Online Tech Meeting with a Vendor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Online Tech Meeting with a Vendor?

Hi folks, one of the things I thought I could provide in our forums was a chance for you to chat/post directly with a vendor to get technical questions answered/discuss changes/how to use/tips/techniques/etc.

Here's what I have in mind:

A special thread (possibly a sub-forum) where, for one hour, a product engineer or tech manager from a company of your choosing (I'd like to start with a video surveillance company) is available to answer questions that you ask.

In theory, how it would work is that you'd log in and the video company product manager and/or engineer would be there for that specific one-hour period. You'd be able to post a question about their products or working with their products, and they'd be able to respond directly. For example, if you have a tech question about a firmware update for a DVR, you could ask it, and they'd respond. It would approximate a "chat" format, but using the forums platform so they could post links to product sheets and technical information.

All the responses would be saved (just like normal posts), but by scheduling it for a particular time, you could ask a question and then ask follow-up questions if the answer needs further details. With luck, you'd also be able to feed off other members' questions and help develop technical questions of you own.

Basically, it would be like conducting a public technical support session with a vendor of your choice, without having to get in your car and go to a conference or a meeting.

Does this interest you, and if so, what company would you like to have on board (perhaps a company whose products you are just now learning about?)? I think something like a video management system might be kind of neat to discuss, or maybe bring aboard a big vendor with a big product range?

Post up your replies/suggestions/etc. and let's see if we can't create something here that allows integrators and users to interact directly with the product developers.

Best regards,
    Geoff Kohl, SecurityInfoWatch.com

Sounds interesting, if complicated to pull off. I'd participate.

An hour might not be long enough.
    The CCTV Blog.

"Expert" is something like "leader". It's not a title that you can ever claim for yourself no matter what you might know or might have done. It's a title that others bestow on you based on their assessment of what you know and what you have done.

-SecTrainer

Comment

I am interested... We mainly carry major manufacturer products, so we can arrange internal engineer available to answer as many questions as that hour can produce or even answer questions later...

Here are the manufacturers that we support as follows:

1. American Dynamics
      2. Bosch
      3. Sanyo
      4. Mitsubishi
      5. GE Security
      6. Altronix
      7. AGN Pro
      8. CBC America/Ganz/Computar
      9. Panasonic
      10. Tokina

and few others...
      http://www.cctvshowroom.com
      http://www.everythingcctv.com

Comment

I am interested as well. Since my company manufactures mainly portable surveillance and communication systems the following areas would be of interest.

IP video products
        Wireless communications products
        Video analytics
        Harsh environment products (i.e. housings, enclosures, environmental control systems)

I am also willing to answer questions about portable systems and communications as well.

Comment

Geoff:
          I'd like to see the following two, for now, presented to forum members.
          1. Extreme CCTV, POC Jack Gin
          2. Advanced Power Solutions, POC Herb Goldstein
          Enjoy the day,
          Bill

Comment

I'd like to talk to someone about IP cameras and networks. The way things are going, we are all going to have to be network savy, and I'd like someone to explain to me why no IP cameras or DVRs play nice with Mac.
            The CCTV Blog.

"Expert" is something like "leader". It's not a title that you can ever claim for yourself no matter what you might know or might have done. It's a title that others bestow on you based on their assessment of what you know and what you have done.

-SecTrainer

Comment

Originally posted by CameraMan View Post
              I'd like to talk to someone about IP cameras and networks. The way things are going, we are all going to have to be network savy, and I'd like someone to explain to me why no IP cameras or DVRs play nice with Mac.
              ActiveX = Windows proprietary engine.

Most IP cams (MJPEG) can be used with any OS as JPEGs are the same graphics you see all over the internet you just need a basic webserver and a simple javascript to refresh it. You run into troubles with MPEG4/H.264 streams, those are usually (almost always!) ActiveX as such Windows only.

You would think someone would get smart and make a java interface, the whole problem would disappear as java is OS independent.

Comment

On it

OK, it sounds like the preferred vendor engineer would be working for a company in the IP/network video surveillance space. So let's say IP cameras. Nice place to start since it can build off knowledge that we all have on analog cameras.

I've got a couple folks in mind who would probably be willing, but I want to put you folks in the driver's seat on this. So, if you can, start tossing out IP camera vendor names you might want and I'll call 'em up.

This would probably be in January; December is too quickly passing through the hourglass.

Geoff

Comment

Panasonic. Axis. Visual Gate. Arecont Vision.
                  The CCTV Blog.

-SecTrainer

Comment

Originally posted by MetzLyov View Post
                    ActiveX = Windows proprietary engine.

Most IP cams (MJPEG) can be used with any OS as JPEGs are the same graphics you see all over the internet you just need a basic webserver and a simple javascript to refresh it. You run into troubles with MPEG4/H.264 streams, those are usually (almost always!) ActiveX as such Windows only.

You would think someone would get smart and make a java interface, the whole problem would disappear as java is OS independent.
                    Yes, but I want to hear them say it.
                    The CCTV Blog.

-SecTrainer

Comment

Originally posted by SIW Editor View Post
                      OK, it sounds like the preferred vendor engineer would be working for a company in the IP/network video surveillance space. So let's say IP cameras. Nice place to start since it can build off knowledge that we all have on analog cameras.

I've got a couple folks in mind who would probably be willing, but I want to put you folks in the driver's seat on this. So, if you can, start tossing out IP camera vendor names you might want and I'll call 'em up.

This would probably be in January; December is too quickly passing through the hourglass.

Geoff
                      Basically all the majors have them...

The trick to integrate your analog cameras in this type of an environment is to use encoders that will convert your analog signal to digital and then store everything in your NVR...

Software does vary from one manufacturer to another.. Each vendor has very specific requirements... Most do not like to see their software being interfaced with others IP cameras... So, you have to do your homework thoroughly...

One such software provider that comes in mind is Trident Tek - http://www.tridenttek.com/ that recently was acquired by Tyco Security division (American Dynamics)... From what we see, this platform does not care whose IP cameras you can use nor analog cameras through appropriate encoders.. All they care is to sell a license sit per camera... Not sure if this is the best way to go.. yet..., but it gives very flexible platform for present and also for future expansion... and the most importantly, it is an open architecture, which allows others to adhere to it.

Comment

Yes, but I want to hear them say it.
                        Who are "them"??

Comment

Who are "them"??
                          Panasonic, for example. I wanna look some Panasonic engineer right in the thread-reply when he explains exactly why none of thier IP cams work in a Mac enviroment, not even the consumer-level stuff. I especially want to see how they avoid using the word "laziness".
                          The CCTV Blog.

-SecTrainer

Comment

Panasonic, for example. I wanna look some Panasonic engineer right in the thread-reply when he explains exactly why none of thier IP cams work in a Mac enviroment, not even the consumer-level stuff. I especially want to see how they avoid using the word "laziness".
                            CameraMan,

I don't believe it is a matter of being lazy or any type of MS conspiracy- it is pure economics. There just are not a lot of MACs running in Security Control Rooms. I think over time you will see more MAC friendly devices. It is the same for access control systems, etc ( I still remember the day I had to tell Apple that their new CCure 800 would have to run on a PC!!).

There needs to be a market before the manufacturers will scramble to fill the MAC void.

John
                            "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." G. Orwell

Comment

Basically all the majors have them...

The trick to integrate your analog cameras in this type of an environment is to use encoders that will convert your analog signal to digital and then store everything in your NVR...

Software does vary from one manufacturer to another.. Each vendor has very specific requirements... Most do not like to see their software being interfaced with others IP cameras... So, you have to do your homework thoroughly...

One such software provider that comes in mind is Trident Tek - http://www.tridenttek.com/ that recently was acquired by Tyco Security division (American Dynamics)... From what we see, this platform does not care whose IP cameras you can use nor analog cameras through appropriate encoders.. All they care is to sell a license sit per camera... Not sure if this is the best way to go.. yet..., but it gives very flexible platform for present and also for future expansion... and the most importantly, it is an open architecture, which allows others to adhere to it.
                              Geoff,

I concur on IP and Trident Tek. The person at Trident Tek you want to contact is Paul Zsebedics, CEO. He is very knowledgable.

John
                              "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." G. Orwell

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X