Covert Cameras and Recording

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Covert Cameras and Recording

I am just wondering as to what some of the best covert cameras are and as to where to get them at.

I am just curious because earlier today I stopped in at a security store and they had a couple of camera's, but most of them were not very covert at all. Many of the one's that they had kind of resembled the kinds of camera's that you might typically find in a bank.

The kind that I am looking for would be relatively small, battery operated and wireless as well as being capable of being mounted on a wall.

I would also like to be able to record with it so that if someone that I think I can trust steals from me while they are inside my apartment then I will at least have something that I can show to the police.

Another thing that I want to do is to be able to gather enough information about people that I know and don't know so that if for example something happens inside then I will have all of the evidence that I need to have them convicted in a court of law.

The best covert cameras are often ones you build yourself. You can make them blend in properly. But there are many available in the form of wall clocks, desk clocks, binders, lamps, emergency lighting, smoke detectors (don't understand how they can sell them, as they are against fire code in most of the US & Europe, hence illegal to use.), and numerous other designs. Google it.

As far as recording, we're starting to see them with SD cards, but that would be short term. Also wireless poses a battery issue. Long term I would do wired, to a digital recorder.
    sigpic
    Rocket Science
    Making everything else look simple, since 1958.

http://my.opera.com/integrator/blog/
    One Man's Opinion

The Future. It isn't what it used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by integrator97 View Post
      The best covert cameras are often ones you build yourself. You can make them blend in properly. But there are many available in the form of wall clocks, desk clocks, binders, lamps, emergency lighting, smoke detectors (don't understand how they can sell them, as they are against fire code in most of the US & Europe, hence illegal to use.), and numerous other designs. Google it.

As far as recording, we're starting to see them with SD cards, but that would be short term. Also wireless poses a battery issue. Long term I would do wired, to a digital recorder.
      What options would be best for someone who lives in an apartment in a bad neighborhood and who needs to have some way of covertly monitoring the inside of their apartment so that they can try to catch and prosecute those who are stealing but without making it obvious to people.

I am just curious because as a neighbor pointed out to me earlier tonight and as I have experienced myself personally in the past even those people whom you think you know and can trust can turn around and stab you in the back in a moments notice without any kind of warning whatsoever.

The mounting locations that I have in mind are made of brick so trying to put screws or nails in the wall would not be very practical and more than likely would not be appreciated by management at all.

Comment

Back to the lamp. End table knick knack. Book or knick knack on a bookshelf.
        sigpic
        Rocket Science

One Man's Opinion

Comment

There is only one camera in existance that uses batteries, can go for more than 8 hours at a time with batteries, and is wireless (using 3G networks). It's from a company called Videofied. It isn't very covert- it kind of looks like a motion sensor- but there are no other battery powered cameras, let alone battery powered wireless cameras, out there.
          The CCTV Blog.

"Expert" is something like "leader". It's not a title that you can ever claim for yourself no matter what you might know or might have done. It's a title that others bestow on you based on their assessment of what you know and what you have done.

-SecTrainer

Comment

There are a lot of choices for you. Also there are many covert cameras on the market. In your case and worry, I think you'd better get a camera with a built-in motion detector. This kind of camera can use the GSM network to send you SMS and MMS to your cellphone. As far as I know this is the newest product on the market.

Comment

The type of camera you're looking for is readily available in "spy" shops and online. However, you should be looking at suitable locks for your doors and windows and contacting police if you have a problem with break-ins. You can also have an alarm system installed and some have video that goes to a live operator.

Taken at face value, your dilemna sounds to be an issue with your friends or associates since it appears you think a video recording will help identify them (whereas, if you don't know who they are, and the police officer who responds doesn't recognize them, there's not a lot to go on).

Of course, we're trusting that you're being truthful with your question. Hidden cameras that are integrated to clock radios or other household objects would do the trick for you, but you seem to want to be able to covertly mount it somewhere specific... I certainly hope you don't intend on spying on a roomate, bathroom activities, or neighbors.

You should be considerate of privacy issues if you, for example, have a covert camera installed in a guest bedroom for security, and neglect to mention it and/or turn it off when a friend stays over.

Comment

I think maybe smoke detector can be a better choice, you can google and have a check about this camera...May it help you.
                www.homesecurity361.com

Comment

Originally posted by katie1985 View Post
                  I think maybe smoke detector can be a better choice, you can google and have a check about this camera...May it help you.
                  We've discussed this on this forum elsewhere. It is against fire codes (IFC and NFPA) to install any fire alarm device which does not actually function as intended. So you can use a smoke detector as long as it still works as a smoke detector. I've never seen one that does.
                  sigpic
                  Rocket Science

One Man's Opinion

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X