Webcam homeland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Webcam homeland

This is a idea that I guess never did take off. It does appear that the main web site is still active. It is appealing on the surface. I would be interested in forum member input.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/in...homeland_x.htm

http://www.ushomeguard.org/

I personally like it...There's the added bonus that you never know what location you're watching, and it appears to have enough fail-safes (assuming it attracted a large enough number of users). I'd be interested in what type of vetting process they'd use.

Comment

On the slideshow, one slide said spotters would be paid 8-10 an hour for their work. Later it says that the program will work because of the VOLUNTEERISM of its members.

...time to do some recalculating.
      "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
      "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Although this sounds like a good idea, I think there are some issues involved. If you think about it, everytime there is any type of alert, LEO's get thousands of leads-most worthless. (I have no idea what percentages, as I have never been an LEO.) Can you imagine how many false hits it would get? People make poor observers.

Also, with intelligent video software, there is no need. By the time this thing would get off the ground, the next generation of video analysis software will be doing some amazing things.

Comment

Trained Observers

I share many of your concerns. The false alarm issue would be tough to overcome. Even with the various layers of verification, law enforcement would get tired of the goose chase. We have some seasoned CCTV people that have no choice but to dispatch a officer to verify what they have seen on our CCTV. We have good equipment. However, even with good overlapping coverage a officer has to verify.

Originally posted by Crinsol
          Although this sounds like a good idea, I think there are some issues involved. If you think about it, everytime there is any type of alert, LEO's get thousands of leads-most worthless. (I have no idea what percentages, as I have never been an LEO.) Can you imagine how many false hits it would get? People make poor observers.

Also, with intelligent video software, there is no need. By the time this thing would get off the ground, the next generation of video analysis software will be doing some amazing things.

Comment

On the mark comments

Vetting process is right on the mark. This big cadre of observers most likely would get some sort of online training. Of course I don't have any direct knowledge of the proposed training or background checks. With the national security implications the screening process would have to be very strenuous. The number of observers required for this sort of undertaking would be massive.

Originally posted by wilrobnson
            I personally like it...There's the added bonus that you never know what location you're watching, and it appears to have enough fail-safes (assuming it attracted a large enough number of users). I'd be interested in what type of vetting process they'd use.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
            Working...
            X