Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the types of CCTV security systems available?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the types of CCTV security systems available?

I need to know What are the types of CCTV security systems available?

Help us out, Dorra.

Do you mean different vendors or different methods of storage or transmission or what?

At the basics on a technology level, there are analog CCTV systems which typically run the video from a camera back to a digital video recorder (DVR) or video cassette recorder (VCR) via a coaxial cable. Viewing is typically done on monitors at a single location using technology that allows you to "matrix" the video feeds onto monitors. Admiittedly, this is an egregiously simple explanation, and all you pros who spent 30 years doing CCTV, please don't blame me for oversimplifying it.

The newest systems uses IP-based communications over wireless networks or standard wired data networks to move video from so-called IP-cameras to network video recorders or network-connected servers. You would view the video from a monitor connected to a PC or from a video wall connected to a a server driving that wall.

There are also hybrid systems that convert video from analog cameras into network data streams for storing and viewing. Hybrid video surveillance systems can take so many different forms, that it's probably not worth getting into the architectures of such systems unless that's what you really want.

That's all pretty basic stuff, but I'm not sure that was what you were really wanting to ask. Feel free to clarify your question and restate it. We've got some folks in here who are very knowledgeable on this stuff, but we need more details on what you need to know.

-Geoff/SIW

Comment

Originally posted by SIW Editor View Post
      Help us out, Dorra.

Do you mean different vendors or different methods of storage or transmission or what?

At the basics on a technology level, there are analog CCTV systems which typically run the video from a camera back to a digital video recorder (DVR) or video cassette recorder (VCR) via a coaxial cable. Viewing is typically done on monitors at a single location using technology that allows you to "matrix" the video feeds onto monitors. Admiittedly, this is an egregiously simple explanation, and all you pros who spent 30 years doing CCTV, please don't blame me for oversimplifying it.

The newest systems uses IP-based communications over wireless networks or standard wired data networks to move video from so-called IP-cameras to network video recorders or network-connected servers. You would view the video from a monitor connected to a PC or from a video wall connected to a a server driving that wall.

There are also hybrid systems that convert video from analog cameras into network data streams for storing and viewing. Hybrid video surveillance systems can take so many different forms, that it's probably not worth getting into the architectures of such systems unless that's what you really want.

That's all pretty basic stuff, but I'm not sure that was what you were really wanting to ask. Feel free to clarify your question and restate it. We've got some folks in here who are very knowledgeable on this stuff, but we need more details on what you need to know.

-Geoff/SIW
      Helle SIW Editro,

Thanks for your information.

It is clear for me, but also I want to know the vendors of CCTV.

Thanks for your help

Comment

There are literally hundreds, maybe even thousands, of companies that sell components related to CCTV. You are just going to have to be a bit more specific about what you're looking for. You also have to think about what country you're in, because companies that sell cameras in Europe might not sell security technology in the Americas.

Tell us more about you and your interest, please.

Thanks,
        Geoff

Comment

I personally carry over 12,000 different items from nearly 100 different manufacturers. let's narrow this down a bit, shall we?
          The CCTV Blog.

"Expert" is something like "leader". It's not a title that you can ever claim for yourself no matter what you might know or might have done. It's a title that others bestow on you based on their assessment of what you know and what you have done.

-SecTrainer

Comment

Originally posted by CameraMan View Post
            I personally carry over 12,000 different items
            Dont your arms get tired?

Comment

Originally posted by ScottFree View Post
              Dont your arms get tired?

Obviously you are unaware of a little miracle of chemistry called 'steroids'.
              The CCTV Blog.

"Expert" is something like "leader". It's not a title that you can ever claim for yourself no matter what you might know or might have done. It's a title that others bestow on you based on their assessment of what you know and what you have done.

-SecTrainer

Comment

Originally posted by dorra View Post
                I need to know What are the types of CCTV security systems available?
                Before you go too far consider, what is the application, what is the environment which includes both internal and external.
                Obtain suggestions from all divisions within your enterprise. Listen carefully to your corporate counsel giving weight to rules and laws in the places or places where you are located.
                Please be advised, there is no "one size fits all."
                Enjoy the day,
                Bill

Comment

More info needed

Dorra,

In order to assist you you need to ask well defined questions, the two that you have posed are much too broad. People are glad to help but we can't discern what you are asking from your somewhat brief questions.
                  "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." G. Orwell

Comment

Dorra -

This is like asking "what kinds of locks are there?" or "what kinds of fences are there?".

The most important questions are:

1. What's the setting? (Home, small office/business, warehouse, etc?)

2. Are you looking for a permanent installation or something temporary?

3. What do you hope to achieve (see) by installing video? What problem are you trying to solve?

4. Do you need high-resolution capability (i.e. facial recognition)?

5. Are there any video systems already in place? If so, what are they?

6. What are the lighting conditions? Are they variable?

7. Can you pull wire (cable or network) or do you need wireless?

8. Will this video be live-monitored, recorded or both? On-site or off?

9. Do you need to integrate this video system with an existing network or other security systems?

10. What's your budget for this system?

A lot of these are simple yes/no questions and the others should be fairly easy to answer. With this information, I'm sure some of our crackerjack video folks can start to help you.
                    Last edited by SecTrainer; 05-02-2009, 12:10 PM.
                    "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

Originally posted by john_harrington View Post
                      Dorra,

In order to assist you you need to ask well defined questions, the two that you have posed are much too broad. People are glad to help but we can't discern what you are asking from your somewhat brief questions.
                      John, you are right. Dorra did ask some very broad questions. But maybe she asked them because she didn't know how to ask specific ones.

Thumbs up to SecTrainer for following up with great questions!

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X