Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fire Alarm Funny

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Fire Alarm Funny

    Ok, all you folks installing fire detection systems will enjoy this ingenious device for reducing false alarms which are initiated at pull boxes:

    http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2006/...ps-pranksters/

  • #2
    I wonder if they have ever found a set of charred bones attached to one of those. Just don't seem right does it?. Wonder if this was pre Darwin awards?
    THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A 911 CALL IS FOUR MINUTES
    THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A .357 MAGNUM ROUND IS 1400 FEET PER SECOND?
    http://www.boondocksaints.com/

    Comment


    • #3
      I wish there could have been a few of those around for all the false fire alarms I've had to respond to.

      But then again, I may not have been able to thank someone who pulled the alarm in a real fire, stayed stuck in the fire box, and burned up.

      What a choice?

      Comment


      • #4
        And yet ..... she still smiles.
        Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
        Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

        Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

        Comment


        • #5
          In most citiies those boxes were installed on street corners, not inside buildings. Montreal had them up until the late 1970's. Every night when the bars closed at 3a.m. you'd hear 2 or 3 10-19's (false alarms) on the scanner.
          I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
          Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

          Comment


          • #6
            In my home town if the fire services are called out to more than three false alarms in any 12 month period the owners of the building are charged $1000 for every appliance that attends the call. As you can imagine there is huge pressure on techs to ensure that false activations due to technical faults do not occur.

            Comment


            • #7
              Now, if they can only do something for 911 hang-ups....
              Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Mr. Security View Post
                Now, if they can only do something for 911 hang-ups....
                Enhansed (sp?) 9-1-1
                I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by HotelSecurity View Post
                  Enhansed (sp?) 9-1-1
                  Our town has it - doesn't help much for hang-ups because the person who accidentally dialed 911 is afraid or unwilling to p/u the phone when dispatch calls back. Result: 2 units tied up responding to make sure it's not an emergency.
                  Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Mr. Security View Post
                    Our town has it - doesn't help much for hang-ups because the person who accidentally dialed 911 is afraid or unwilling to p/u the phone when dispatch calls back. Result: 2 units tied up responding to make sure it's not an emergency.
                    Maybe (and I know this isn't just your town) if they got the word out to people that if they hang up the police are going to come, and to at least stay on the line, call back or pick up if 911 calls back.
                    sigpic
                    Rocket Science
                    Making everything else look simple, since 1958.


                    http://my.opera.com/integrator/blog/
                    One Man's Opinion

                    The Future. It isn't what it used to be.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by integrator97 View Post
                      Maybe (and I know this isn't just your town) if they got the word out to people that if they hang up the police are going to come, and to at least stay on the line, call back or pick up if 911 calls back.
                      Exactly right. It's almost as if people don't care that the police had to drive all the way out to their house for nothing. "Oh well, that's what they get paid for" attitude.
                      Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Mr. Security View Post
                        Exactly right. It's almost as if people don't care that the police had to drive all the way out to their house for nothing. "Oh well, that's what they get paid for" attitude.
                        I don't think that's always the case. I think people just assume if they hang up, nothing happens. A big problem is that most businesses dial 9 to get out, and 1 to get long distance. Accidently hit another 1 and there ya go. Most people would be flustered, and hang up. If more people knew to stay on the line.... Of course most agencies would still send a car.

                        Whoever thought to use 911 and 9, 1 xxx xxx xxxx, well, lets just say there coulda been a better plan.
                        sigpic
                        Rocket Science
                        Making everything else look simple, since 1958.


                        http://my.opera.com/integrator/blog/
                        One Man's Opinion

                        The Future. It isn't what it used to be.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by integrator97 View Post
                          I don't think that's always the case. I think people just assume if they hang up, nothing happens. A big problem is that most businesses dial 9 to get out, and 1 to get long distance. Accidently hit another 1 and there ya go. Most people would be flustered, and hang up. If more people knew to stay on the line.... Of course most agencies would still send a car.

                          Whoever thought to use 911 and 9, 1 xxx xxx xxxx, well, lets just say there coulda been a better plan.
                          For our building, it works the same way, but different. If you dial 9-1-1 in our offices, it will just give you a incorrect dial signal. To dial 9-1-1 here you must actually dial 9-9-1-1.
                          "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
                          "The Curve" 1998

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by BHR Lawson View Post
                            For our building, it works the same way, but different. If you dial 9-1-1 in our offices, it will just give you a incorrect dial signal. To dial 9-1-1 here you must actually dial 9-9-1-1.
                            Yep, ur right. But I think it still has alot to do with it.
                            sigpic
                            Rocket Science
                            Making everything else look simple, since 1958.


                            http://my.opera.com/integrator/blog/
                            One Man's Opinion

                            The Future. It isn't what it used to be.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by integrator97 View Post
                              I don't think that's always the case. I think people just assume if they hang up, nothing happens. A big problem is that most businesses dial 9 to get out, and 1 to get long distance. Accidently hit another 1 and there ya go. Most people would be flustered, and hang up. If more people knew to stay on the line.... Of course most agencies would still send a car.

                              Whoever thought to use 911 and 9, 1 xxx xxx xxxx, well, lets just say there coulda been a better plan.
                              No, it's not always the case, but as someone who has worked in a 911 center, I can tell you that many people just don't care.
                              Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

                              Comment

                              Leaderboard

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X