Lone working safety

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lone working safety

My son was searching for a good job and at last he has decided to work as an apprentice. He'll be joining as a trainee the next week. I told him to find a better job, but he said that he's satisfied with this one and will search for a better job after getting some experience there. He told me that sometimes he may have to work at night too. I'm worried about his safety. Everyday I am reading a lot of news about murder, theft, kidnapping etc. He's just too young and I don't understand what to do now. He will have to travel alone too. Do you guys have any safety solutions for him?? I've been searching for some sort of safety measures for him for a long time. I googled and found few working alone safety apps. One of the safety app is the checkmate app ( http://www.proteleccheckmate.com/pro...e-never-alone/ ). Please check whether this will help my son in case of any hard situation. Waiting to hear your suggestions. If anyone here knows any better app or better safety solution please let me know. Thanks in advance.
    The Never Alone personal safety app ensures immediate emergency response should you encounter a potentially harmful situation in your day-to-day lives.
    Last edited by Concetta Parsons; 02-10-2017, 04:23 AM.

nice idea except.....

it still takes me at least three tries to get to my company phone's 'panic button' since our phones are about 15yrs old.

at 2 out of 3 sites I've got to make sure I'm in certain spots to even make standard calls.

I'd like an app that will alert if taken out of vertical for more than 30 seconds without being "offed", as well as a separate device that you place as a link between your cell phone dead zone and the cell network.

You put the device at the opening of the parking garage, or the top of a mountain when you are in a valley.

PS-I once quit a pretty good construction gig because they kept foisting untrained, non-English speaking 3rd worlders on me and it was a no-phone, no-cell service, 45mins to hospital location.

If I'd been allowed to work by myself it would've been OK, but my co-workers kept doing dumb dangerous stuff and obviously had no first aid skills.

I was a diff sort of 'alone' risk, I guess.
    Last edited by Squid; 12-20-2016, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Solo work safety is important to keep at top of mind.

I used to work unarmed mobile patrol on mine property in a 1-man car, but I had a dispatcher available by radio and a second car within a couple miles. Yesterday I did my first tour working an armed housing beat in the city. No radio, no backup on duty, nothing but a phone to call the scheduler or 911 with.

Nothing at all happened (ok, there was an unlatched outside door and a whiff of cannabis in the hallway). But anything COULD happen. Given the choice between a sidearm and a one-touch way to call for help... well, it's a tough call. How well are things going to go if I have to use force AND dial a flip phone at the same time?

Do a lot of you work solo, in public, without radio contact with a dispatcher or backup? If so, do you have other technical systems or procedures in place to stay in touch when SHTF?
      Last edited by Hardway; 12-20-2016, 06:13 PM.

Comment

While working alone is somewhat unsafe, an armed patrol route with a round that will travel 1100 feet per second is always faster than any "back up" you could ever call for. I would be thankful that I was at least armed.

Comment

Originally posted by Hardway View Post
          Solo work safety is important to keep at top of mind.

I used to work unarmed mobile patrol on mine property in a 1-man car, but I had a dispatcher available by radio and a second car within a couple miles. Yesterday I did my first tour working an armed housing beat in the city. No radio, no backup on duty, nothing but a phone to call the scheduler or 911 with.

Nothing at all happened (ok, there was an unlatched outside door and a whiff of cannabis in the hallway). But anything COULD happen. Given the choice between a sidearm and a one-touch way to call for help... well, it's a tough call. How well are things going to go if I have to use force AND dial a flip phone at the same time?

Do a lot of you work solo, in public, without radio contact with a dispatcher or backup? If so, do you have other technical systems or procedures in place to stay in touch when SHTF?
          the Mine gig sounds 10,000% safer (assuming its not a gold mine).

The gun might cause Bad Guys to escalate, and they will use the element of surprise. Some might see it as a Prize.

Slum Dwellers may also hurl false accusations at you, in hopes of winning the Ghetto Lottery in court against your company or Public Housing Authority.

Comment

Good points Squid, and yeah - as an iron mine, nobody was going after the product. Biggest threat there was tweakers going after copper and other industrial valuables, and poachers to a lesser extent.

Comment

Originally posted by Concetta Parsons View Post

Please check whether this will help my son in case of any hard situation. Waiting to hear your suggestions. If anyone here knows any better app or better safety solution please let me know. Thanks in advance.
              There are a number of similar apps available, such as Red Panic Button, etc. Whether they're helpful or not depends on a lot of variables, up to and including whether GPS signals are even available where he works (often not, indoors), whether a wifi/cell connection is available, the promptness of whoever is monitoring the app, how fast emergency responders can arrive, and certainly the nature of the "hard situation" you refer to. The fact is, a lot of "hard situations" go down in less than 30 seconds, in which case no app would be able to help.
              Last edited by SecTrainer; 01-03-2017, 01:00 AM.
              "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

Lifealert? lol.

But in all honestly, the best defense in this case is remembering to be aware of your surroundings, and if it is such a concern, talk to the client about possibly hiring another guard on duty. That or perhaps work with local law enforcement. Talk to them about the position and request an extra patrol to drive by the account every now and then.

Comment

First we need to know what an "apprentice lone worker" is

Comment

300x250

Collapse

Mid 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Super Leaderboard

Collapse
                  Working...