Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Access Control Software?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Access Control Software?

    When I worked for a Sheriffs Office, the jail had touch screen software to control each and every door. They could lock/unlock, control cameras and intercoms. We have so many doors at the mall and wonder if something like this would be practical so we know who is entering/exiting. Anybody know any access control software of this nature? At least where we could lock/unlock doors at the push of a button and have intercoms. The main mall entrances are not my main concern as much as the corridors but I would still like to know who is going in/out and when. The problem is tenants who stay after hours and refuse to follow the rules and get a pass and unlock doors, compromising the security of the facility and then leaving us to find the door unlocked when we go to open the mall and wondering WTF happened and how the door became unsecured.

    Any suggestions on access control software?
    "I am not a hero. I am a silent guardian, a watchful protector"

  • #2
    The touch screen was just a driver most likely, a mouse click could of done the same. Most professional (enterprise grade) access controllers will report to a PC running the software that talks to the access controller what's going on with the doors and alarms. The software can read alarm indicators, and execute scripts to deal with them.

    I'm sure one of the integrators will be along shortly to explain this in more detail. Unless you have people on staff who know what the hell they're doing, I'd leave this up to an integrator to design a system, select components, and install it.
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

    "Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

    Comment


    • #3
      N. A. Corbier, what is the software called? It doesnt really matter if its by a touch screen or mouse click but I am interested in something that we can use to lock things down at once. Thanks!
      "I am not a hero. I am a silent guardian, a watchful protector"

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by FireEMSPolice
        When I worked for a Sheriffs Office, the jail had touch screen software to control each and every door. They could lock/unlock, control cameras and intercoms. We have so many doors at the mall and wonder if something like this would be practical so we know who is entering/exiting. Anybody know any access control software of this nature? At least where we could lock/unlock doors at the push of a button and have intercoms. The main mall entrances are not my main concern as much as the corridors but I would still like to know who is going in/out and when. The problem is tenants who stay after hours and refuse to follow the rules and get a pass and unlock doors, compromising the security of the facility and then leaving us to find the door unlocked when we go to open the mall and wondering WTF happened and how the door became unsecured.

        Any suggestions on access control software?
        Contact PPM2000 and see if you can get the same overlay program they designed for the RCMP. From my understanding, one mouse click, now I'd bet on touch screen move and they can lock every lock in the facility.
        Enjoy the day,
        Bill

        Comment


        • #5
          INET4 is a system used in a certian building in downtown SF, it controls lights on and off... it controls.. ac temps... its controls... the alarms.. all with a click of mouse... :P it is known as a "smart" building because everything can be ran from the consol with the exception of FCC room...
          Its not how we die that counts.....
          Its not how we lived that counts....
          all that matters is how we saved that one life that one time by being in the right place at the right time....

          Comment


          • #6
            We use the CCURE system. It has a fairly idiot proof interface and can be integrated with fire, CCTV, and other building control systems relatively easily.

            Here is the address for the company that makes it: http://www.swhouse.com/home/default.aspx
            Drew Neckar
            Hospital Security Supervisor
            ---------------------------------------------------

            Always forgive your enemies--nothing annoys them so much.
            --Oscar Wilde—

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by HospitalOfc.
              We use the CCURE system. It has a fairly idiot proof interface and can be integrated with fire, CCTV, and other building control systems relatively easily.

              Here is the address for the company that makes it: http://www.swhouse.com/home/default.aspx
              Neat! Can it lock/unlock doors?
              "I am not a hero. I am a silent guardian, a watchful protector"

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by UtahProtectionForce
                INET4 is a system used in a certian building in downtown SF, it controls lights on and off... it controls.. ac temps... its controls... the alarms.. all with a click of mouse... :P it is known as a "smart" building because everything can be ran from the consol with the exception of FCC room...
                I checked out the INET4 website and I cant find anything about the stuff you mention.
                "I am not a hero. I am a silent guardian, a watchful protector"

                Comment


                • #9
                  Each control panel for an individual door can hold in its memory records approximately 150,000 users who have authorization to access that door (by use of an access card) and at what hours they are allowed to enter the area, doors can also be pre-programmed to lock/unlock at specified times, or may be remotely unlocked from a central monitoring station.

                  The system is also be programmed to alarm if a door is propped open for a specified period of time or is forced open without the use of an access card, if you don’t not have a central monitoring station that is manned 24/7 these alarms can also be set up to notify your officers via page or e-mail.

                  If you are using compatible DVRs for your CCTV applications it can also be programmed to display live video of an area on any preset conditions that you program it to recognize, such as a door being forced or propped open.


                  I don’t know if this type of system would be the answer that you are looking for, but it does work very well for us. CCURE is the only access control system that I have a strong working knowledge of, but there are other companies whose products do pretty much the same thing, here are links to some of them. If you need any more info PM me and I’ll see if I can get something together that I can send you.

                  http://www.hidcorp.com/index.php

                  http://www.boschsecurity.us/index.aspx?familyid=505

                  http://www.hirschelectronics.com/Pro..._Integrity.asp

                  http://www.gesecurity.com/portal/sit...n=false&t=prod

                  http://www.jci.com/security/products.html

                  http://www.protectionone.com/securit...-control.shtml
                  Drew Neckar
                  Hospital Security Supervisor
                  ---------------------------------------------------

                  Always forgive your enemies--nothing annoys them so much.
                  --Oscar Wilde—

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by FireEMSPolice
                    I checked out the INET4 website and I cant find anything about the stuff you mention.
                    i think they custom build building management systems... i know it was called INET4... as thats what we were trained in...
                    some systems that are used here in utah is AMAG
                    Its not how we die that counts.....
                    Its not how we lived that counts....
                    all that matters is how we saved that one life that one time by being in the right place at the right time....

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      As Bill W stated above, virtually any access control software can perform the functions you desire. Each door can have a pushbutton (input) associated with it to unlock the doors.

                      Yoiu mentioned intercoms in an earlier post as well. Please note that many intercoms systems (Aiphone come to mind quickly) will allow two way communication at a door with teh operator being able to selectively release or unlock the door.

                      It seem, however, that you really need to know which doors are being held open by tenants so an decent access control system will be more beneficial for your application (alarm notification and door lock and unlock)

                      Good luck!
                      "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." G. Orwell

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I checked something out at work and we do have a CCURE system. However, it only records when someone swipes their access cards. There are only 3 such points (Management Office, Housekeeping/Maintenance Office, Security Office) that require swipe card access, but everyones access card has different privileges (some cant open the Management Office). It's just not getting the most out of the program I feel. I dont know if Sensormatic controls this or not because a local company comes to service it. I just thought for a second that Sensormatic did because their logo is on the computer that the "log" is kept on. I will check with the local company.

                        We cant issue cards to all 3000 some employees at the mall. We can control their entry/exit into the corridors and mall proper. Their own stores are also out. Once a suite is rented, they are mandated to change locks. This way, only the store employees have access to their business.
                        Last edited by FireEMSPolice; 04-04-2007, 11:46 AM.
                        "I am not a hero. I am a silent guardian, a watchful protector"

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by FireEMSPolice
                          I checked something out at work and we do have a CCURE system. However, it only records when someone swipes their access cards. There are only 3 such points (Management Office, Housekeeping/Maintenance Office, Security Office) that require swipe card access, but everyones access card has different privileges (some cant open the Management Office). It's just not getting the most out of the program I feel. I dont know if Sensormatic controls this or not because a local company comes to service it. I just thought for a second that Sensormatic did because their logo is on the computer that the "log" is kept on. I will check with the local company.

                          We cant issue cards to all 3000 some employees at the mall. We can control their entry/exit into the corridors and mall proper. Their own stores are also out. Once a suite is rented, they are mandated to change locks. This way, only the store employees have access to their business.

                          why not i worked in a 44 story building that had over 6000 cards issued to it. its not that hard.... but can be costly... software/hardward/ and cards :P
                          Its not how we die that counts.....
                          Its not how we lived that counts....
                          all that matters is how we saved that one life that one time by being in the right place at the right time....

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            As in all things we do in security consider the end result. Will the program selected for access control "play well" with other installed programs? One vendor may very well be correct when he describes his product as the best ever developed, but must work in a stand-alone environment. We must ensure whatever we purchase will increase our efficiency in operations and contribute to a well run security program that benefits those our mission is to protect along with the assets upon which the enterprise and livelyhood depends.
                            Enjoy the day,
                            Bill
                            Last edited by Bill Warnock; 04-04-2007, 12:36 PM. Reason: Missing word

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by UtahProtectionForce
                              why not i worked in a 44 story building that had over 6000 cards issued to it. its not that hard.... but can be costly... software/hardward/ and cards :P
                              Because these are stores. Their employees come and go all the time. Issuing cards to just the essential employees of Security, Management, Operations, Housekeeping means the cards are easy to track and get back upon resignation. The same reason why we cant issue parking passes. Its way too costly and we cant track it.

                              The reason why I feel we need a system like this is so we can track who is going in and out and when. This will reduce our false alarms. Right now the problem is after hours tenants unsecuring doors as they exit. Then we come along when its time to open and find the door previously unsecured that had once been secured. I read the riot act to a Hollister employee once for unsecuring a door.
                              Last edited by FireEMSPolice; 04-05-2007, 11:21 AM.
                              "I am not a hero. I am a silent guardian, a watchful protector"

                              Comment

                              Leaderboard

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X