No announcement yet.

Tips for your Fire Extinguisher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sure you could google a video. Do you have more than a few people who would like to learn more? My old manufacturing company would have the fire department come out to train us, and that was for only 15-20 people. No cost. They did it as community service. Aside from the classroom training they'd bring a pan filled a flammable liquid and everyone got to extinguish it.

If you don't anyone else interested maybe they'd let you come down to the station get a little one on one instruction.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Blart II View Post
      For Anyone, I have a Question . . .

I work as a security guard in a commercial office building. There are 4 or more fire extinguishers on each floor. Is there a one-day course and/or certification for using fire extinguishers ? If so, who offers this...the fire extinguisher compnay, or the company that provides/inspects them ?

I have never operated one, and I would like to be be able to use one effectively and efficiently, if need be. I would like hands-on experience, over just watching a video of one in use, although that would he helpful.
      I think the OSHA page has about everything you are looking to know. http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/evac...table_use.html

We covered than in our commission training class. Also my guard company handbook has a short section on how to properly use a extinguisher by omploying the PASS technique.

I am not sure if there is a certification for fire extinguishers. I have never had one that I can recall.

Comment

You presented some good tips and its really helpful in any related circumstances. Thanks for sharing.
        Ronny
        Mr Locks - NYC Locksmith

Comment

Originally posted by mrlocks View Post
          You presented some good tips and its really helpful in any related circumstances. Thanks for sharing.
          Reported as spam.
          I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
          Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Well the discussion has become so long here. I am adding few points here which are about fighting for fire safety:

* Try to stand at the exit door.
            * Move closer to the fire only when it diminishes otherwise stay far from it.
            * Aim at the base of the fir with the help of using sweeping motion.
            * Buddy systems help a lot in such emergency. You can call for help in the situation of emergency.
            * Be sure to watch the area for awhile to ensure it doesn't re-ignite.

Comment

Originally posted by amaygates111 View Post
              Well the discussion has become so long here. I am adding few points here which are about fighting for fire safety:

* Try to stand at the exit door.
              * Move closer to the fire only when it diminishes otherwise stay far from it.
              * Aim at the base of the fir with the help of using sweeping motion.
              * Buddy systems help a lot in such emergency. You can call for help in the situation of emergency.
              * Be sure to watch the area for awhile to ensure it doesn't re-ignite.
              Amy, these are some particularly dumb tips, if I don't say so myself. Are you just trying to get your signature link in as many places as possible? Is that what is going on here?

I mean, c'mon:
              "Move closer to the fire only when it diminishes otherwise stay far from it."

So if the fire is big, I shouldn't move toward it? And when the fire fades a little, I should move close to it? Not worrying that it might reignite?

Consider yourself warned...I can see through the charade, and if it doesn't stop, the ban-spam stick will be swung.

Geoff

Comment

It's the same with Mr. Locks and Chicagolocksmith.
                Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
                Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

I like this use for a fire extinguisher
                  I will always fondly remember the days of mall security, the expressions on the thankful patrons you saved from certain molestation in the mall bathrooms. The look of pain in the drooling face of the shoplifter you just choke-holded to unconsciousness

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed in the above quote are the views of Gecko45 and do not reflect
                  the views and opinions of ONLP.

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis Baillie View Post
                    It's the same with Mr. Locks and Chicagolocksmith.
                    You've made me sad mentioning this. I miss FEDSEC & his twin EdmontonLP

Actually I've got a deep dark secret. I'm registered under another name too. I registered many years ago & made a few posts then forgot about the forum. When I found it again I re-registered forgetting that I was already a member.
                    Last edited by HotelSecurity; 03-18-2011, 08:29 PM.
                    I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                    Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

great tips for arson checklist

we have a great arson checklist that we created, that you might like check it out

fire watch security guard arson checklist

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X