Calling all Security Technicians...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling all Security Technicians...

In April, Security Dealer magazine will be launching a new quarterly supplement called Security Technician. It will be a hands on, how to, technical resource for the integration expert who installs security, audio, and video products in residential, commercial, government and/or industrial markets.

If you'd like to learn more or subscribe, please view our new landing page (http://www.securityinfowatch.com/security-technician/).

Also, what specifically would you like to see in such a supplement? Feel free to post your insights below and I'll be happy to join in the discussion.

Sounds great. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is integration. Many systems now are fully integrated together, ie. video, intrusion, access control, etc.. Many articles are written on the seperate systems but few have yet to dive into the integration side of our business. With technology expanding exponentially, integration is becoming an ever increasing side of the business.

Comment

Thanks for you input, Rooney. We were definitely considering that, so it's good to hear there are others out there who want to learn more about that subject.

Any other thoughts out there?

Comment

Well with technology becoming more and more prevailent (sp?), it's suprising to see alot of CCTV systems still utalizing VCR's and such.

What I'd like to see is not only integration of multiple systems, including CCTV, intrusion, access control, etc, but also using more sophisticated equipment such as DVR's, motion cameras, computer logging for access, and better nighttime cameras.

For instance, here's my idea of a good security monitoring system.

All feeds are recorded onto a DVR only if there is an incident, an incident would include atleast during night time if no one is supposed to be there, cameras that will automatically track any movement and automatically follow the source of movement and record whatever it sees to the DVR. Cameras that would be passive and not record if no movement is detected. Automated monitoring station where if movement is detected that feed automatically takes priority on the screen(s). Same for access control, I'd like to see camera systems that automatically take over the screen and start recording when entry authorized or unauthorized is taking place so you can see.

I'd also like to see more in the way of digital cameras even with thermal so you can easily spot a heat source or if necessary can manually take over a camera from a control station and since its a digital camera be able to zoom in on the persons face where even the police would comment "Damn that's a nice mugshot" as far as quality of picture is concerned. Just one of many ideas.
        We may not be sworn in, have all the powers of arrest as a peace officer, or are able to run red & blues, but damnit, when the chips are down, the **** hits the fan, and the bullets are flying, me and an LEO share the same dumpster for cover, and spill the same blood in the same mud. All other differences are just details.

Comment

Originally posted by fatalflaw
          All feeds are recorded onto a DVR only if there is an incident, an incident would include atleast during night time if no one is supposed to be there, cameras that will automatically track any movement and automatically follow the source of movement and record whatever it sees to the DVR. Cameras that would be passive and not record if no movement is detected. Automated monitoring station where if movement is detected that feed automatically takes priority on the screen(s). Same for access control, I'd like to see camera systems that automatically take over the screen and start recording when entry authorized or unauthorized is taking place so you can see.
          That equipment exists and is used. The incident recording is done with motion sensing within the field of view. Tracking programs and cameras are out there. The only problem with them is they can be fooled. If someone walks around with the camera following them, another person can come in and do the crime undetected. The automatic screen is done through a matrix system or the dvr. When motion is detected within the field of view it will automatically pull up that camera on whichever screen you program for priority alarms.

Comment

Dvr

Originally posted by fatalflaw
            Well with technology becoming more and more prevailent (sp?), it's suprising to see alot of CCTV systems still utalizing VCR's and such.

What I'd like to see is not only integration of multiple systems, including CCTV, intrusion, access control, etc, but also using more sophisticated equipment such as DVR's, motion cameras, computer logging for access, and better nighttime cameras.

For instance, here's my idea of a good security monitoring system.

I'd also like to see more in the way of digital cameras even with thermal so you can easily spot a heat source or if necessary can manually take over a camera from a control station and since its a digital camera be able to zoom in on the persons face where even the police would comment "Damn that's a nice mugshot" as far as quality of picture is concerned. Just one of many ideas.
            We use DVR here on our site...works great

Comment

Originally posted by Rooney
              That equipment exists and is used. The incident recording is done with motion sensing within the field of view. Tracking programs and cameras are out there. The only problem with them is they can be fooled. If someone walks around with the camera following them, another person can come in and do the crime undetected. The automatic screen is done through a matrix system or the dvr. When motion is detected within the field of view it will automatically pull up that camera on whichever screen you program for priority alarms.
              Very true, on both counts. You will, however, in the next year see an increased deployment of cameras with built-in analytics that specialize in single person tracking, multiple people and object left behind/stolen. Up to now, these technologies have been primarily server-based. Early adopters aside, it will most likely take about a year to begin seeing them installed.
              Best regards, Steve Surfaro
              Panasonic Systems Solutions / Strategic Technical Liaison

Industry Panasonic|ASIS Physical Security Council|SIA Standards|BICSI |NICET |SecurityInfoWatch.com |NetworkCameraReviews|IPCameraForum
              Fun Head-Fi|BikeForums.net|CandlePower Forums|24|My Gallery|My other car is a Trek Y-50

Comment

Originally posted by stevesurf
                Very true, on both counts. You will, however, in the next year see an increased deployment of cameras with built-in analytics that specialize in single person tracking, multiple people and object left behind/stolen. Up to now, these technologies have been primarily server-based. Early adopters aside, it will most likely take about a year to begin seeing them installed.
                I have used server based analytical video hardware. I'm under the impression from some colleagues in the industry that they are getting to the point that the systems will be programmable by the user for many different functions, i.e. autotrack (single or multi-camera), objects left behind, loitering, high value areas within field, low value areas, etc.. All within the dvr or nvr. Some have started to integrate the facial recognition into access control systems. If the system recognizes you it automatically unlocks the door for you. That would be great for a more secure access control than the now prox cards or swipe cards. With the analytics the system could tell if you were being held by someone too close to you at the entrance. The next few years will be extremely interesting in the security field. Now the main thing we need is standardization in some systems to help us integrators better equip our clients.

Comment

Originally posted by Rooney
                  Now the main thing we need is standardization in some systems to help us integrators better equip our clients.
                  This is so very important; at the SIA, we are working on standard interoperability framework for both Video and Access Control. More about that here.
                  Best regards, Steve Surfaro
                  Panasonic Systems Solutions / Strategic Technical Liaison

Industry Panasonic|ASIS Physical Security Council|SIA Standards|BICSI |NICET |SecurityInfoWatch.com |NetworkCameraReviews|IPCameraForum
                  Fun Head-Fi|BikeForums.net|CandlePower Forums|24|My Gallery|My other car is a Trek Y-50

Comment

The only thing I fear on facial recognition for access control is the inevitable ability to "outsmart" the sensor system. Anyone seen Mythbusters? The system has to be smarter than holding up a mask that will cause a "hit" and open the door.
                    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
                      The only thing I fear on facial recognition for access control is the inevitable ability to "outsmart" the sensor system. Anyone seen Mythbusters? The system has to be smarter than holding up a mask that will cause a "hit" and open the door.
                      I agree. One thing that is being looked at is facial recognition from a thermal or infra-red camera. The ability to bypass a system that can scan different thermal ranges of the person would be difficult. At least alot more difficult than holding up a mask. If it were tied into a biometric reader (print, hand, retina, etc.), it would be even more dificult.

Comment

I would like you to maintain a small section for the basics. Techniques and troubleshooting / problem solving for the junior / beginner techs. They will always be around. And I only have so much time to divulge all the secrets I've learned, and alot of them are lost in my head til the scenario arises that needs them.

I have an excellent memory. It's the recall system that's f***d up.
                        sigpic
                        Rocket Science
                        Making everything else look simple, since 1958.

http://my.opera.com/integrator/blog/
                        One Man's Opinion

The Future. It isn't what it used to be.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X