Incident Mapping Software?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incident Mapping Software?

I know law enforcement agencies use software that has a picture of their cities and it "pins" incidents. We are curious in making one up for our mall. At present, we got these maps all over our walls that an officer has to take time out to put individual, different color pins on. This is a waste of resources and wall space.

Anyone know where such software can be purchased? Thanks!
    "I am not a hero. I am a silent guardian, a watchful protector"

Actually, if you're up for a bit of a learning curve (And with most GIS software, you will be anyway), you can use either Google Maps or Google Earth with a KML file.

Google Maps now lets you draw on things, then export the KML file to Google Earth, or save the data.

Otherwise look at GIS software.
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

What is the intended use for the system you are looking for?
      What of its functionality and versatility to your organization?
      Will it be used as a stand-alone program or work with others to predict trends and highlight incidents and projected patterns of behavior?
      If it your intent for this program draw from existing programs or operations it must be able to "play well with others."
      After you have followed Nathan's advice for evaluation, examine PPM's 2000 programs. I was in a sister security agency to one of the programmers who remembered his MP Officer days when he had to look in a myriad of places to compile a report for a flag officer who wanted it yesterday. Before he died, he had the satisfaction of seeing his dream come true, ask one program to compile data of varied happenings and activities into an easy to follow format for both a god like creature like a flag rank or the security supervisor trying to deploy his limited person power to the best effect.
      Enjoy the day,
      Bill

Comment

I use Cap Index: www.capindex.com
        Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
        Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

In programs like this, who imports the data?

I would like a program that can take various imported files, such as excel documents or GIS records, and plot them out, without having to do it by hand.
          Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by FireEMSPolice View Post
            I know law enforcement agencies use software that has a picture of their cities and it "pins" incidents. We are curious in making one up for our mall. At present, we got these maps all over our walls that an officer has to take time out to put individual, different color pins on. This is a waste of resources and wall space.

Anyone know where such software can be purchased? Thanks!
            Actually, it doesn't appear to me that you need anything GIS-based if this is just for your mall. All you need is graphics software that can record data points that are correlated with specific coordinates on the graphic (which here would be a visual representation of the mall). I believe AutoCAD and lots of other software can do this sort of thing.

All of that having been said, you can also research CAFM/CIFM (computer-aided or computer-integrated facilities management) software (do a Google search) for something that offers more extensive and more sophisticated capabilities - such as asset tracking, incident analysis, etc. Naturally, these won't be cheap.

While researching the answer to your question, I did run across a very interesting product (and have no idea how it's priced or licensed), SimGuard by Rontal. This "intelligent" incident management software not only has the capability of evaluating and mapping incidents in real-time (for instance, information coming in from sensors), but also has planning/simulation/training capabilities for unusual incidents that have not yet occurred, using a 3D model of the facility...(for instance, evacuation plans). I'm still trying to absorb the 22-page PDF whitepaper on this product.

NOTE: Rontal states that SimGuard is capable of handling remote facilities. Therefore, if it is too "pricey" for a single site, it might be more cost-effective for a security company that handles multiple sites and can spread the investment around.
            Last edited by SecTrainer; 09-12-2007, 06:27 AM.
            "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

Look at Orsus.com- I believe that their product may fit your application.

john
              "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." G. Orwell

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
              Working...
              X