radio and cellular jammers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• radio and cellular jammers

I always stressed the importance of a radio or cellular back up. I seen so many alarms not wired for line sezure, not tested after dsl or vonage, or even new phone systems were installed, not all sending test signals, and even if the phone line isn't cut, it could be out. I next to never find loud sirens or bells mounted out of site, nor do I see alarm controls hidden. I know all of us in the field would do things much different in our own homes, right? I know alarms aren't deterents, and if your home you need to deal with someone in your house yourself, instead of locking yourself in a closet and waiting for the police. alarms do alert us of problems and can be very helpfull in getting you help, or scaring away a criminal. Last year I heard over in iraq they had a jamming device that would stop the insurgants from setting off bombs with cell phones, and remotes. I also heard cell phones were a big problem in prisons, and some prisons were wanting to put in devices that blocked cell phone signals. I then realized that the cellular and radio units could be compromised by this, but then again from what i seen Its kicked in doors, smashed in windows, crash and grabs, and busting holes in walls, roof jobs etc. . Most of these don't care the alarm is going off, they know it will be at least 20 minutes before the police or security arrive and they will be long gone. I'm guessing that these jamming devices wouldn't be an issue, since we don't have cat burgulars anymore. I'm curious if these devices were ever used to block alarm signals?and if they are a problem in your opinion?

Originally posted by sideshow View Post
    I always stressed the importance of a radio or cellular back up. I seen so many alarms not wired for line sezure, not tested after dsl or vonage, or even new phone systems were installed, not all sending test signals, and even if the phone line isn't cut, it could be out. I next to never find loud sirens or bells mounted out of site, nor do I see alarm controls hidden. I know all of us in the field would do things much different in our own homes, right? I know alarms aren't deterents, and if your home you need to deal with someone in your house yourself, instead of locking yourself in a closet and waiting for the police. alarms do alert us of problems and can be very helpfull in getting you help, or scaring away a criminal. Last year I heard over in iraq they had a jamming device that would stop the insurgants from setting off bombs with cell phones, and remotes. I also heard cell phones were a big problem in prisons, and some prisons were wanting to put in devices that blocked cell phone signals. I then realized that the cellular and radio units could be compromised by this, but then again from what i seen Its kicked in doors, smashed in windows, crash and grabs, and busting holes in walls, roof jobs etc. . Most of these don't care the alarm is going off, they know it will be at least 20 minutes before the police or security arrive and they will be long gone. I'm guessing that these jamming devices wouldn't be an issue, since we don't have cat burgulars anymore. I'm curious if these devices were ever used to block alarm signals?and if they are a problem in your opinion?
    I won't go into to much detail, but I have used cell phone and radio jamming devices during my training I took on the East coast through a private security company. We were instructed on how they worked, and how to operate them against IED's for added protection in certain areas that required them. They worked very well, but everyone in the class including the instructor agreed that the bad guys will always try to find a way around defensive tools or to use defensive tools in an offensive way. It's a vicious circle of outsmarting between the good and bad guys.

From what I know when it comes to alarms, I highly doubt burglars would use them on a business unless it was a really big job. Again, I won't go into it to much, but with a little knowledge from researching I don't think you would need cell phone and radio jamming equipment to get the job done quicker, cheaper, and more discreet. You could just use social engineering
    sigpic

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil" - Doug Patton

Comment

I'd be far more interested in learning how to boost signal for these devices... several of my stores have dead zones where nothing not broadcast within about 200' can be heard (including cell phones, police radios, etc.) I'd love to discover a cheap way around that.
      "I don't do judgment. Just retrieval."

"The true triumph of reason is that it enables us to get along with those who do not possess it."

Comment

I remember reading about such cell phone jamming devices being used by a swanky restaurant here in Sydney as patrons were sick of being disturbed by selfish mobile cell users whilst relaxing & enjoying their meals

Bottom line was it's a Federal offense to impair/impede the service provision of a Telephone Communications Network, I would have thought it would have been a similar situation in the US (considering Civil Libertarians and all)?

As for use in anti-terrorism exercises (ie. prevention of bombs with cell phone devices) what a perfect application for such technology)
        "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give" - Winston Churchill

Comment

Bottom line was it's a Federal offense to impair/impede the service provision of a Telephone Communications Network, I would have thought it would have been a similar situation in the US (considering Civil Libertarians and all)?
          Unfortunately, a trick like that being against the law doesn't stop someone from using it in the committing of a break-in. If the concern is whether people will be able to get these or will use them during a crime, I would say that it is a valid concern. I'm not sure if if the "cell dialers" really broadcast on the same frequencies as cell phones, but it wouldn't take much for a crafty person to build or modify one to send the right signals. I just read the other day that you can buy them for about $300, so they aren't out of reach.

But, no, I agree with tanko and sideshow. I haven't seen this happening anywhere and I'm not likely to. A smash and grab can be performed long before the police would be able to arrive at the scene in most cases. The reason for the cell monitoring is just to keep the really stupid crooks from getting anywhere when they think they are safe.
          -------
          Tips and tricks about your home security and other fun things around the house.
          www.lowervoltage.com
          -------

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
          Working...
          X