Back from ISC West

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back from ISC West

Wow, what a blur of new technology! I spent most of the 3 days I was there on the show floor, and I probably only saw a quarter of everything there.

Some standouts: the Bioscrypt facial recognition system (formerly A4Vision before the acquisiton) has come so far since I first saw A4. Amazingly fast and accurate, even with the "scene noise" happening in the tradeshow of bright lights in the air, lots of background imaging traffic. I also liked the OnSSI security/surveillance management system. The "virtual matrix" function of that software was very intuitive. VidSys' system for integrating security systems in a large-scale command & control environment is on top of things, and they're about to release an new/improved version.

The quality and variety of IP/network cameras available has really improved, as so many vendors were showing these -- even Cisco, which approaches the camera with more of an enterprise IT management perspective than many other vendors. Brijot was there with its buzz-creating system for looking under your clothes (to see the threat objects only, of course!). RFIdeas has a sweet little USB card reader to allows smart cards to control access to computer networks and PCs. Video analytics was everywhere -- thanks to heavy funding by investors!

The other trend I noticed was the price drops on some of last year's cutting-edge technology. Camera prices and DVRs are a lot less costly than you'd have paid in '06. Access control didn't have any major shifts other than HID's TCP/IP connected reader. Education sessions were a bit hit/miss -- some of these get too promotional/sales oriented. I saw two, however, which seemed to reflect excellent speaker preparation.

We've got some photos over on my (sometimes-updated) blog (http://www.securityinfowatch.com/blo...ecurity-check/), and more formal coverage of the show on our ISC West page: http://www.securityinfowatch.com/iscwest/

Finally, if any of you were out there, chime in with some thoughts on what grabbed ya! I've been too wordy, so its time to turn the mic back to you.

Geoff Kohl
    SecurityInfoWatch.com

I'll be attending the East show.
    Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
    Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

I think I'll attend this year -- I was in wait/see mode last year because the '05 show had been so dismal in terms of attendance that I didn't feel like I got my hotel, meal and airfaire costs back in terms of education, networking, etc. That year felt like a ghost town but I heard the 2006 show bounced back some.

Post a thread when we get closer to remind me who will be going to ISC East and I'll try to set up a forum-members meet/greet session at our booth -- open to anyone on the East Coast (or anywhere) who wants to head over to the Javitts Center and check out security technologies and meet some of their fellow SIW forum members face-to-face.

Comment

It's just a day trip for me.
        Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
        Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
        Working...
        X