DVR over the internet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVR over the internet.

Yes, I have a couple of newbie questions that I'm sure the pros will be able to answer. I just hooked up a DVR unit with a cable modem. The DVR will work in a Dynamic state and is able to pull a IP from the Cable Modem. Using the software provided by the DVR unit, I am unable to check the cameras out remotely. I have tried multiple combinations with my next option to hook up a router and check the DVR unit that way. This should be very simple to hook this unit up Dynamically yet remotely I'm unable to connect. I have tried multiple ports from 8000 to 54 with no luck. Anyone have any ideas?

I'm not familiar with DVRs over the internet, but they should be like any other internet appliance.

First, do you have the proper IP address of the DVR unit? Is the DOCSIS Cable Modem built in (Is there a coax jack), or is it Ethernet to the cable modem?
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by Brewbake
      Yes, I have a couple of newbie questions that I'm sure the pros will be able to answer. I just hooked up a DVR unit with a cable modem. The DVR will work in a Dynamic state and is able to pull a IP from the Cable Modem. Using the software provided by the DVR unit, I am unable to check the cameras out remotely. I have tried multiple combinations with my next option to hook up a router and check the DVR unit that way. This should be very simple to hook this unit up Dynamically yet remotely I'm unable to connect. I have tried multiple ports from 8000 to 54 with no luck. Anyone have any ideas?
      Please contact Charlie. Pierce, Director of Integrated Security Technology for IPC International Corporation. He is a contributing Technical Editor for ST&D, the sponsor for this site. He will give you a no BS answer. Email at [email protected]

Comment

Setup

Yes, there is a cable company provided cable modem and then it goes straight into the DVR unit. What seems odd is that when I connect a laptop to the line, it will pull a different IP and Subnet mask then the one I get when I hook the DVR unit up. I have also tried using the DVR in Static mode and setting the IP that I pulled through a laptop with no luck. My next step is to set up a router and try that. This doesn't make it any easier for my customer (who is very computer illiterate) to understand having to acquire the new IP from the cable company every week in order to watch their cameras over the net.

Comment

If you are dynamically assigning an IP address (DHCP), then your viewing software for the DVR has to know the MAC address of the DVR unit, or some other unique way of identifying it. You might want to consider using a static address for the DVR via the broadband provider. Most broadband providers today are charging extra for a Static Ip address which is the only way you would get it direct from them. When you connect your laptop, it pulls a Dynamic address (DHCP) from the provider which probably will be different than the Dynamic one the DVR pulls. Not being certain as to make, model, etc of your DVR, you may also need a crossover cable to connect directly to the DVR

Originally posted by Brewbake
          Yes, there is a cable company provided cable modem and then it goes straight into the DVR unit. What seems odd is that when I connect a laptop to the line, it will pull a different IP and Subnet mask then the one I get when I hook the DVR unit up. I have also tried using the DVR in Static mode and setting the IP that I pulled through a laptop with no luck. My next step is to set up a router and try that. This doesn't make it any easier for my customer (who is very computer illiterate) to understand having to acquire the new IP from the cable company every week in order to watch their cameras over the net.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
          Working...
          X