Lighting problem with my outdoor Cameras

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lighting problem with my outdoor Cameras

I have been having Lighting problems with my outdoor Cameras. If there is a lighting storm and it strikes close but not a direct hit the outdoor cameras get knocked out. The coaxial is grounded to the electrical system and through a Surge protector(s). Other devices plugged into these Surge protectors are not affected. There is no visible lighting damage inside or out on the blown cameras ether. What do I need to do to protect my cameras? These are weather proof anywhere from $100 to $200+ cameras. Does anybody else have this problem and if so what was done to fix this Lighting problems?

Thanks
    dbctl

It sounds like the cameras are not shielded from the EM pulse that the lightning generates. Bill Warnock should have some suggestions, mine would be to ground the weatherproof enclosure (create a faraday cage.)
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

From the Desk of William J. Warnock

Bill's having access problems. I send this message that I got from my email...

Originally posted by Bill Warnock
      Dbct1, how do you know it is lightning damage as opposed to an electrical spike that may or may not be induced by lightning?

Describe your electrical service to your facility? Have you recently had an electrical quality survey performed by an electrical engineer familiar with switch mode power supplies?

What are the high and low voltage ratings for your cameras?

You have surge protectors. What are their respective Jule (heat dissipation) ratings? Describe the type of surge protectors, high or low end in quality?

Depending on what you discover, you might want to contact both Herb Goldstein ([email protected]) for power questions and Jack Gin ([email protected]) for CCTV assistance. Their email addresses are in the CC block of this email.

It might be as simple as a power survey to determine the underlying problems. You might have to invest in good quality power conditioners which limit let-through voltage as on of their functions and reduce both normal and common mode electrical noise.

Do not invest any money in anything until you contact Herb and Jack.

Sincerely,

Bill Warnock
      Last edited by N. A. Corbier; 09-05-2006, 08:18 PM. Reason: Adding Emails

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

I have not had an electrical quality survey performed I didn't even know there was one.
        Ground the camera unit to the elec. ground or to a separate ground rod? How would you construct a faraday cage?

Thanks,
        dbctl

Comment

Bill advised me that you can contact him directly by going into the Members List and clicking "Send an email to Bill Warnock" once you click Bill's user name (Bill Warnock.)

My sole resource on how to build a Faraday Cage would be Wikipedia. However, I'd urge you to contact one or both of the guys listed in the previous email, they're making sure that Bill is actually talking sense.

Electrical engineering is not my cup of tea.

Comment

Little food for thought, though. "Dirty power," as some call it, is power with variable waveform (its supposed to be a true Sine Wave.) Among other things, I can read what your cameras, your monitors, and your computers are doing by plugging a box into a power socket that's on the same line as your sensitive equipment.

This is why "electrical quality" takes on a whole new meaning when you are dealing with the technically adept or those who can purchase devices from them.

Oh, and my own suggestion on why your cameras keep frying: The system isn't grounded out, nor is it shielded, and the EMP from the lightning strike fries your cameras. Those email addresses are for people who know what the hell they're talking about.

Comment

What is the little box that you plug in to check equipment?
              dbctl

Comment

Originally posted by dbctl
                What is the little box that you plug in to check equipment?
                Its not to check on equipment. Its a TEMPEST box and its designed to clandestinely spy on other people's electrical emissions.

Comment

Oh
                  I sent Bill a message from his profile area yesterday. It wouldn't let me email him. I haven't heard anything yet. I also sent Jack and Herb an email yesterday, no reply yet.

Thanks,
                  Dennis
                  dbctl

Comment

Bill can't reply to you as his password no longer works, and requires an administrative reset. The other two can put you in contact with him.

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
                      Bill can't reply to you as his password no longer works, and requires an administrative reset. The other two can put you in contact with him.
                      Nathan, I'm back and I want to thank you for your invaluable service to me during this period.
                      I should suspect most of the problems have been identified and finally answering the PM, Herb has really done double duty and sent valuable information to both dcbt1 and I.
                      Thanks again, you are truly one of the good guys!
                      Enjoy the day,
                      Bill

Comment

Bill,

And everybody that has helped. I'm going to try to answer the questions you had asked me. My system is residential I have 23 acres that share my house and my Saddle and Tack Store business. I am the electrician. I went to school to be a electrician years ago. I did not know about doing a grounding system check except making sure that I used ground rods and checking the connection of the ground wires to the ground rods. How else do I need to check the grounding system? I have opened my circuit breaker box and checked the neutrals and they are tight. The circuits that I have my computers, cameras, monitors and other sensitive electronic components do not have any non-technical loads or high amp draw items on them. I am using all residential electrical switches and receptacles. I believe my problem could be rectified by some good quality power conditioners for the camera power and coaxial, but I’m not sure that's why I am asking for your help. Sorry it took so long to reply. I hope you can pull up my web site now I was having web site hosting problems that they didn't seem to want to fix to quickly. If there's anything else you need to know just let me know.

Thanks again for all the help,

Dennis
                        dbctl

Comment

Dennis:
                          That is the very reason this website exists. Security folks helping each other. Most of us do try. The information that is shared is vetted before it is put on the wire.
                          Herb, despite being up to his hips in alligators, always tries to assist and has always come through.
                          Nathan, when he read I had a problem communicating, rose to the challenge.
                          Somehow somewhere, we do get the job done.
                          Enjoy the day,
                          Bill

Comment

just wanted to say it's cool to see you guys help each other out like this, where I am there are a few other security companies besides the one I work for and for some reason we're not suppose to like each other. anyway just wanted to say thanks for showing us that we're all on the same side
                            " You may make fun of us for what we do, but when it hits the fan, you'll be glad we were there"

Comment

Originally posted by Apolo
                              just wanted to say it's cool to see you guys help each other out like this, where I am there are a few other security companies besides the one I work for and for some reason we're not suppose to like each other. anyway just wanted to say thanks for showing us that we're all on the same side
                              Apolo:
                              Thanks. After 9/11 if we don't work with each other and help each other we will certainly be inviting disaster.
                              That is why I share my security guide with anyone who asks for it. Some of the folks who have received it tell me here or separate email that they found it useful. That is what this profession must become.
                              There is more to life than the bottom dollar.
                              Dennis asked for help, Herb Goldstein and I pitched in. In this case, Nathan ran with the ball when there was a password problem. That is just what this is all about.
                              Enjoy the day,
                              Bill

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X