websight that reviews CCTV cameras?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• websight that reviews CCTV cameras?

Is there a websight that reviews CCTV cameras and has sample videos or photos from them under varying environmental conditions?

I need to buy a bunch of cameras, but would like some way to tell how good a picture a particular camera produces before making a purchase.

unfortunately there isnt one out there... i design systems for hotel, hospitals, and industrial clients here in the midwest and have had a lot of success this year with Ganz for indoor domes, Pelco for PTZs, and Toshiba/Panasonic for day/night and wdr box cameras.

my 2cents

Comment

I've used Ganz cameras for 16 years (used to be Konica). They are part of CBC America / Computar. Anyway, I've used lots of stuff, and replaced lots of stuff. I've got a big box of bad cameras (need to toss,thought they might come in handy as dummies), and not much Ganz in there, but a lot of others including JVC, AD, Sony, Panasonic and others. The Ganz cameras just keep working.

I do use others occasionally when Ganz doesn't fit the bill, such as PTZ's (Pelco and Vicon), and specialty cameras.

That's my 2 cents.
      sigpic
      Rocket Science
      Making everything else look simple, since 1958.

http://my.opera.com/integrator/blog/
      One Man's Opinion

The Future. It isn't what it used to be.

Comment

Some info on cameras from Charlie Pierce at
        http://www.ltctrainingcntr.com/00_Default.htm
        Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted.
        Groucho Marx

Comment

+1 on LTC.

Charlie is a former columnist for SecurityInfoWatch.com, and if his schedule permits it, we hope to have him back. He works full time with a security/monitoring company now, but I'm sure is available to offer thoughts on different camera models. Contact him via the LTC website.

One of the reasons SecurityInfoWatch.com doesn't have a surveillance camera review section currently is the difficulty in standardizing a review. It's a time-consuming process, and if I test the camera out to watch a door in a dimly lit hallway, but you want it on a pole watching your parking lot, then what have I helped. I still think that dealer companies and integrator companies will always be able to provide the best reviews of cameras since every day they put a wide variety of cameras in a wide variety of situations. It may not be a scientific as a "consumer reports" type of testing, but it's real life, and that's what we live in.

Our sister publication, the magazine Security Technology & Design is doing a review of video analytics, but to do that, they had to hire it out to a nationally known integrator who had the lab/facility to be able to do this efficiently. Look for more of that in the future, but I don't think we'll ever be able to be a dedicated "reviews" platform.

However, in the meantime, this forum can actually serve that function fairly well. If you've had an experience with a piece of electronic security equipment, good, bad, or neutral, how about posting it up here? The threads are all completely searchable, and while it's not a dedicated review platform, it's what I guess I would call a "raw" review.

Geoff Kohl
          SecurityInfoWatch.com

Comment

As it stands right now with the high demand for CCTV from all directions, those in the know and are willing to help all of us are barely able to catch a breath.
            As reliable resources who have never let me down in either my government career or subsequent have been Charlie and Jack Gin. There are probably other top-notch folks out there but when your tender parts are in a vise, it is refreshing to have those two turn the screw in a counter clockwise motion. For me they have done that in spades.
            Glad to be back and enjoy the day,
            Bill

Comment

Originally posted by gbsdvr
              Visit w w w . g b s d v r . c o m for buying a complete system.
              Talk about a necro thread!

Monitors, please remove this troll trash and hurl it and its author into the outer darkness, where there is much wailing and gnashing of teeth.
              Last edited by SecTrainer; 06-26-2012, 10:06 AM.
              "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

Originally posted by SecTrainer View Post
                Talk about a necro thread!

Monitors, please remove this troll trash and hurl it and its author into the outer darkness, where there is much wailing and gnashing of teeth.
                How do you gnash your teeth, exactly? I've always wondered. Best I can do is grind them together. I tried gnashing and got a headache.
                The CCTV Blog.

"Expert" is something like "leader". It's not a title that you can ever claim for yourself no matter what you might know or might have done. It's a title that others bestow on you based on their assessment of what you know and what you have done.

-SecTrainer

Comment

Cameraman. I forget, do you live in bmore or ny? Bmore city police just announced they have recovered over 900 illegal guns since Jan. City is gettin worse.

Comment

Originally posted by capurato View Post
                    Cameraman. I forget, do you live in bmore or ny? Bmore city police just announced they have recovered over 900 illegal guns since Jan. City is gettin worse.
                    I live in Central NJ, work in NYC, and spend a lot of time in Baltimore because that's where my wife is from. My wife would love for us to live in Bmore, though.
                    The CCTV Blog.

"Expert" is something like "leader". It's not a title that you can ever claim for yourself no matter what you might know or might have done. It's a title that others bestow on you based on their assessment of what you know and what you have done.

-SecTrainer

Comment

Oh, and to answer OP, IPVM has done quite a few groundbreaking camera reviews, although they only review IP cameras. And it's subscription only.
                      The CCTV Blog.

-SecTrainer

Comment

Originally posted by CameraMan View Post
                        I live in Central NJ, work in NYC, and spend a lot of time in Baltimore because that's where my wife is from. My wife would love for us to live in Bmore, though.
                        Got it. My lady friend is from upper east side and I will be moving there soon.

Comment

gsm remote camera

I think this is the best way for me to go for cameras i live out in the country and dont have cable or comcast. Does anybody know about gsm remote camera my questions are can you have more then one camera send pictures to the same phone .also how do they work just want to make shure that i can use these cameras in my house without hard line or a hotspot i think all i need is my cell phone ? Can you recomend a place to get them thanks gerald

Comment

Originally posted by capurato View Post
                            Got it. My lady friend is from upper east side and I will be moving there soon.
                            Can you work in the city, or do you still have to get your squarebadge license?
                            The CCTV Blog.

-SecTrainer

Comment

Originally posted by CameraMan View Post
                              Can you work in the city, or do you still have to get your squarebadge license?
                              Heh gotta get licensed. They pay for it. I may work in jersey city. Actually, i won't have to be licensed as I would be a LPM and my job would not be to arrest people...

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X