Most important fire safety device/system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most important fire safety device/system

After your fire detection/alarm system what do you consider to be your most important/useful fire safety device/system in your building(s).

In my 2 high rises I consider it to be the pressurized stairways. Next is me
    I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
    Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

In my case we don't have pressurized stairs for protection.
    I work a 2-level retailers warehouse building that might have 150 people working.
    There are 2 officers in a 475,00 sf. building.
    The floors and bins are LOADED with fuel almost always.
    Even though we have all the required fire extinguishers and fire hoses (no public address system) in the event of a REAL fire my priority is to get the people out of the buiding.
    My most important fire safety device might just be to determine that manning a fire hose is not an option for me.
    CALL 911 and get out.

Comment

NOTIFICATION DEVICES, of course!
      The CCTV Blog.

"Expert" is something like "leader". It's not a title that you can ever claim for yourself no matter what you might know or might have done. It's a title that others bestow on you based on their assessment of what you know and what you have done.

-SecTrainer

Comment

Originally posted by CameraMan View Post
        NOTIFICATION DEVICES, of course!

What he said.
        I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it.

Comment

2 Wire and 4 Wire Alarm Systems for Better Office Security

Two Wire Fire Alarm System

The two-wire fire or the smoke alarm system is powered from the circuitry on the control panel. The two-wire switch on the end power system and thereby triggers the alarm.
          If the control panel in your office compatible to work with a 2 wire system then you with no other considerations you can install it.
          Whenever the system detects smoke or fire, an electrical short is sent to the circuitry panel. This short triggers the system to sound an alarm.

Four Wire Fire Alarm System

The four-wire alarm system generally uses different wires for power and for triggering the alarm.
          Among the four wires, two generate the power for the smoke alarm and the other two are directly connected to the alarm component.
          This will result in a four-wire system self-activating itself since the alarm wires are separate.
          There is a separate end-of-line relay for the wires of the alarm which the triggers the alarm to activate.

The Similarities and Difference

There are two types of fire and smoke detectors, the photoelectric and ionization, and either type can be used in both two wires and four wires alarm system.
          The photoelectric detector sense large amount of smoke while ionization detector senses small amount of smoke and triggers the alarm.
          The main difference between two-wire and four-wire systems is their connection as well as the number of wires.
          You cannot use the control panel made for four-wire alarm system for a two-wire alarm system.

In case you decide to use a 4-wire smoke detector, you need to install a separate power monitor on the two last wires for the alarm and the power.

Comment

According to my Army Drill Sargent, the most important fire safety device is the fire extinguisher. Back in 70s at boot camp, our instructor informed us that in case of a fire in our classroom somebody had to grab the fire extinguisher on their way out the door; don't use it, just get it out of the building! We were taught to not ask questions, just do as we were told, so I never asked why. I guess he figured that the extinguisher was too valuable to risk its loss in a fire!

Comment

These things depend on need if someone feel secure without any security system then it's fine other wise there several things which can be install in a house or office like CCTV cameras, building security alarms and lone worker alarm for official use etc.
              CCTV Security

Comment

Besides the person on duty who discovers the potential fire and makes the proper notifications, I'd say the inergen system.
                Sergeant Phil Esterhaus: "Hey, let's be careful out there.."

THE VIEWS EXPRESSED ON THIS WEBSITE/BLOG ARE MINE ALONE AND DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF MY EMPLOYER.

Comment

Originally posted by paulmike View Post
                  These things depend on need if someone feel secure without any security system then it's fine other wise there several things which can be install in a house or office like CCTV cameras, building security alarms and lone worker alarm for official use etc.
                  CCTV cameras and Securiy Alarms. F*ck off spammer.
                  I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                  Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Of course, a fire alarm to notify you if there are flames burning in your home!

But of course, there's also a need to know the different types of fire in order to provide the right remedy in case a real fire ensues. What I'm saying is, there's a specific fire extinguisher/remedy for a fire caused by solid objects such as papers, candles, etc and fire caused by greases, oils and the like.

Different Types of Fire And How to Deal With Them explains this in detail. Having a fire extinguisher at home is a great plus too. The entire family should likewise be oriented and knowledgeable in case a real fire happens. Better be prepared than sorry.

Comment

For me, Water Sprinkler System is next... This will turn on automatically when this system detect heat. 99% of fire were controlled by this system.
                      Newhams Security System

Comment

great

I think its great to have some sort of sprinkler system as well. However what do you do if there is an arson? We create a mini security guard service arson checklist that you might like.

Comment

Originally posted by abjohnson View Post
                          I think its great to have some sort of sprinkler system as well. However what do you do if there is an arson? We create a mini security guard service arson checklist that you might like.
                          Thank you...
                          I've had to do fire watch more than a few times; some times because of shoddy maintenace.

Comment

how about a FAT insurance policy so you don't risk your life trying to 'save' anything?

I've heard policies will range from "what you could get for the stuff at the flea market" to "We buy you all new stuff, top shelf, full retail and not all picked over on sale stuff like you bought".

I've heard the diff in payout might be 5x or more greater but the premiums aren't even 2x as much.

Comment

Mines have a unique fire notification system: Stench Gas!

Since it is too loud underground for a regular old bell, Ethyl Mercaptan (engineered so that it is not flammable) is injected into the compressed air and ventilation system, and carried throughout the mine. Since it will take the unmistakeable and unpleasent odor longer to reach some headings/stopes than others, once FA/Security (or the Hoistman) releases Stench, FA/Sec gets on the radio and announces three times on every operating channel "Stench Has Been Injected, Follow Emergency Procedures." This means going to a refuge station, or barricading and sealing your heading so smoke/gasses can't get to you.

So, the most important device would be the Stench Box where stench can be dumped manually.

Following dumping stench, the MOST important thing is COMMUNICATION: Other mines need to be notified that we dumped stench so they can do the same (certain headings are connected, smoke and gasses can travel to other mines--HotelSecurity may remember the MacIntyre Mine fire, during which the gasses travelled into the Hollinger Mine--and we need to be sure that there is no one tagged in on the shared drifts. Also, communication between surface and underground, shift bosses and the tagboard coordinator and Incident Commander, and getting Mine Rescue forthwith.
                              World's Youngest Grumpy Old Man

AF&AM

Opinions expressed in my posts are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer, the client, or SIW Forums (unless specifically stated for moderation purposes)

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X