Wireless Transmitters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless Transmitters

I know wireless isn't the way to go for surveillance, but I came across this product and was wondering if anyone has used it. If so, how well did it do. let me know thanks. http://www.videotransmitters.com/ind...4&model_ID=378

Let me know Thanks.

Originally posted by pburns02 View Post
    I know wireless isn't the way to go for surveillance, but I came across this product and was wondering if anyone has used it. If so, how well did it do. let me know thanks. http://www.videotransmitters.com/ind...4&model_ID=378

Let me know Thanks.
    I disagree. Wireless is a very effective tool. For years I have use wireless for situations where a wired camera wasn't possible or pratical, like coldboxes and freezers, and short term surveillances.
    Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
    Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

If I may add to that last:

There are two types of wireless devices when it comes to the security industry- crappy and expensive. The crappy stuff is very, very crappy, and the expensive stuff is expensive indeed.

Sometimes a really expensive wireless xmtr is cheaper than a very long pull, though. But nothing is more expensive than using a cheap xmtr in a critical function, because that will lose you the client.

On the specific model you linked to: it's a good company, and the specs look right, assuming you're going building-to-building with a line of site. Is that what you're doing?
      The CCTV Blog.

"Expert" is something like "leader". It's not a title that you can ever claim for yourself no matter what you might know or might have done. It's a title that others bestow on you based on their assessment of what you know and what you have done.

-SecTrainer

Comment

I agree with Cameraman and Curtis. Wireless is very useful in video surveillance. The specs. for the system you linked to are ok. As Cameraman stated there is crap and excellent systems. There are many wireless systems on the market with widely diverse specifications.

When specifying a wireless system there must be some research that goes into the selection.

1. Environment.
        Is there line of site from the transmitter to reciever. This will determine the frequency in which you will want to use. For clearer site you can use higher frequency, i.e. 5.8ghz. For lower site line, i.e. a tree or potential heavy rain downpours etc. a lower frequency is desired like 900 mhz.

2. Potential surrounding signals
        If the system is going in a residential neighborhood 900 mhz would probably not be a good choice because of all of the wireless phones and other equipment that can degrade or interfere with your signal over distance.

3. Bandwidth requirements
        In most cases Higher frequencies = higher bandwidth. Although individual systems will vary even though the frequencies are the same.

4. Encryption requirements
        Any time you set up a wireless system you should look into the degree of security required for that system. For example, If you are installing a camera on your barn and transmitting back to your house you may not need encryption. If you are installing a camera in your barn that has many collector cars and other expensive stuff in it you may want encryption so nobody with a reciever can watch and plan a crime.

Comment

I'm going to be putting it the wireless transmitter on a light pole and shooting it down a hill 374 feet to the receiver which will be mounted on top of a roof. The thing I'm concerned about is that there might be some signal reduction due to some tree's that might interfere. Other than that it's pretty much a line of sight. And the specs on this said that it can go up to 2,000 feet with the antenna's that are included. And 4 miles with completely no obstruction line of sight with a bigger antenna.

Comment

Just a short trip in the wayback machine here. I was in a position to be the first to use wireless video in the grocery industry. As a matter of fact, it had yet to be released for commercial use, so I think I was the first in the retail industry to use wireless. Now for the return trip......

Back when wireless was in its infancy stages (for commercial use) I used it in grocery settings. The transmitters were often placed in freezers, cold boxes, and warehouses. The signal transmitted to a location, up to several blocks away, where it was received in a surveillance van. Rarely had any problems with the units amd they survived well in the hot desert sun in Arizona.

In line-of-site applications I often received signals up to one-quarter mile. Of course, todays units are far more powerful.
            Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
            Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

Judging by what you're saying this should turn out to be a pretty decent product. Thanks a lot for your input. I'm going to be using this in the near future so I'll tell everyone how well it worked.

Comment

Does anyone know of any wireless Video and PTZ control Transmitters? The product that I mentioned before only does video it won't send PTZ signals. In order to have video and PTZ control you have to buy another transmitter like this one http://www.videotransmitters.com/ind...l4&model_ID=18

If anyone knows of a product that combines both please let me know thanks.
                Last edited by pburns02; 01-22-2008, 02:28 PM. Reason: grammer

Comment

I have used these systems quite often and they work fine. Even here in the desert heat.

http://www.trangobroadband.com/wirel...products.shtml

The 900 mhz model will also do ptz control.

The system you linked should work as well but I have not used them.

Comment

What I was asking was, If there was a product that combined the PTZ control and the Video into one transmitter. So I won't have to buy two transmitters. One for Video and the other for PTZ control.

Comment

Originally posted by pburns02 View Post
                      What I was asking was, If there was a product that combined the PTZ control and the Video into one transmitter. So I won't have to buy two transmitters. One for Video and the other for PTZ control.
                      The Trango 900 mhz does both in one system. You do not need a seperate transmitter/reciever for data and video.

"Oops" That system used to do both, sorry. I guess they changed it. That was stupid. I've used probably 20 of them and never had a problem. I wonder why they changed it.

Another way you can do it is get a ptz-ethernet translater then use a single wireless broadband or wi-fi transmitter.
                      Last edited by Rooney; 01-23-2008, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Shoot. I would use a ptz-Ethernet wifi transmitter, but it has to go about 374 feet down a hill. So I'm thinking my best bet would be to just get a stationary camera with a fixed lens. If there are any more suggestions please feel free to let me know. Thanks.

Does anyone know of anything like this http://cu1.stores.yahoo.net/wirelessptzc.html that has a higher frequency that isn't to spendy?
                        Last edited by pburns02; 01-24-2008, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X