Reading List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reading List

Being relitively new to the security field, I'm a former Navy Technician; I was wondering if their are any books that are must reads. The company I work for is new to the security world, so I'm pretty much starting from scratch on my tech library.
    Thanks

What field?
    Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
    Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

Re: What Field

We specialize in Government Facilities.
      Here is a partial list of the products and equipment I will be working with.
      FLIR, RACON 13000, 14000, 16000, video surveillance and servers, sensors, alarms, transponders, copper/ optical fiber, taut wire, E-Flex, tamper systems, infrared detectors, CCTV, field distribution boxes, Hisch (Velocity) and Vindicator (VCC and V5) entry/ access control and alarm systems.
      Last edited by jbow808; 03-27-2008, 01:02 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Start with CCTV For Security Professionals. Before you start installing these devices, you'd do well to get a feel for what they're for. The Complete Book of Electronic Security is good too, it goes through all the basic concepts.
        Last edited by CameraMan; 03-27-2008, 12:42 PM. Reason: added a book.
        The CCTV Blog.

"Expert" is something like "leader". It's not a title that you can ever claim for yourself no matter what you might know or might have done. It's a title that others bestow on you based on their assessment of what you know and what you have done.

-SecTrainer

Comment

Damb I wanna play in your toy box. I wish i could get a budget for some FLIR.
          Ethical Schizophrenia is the substance of heroes. -Frank Rich

Comment

Originally posted by jbow808 View Post
            Being relitively new to the security field, I'm a former Navy Technician; I was wondering if their are any books that are must reads. The company I work for is new to the security world, so I'm pretty much starting from scratch on my tech library.
            Thanks
            As a former Navy Tech, you've no doubt heard of Ed Nemie. He taught an electronics course at Norfolk NOB for years and tested and played around with just about anything dealing with security and their proper usage.
            He was on several DOD Red and Black Hat teams that tore apart systems both military and civilian government types.
            Talk to him and then follow Curtis' recommendations for reading lists.
            Enjoy the day,
            Bill

Comment

Re: Ed Nemie

Unfortunately I'm come from the silent service "Submarines" so I never had the pleasure of working with Ed, although I have heard of him. My background is in Electronics and Network Security along with working on several physical security teams. I will also be a member of the Naval Intel community soon. (Reservist)
              The more I learn about this field the more I think I'm in the right place for me.
              I also purchased the 2 books Cameraman recommended, can't wait to start learning.

Cheers,
              John Bowman
              Last edited by jbow808; 03-28-2008, 12:34 AM.

Comment

John, you are in good company here in the forum. Security has more different slots than holes in a warren.
                Ed had some impressive tickets.
                Enjoy the day,
                Bill

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                Working...
                X