Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camera software

Hi all,

Currently I am in the process of having software built that will control/manage CCTV or IP cameras (so far it has cost me about 10K and probabally another 10 - 15K to finish). The software will compress the images using compression standards such as MPEG-4 and MJPEG and send them to an offsite server. I am extermely concerned that bandwidth is going to be a problem and that video from cameras are not going to be recorded. Are there any suggestions as I can still get my software developers do change or add things. Also are there any other features that need to be or should be added aside from the basics that are already out there? I appreciate and look forward to any suggestions.
    Last edited by Naz; 11-27-2006, 05:45 PM.

Bandwidth is always a concern when dealing with offsite recording. One way I handle the bandwidth problem is to have an onsite server that auto downloads to the remote site. It acts like a buffer for the offsite system as well as maintaining video. Another aspect that comes in handy is the motion detection. It will save bandwidth by not sending constant real-time video. You may also look into different compression technology available that only sends the portion of the video that has changed and not the full frame. It will save bandwidth as well if you want real-time off site monitoring. PM me and I can send you info on the compression standards we use for bandwidth saving.

Comment

Software for cameras

I read your post about bandwidth (having an onsite server is a great idea but that would add to the capital cost to the customer and as such I would hesitate to use this as the primary solution but having a buffer sure would need to be part of the solution...... this buffer would get filled up if what is comming in and being stored is more than whats going for storage offsite). I would like to know more about compression standards that you use for bandwidth saving. Thank you for sharing information as my efforts towards making my own software will be in vain.
      Last edited by Naz; 11-28-2006, 11:40 PM.

Comment

For the best picture with lowest bandwidth Wavelet compression is best. Second to that with a little lower quality picture but uses low bandwidth is H261.

Here is a link to better understand the features of different compression standards.

http://www.cctv-information.co.uk/cg...mpression.html

Hope this helps.

Comment

Compression for software

Pardon my ignorance but the compression standards for CCTV and IP cameras are the same....right?

I recently came across some software specifications for a camera surveillance system for an airport and noticed that CCTV cameras are to be used....are IP cameras better to use especially since they are digital vs the older analog technology?

The software developers want me to choose some cameras that the software is to work with. Initially I will have a short list of about 10-15 cameras both IP and CCTV. From your experience, do you have any suggestions as to preference to certain makes and models. Of course some customers just want a quick fix ie. cheaper cameras that last.

Thank you for the helpful advice.
          Last edited by Naz; 11-27-2006, 06:28 PM.

Comment

IP cameras generally use a jpg compression. It is built into the camera itself through hardware. You can use a video server to compress analog video into jpg. IP cameras are more stable on a network and offer better real-time viewing than having a video server. Also with IP cameras if the distance between the camera and the network does not allow cabling, a wireless network router can be used to transmit the feed to the network.

Here is a link that has some good information about IP camera technology.

http://www.ipcamerareports.com/default.view

They also have reviews of many cameras.

Comment

Powerfull Switches Rather than Pipeline

Yes, you may have an issue with the amount of data running through the line, but you will only have packets of data from one camera running to the switch if you use a network digital system. Therefore, the issue is with the sophistication of the hardware (switch et al) beside the compression. If you can get the data to a switch and then re-directed to a server or DVR for recording purposes - you are off to the races. Make sue you seek advise from network integrators not analogue system installers.

Let us know when you have the software developed, there may be a market to advanced compression - but it may have already been invented: Milestone Systems (Europe)
              Last edited by SIW Editor; 12-13-2006, 10:20 AM. Reason: [cutting out sales pitch]

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
              Working...
              X