my website. Let me know if you'd like a link.
          The CCTV Blog.

"Expert" is something like "leader". It's not a title that you can ever claim for yourself no matter what you might know or might have done. It's a title that others bestow on you based on their assessment of what you know and what you have done.

-SecTrainer

Comment

I was thinking about a motion camera as well. The only problem is the gate is next to a road that has a pretty good traffic flow. To place the camera to get a view would also cause it to go off alot from the traffic. I do like the idea of being able to set a trigger switch to the camera that will go off when the gate is hit.

Cameraman,
            Does the Bushnell have motion. I may be able to disable the motion and tie in the gate trigger.

Thanks for the input. I had some pretty strange ideas going through my head after awhile. (The problem with being a Gov't level integrator working on strange requests) Sometimes stepping back and listening is the best policy.

Comment

Originally posted by Rooney View Post
              Cameraman,
              Does the Bushnell have motion. I may be able to disable the motion and tie in the gate trigger.
              As far as I can tell without taking the camera apart completely, it seems to have a little PIR. It does not have any external inputs, but for $185 I suppose you could take it apart and experiment. But why would you do that? Just let the motion set off the camera so you get as much of the car as possible... plus any other wildlife.
              The CCTV Blog.

"Expert" is something like "leader". It's not a title that you can ever claim for yourself no matter what you might know or might have done. It's a title that others bestow on you based on their assessment of what you know and what you have done.

-SecTrainer

Comment

Originally posted by CameraMan View Post
                As far as I can tell without taking the camera apart completely, it seems to have a little PIR. It does not have any external inputs, but for $185 I suppose you could take it apart and experiment. But why would you do that? Just let the motion set off the camera so you get as much of the car as possible... plus any other wildlife.
                I love taking things apart. Thats kind of how I got started in inventing things. My parents didn't like it much when I was a kid. But I put the TV back together where it worked fine. Let me know what the website is. Can you just take the $25.00 off the price?

Comment

Just sent you the link. And if you can't find some way to spend a $25 gift card at my store, you're dead inside
                  The CCTV Blog.

-SecTrainer

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X