This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wireless surveillance cameras?

I work for a large college in NC that needs to purchase more outside surveillance cameras. Everyone in our department admits we need the cameras but as far as I can tell no one is studying the issue. Currently we have only two (2) outside fiber optic (I think!) wired cameras. They have zoom and pan / tilt. Plus about 60 wired stationary cameras covering indoor locations. Our campus is 100% wireless capable so the students and staff can use their laptops just about anywhere to hook up to the internet. I have 'heard' second hand that our IS department says it is not possible to link surveillance cameras to our wireless system. I would ask them direct but they do NOT like dealing with our department plus I am very low in the pecking order in our department. I am not much of a tech geek but I do try to read and keep on on things. Can someone explain it to me? If our IS department is full of crap and such a system can be done wireless, what type of money are we talking about?
    The college has money (over 1 billion in the endowment fund) but convincing them to spend it on security upgrades is apparently hard.

Give this site a look...

Axis

Also, this article might help.

http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials...le.php/3555471
    "To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill." Sun-Tzu

Comment

Originally posted by davis002
      Give this site a look...

Axis

Good advise DAVIS002.

I would also take into consideration that you can use ip cameras with a wifi hub. Keep in mind however that most ip or wifi cameras have proprietary software for viewing and pan/tilt control. Look at the manufacturer of the current system you have in place. Alot of the camera equipment manufacturers are now making ip and wifi supported systems. If the cameras have to tie into the existing system for recording, etc. you should talk to your current supplier or installing company. Also if you are using high quality video, the compression is a major factor in determining bandwidth. If you place a bunch of 802.11 cameras around the properties it may take up alot of the bandwidth that students and faculty use.
      Last edited by Rooney; 02-10-2007, 04:51 PM. Reason: add details

Comment

Originally posted by Campus Security
        I work for a large college in NC that needs to purchase more outside surveillance cameras. Everyone in our department admits we need the cameras but as far as I can tell no one is studying the issue. Currently we have only two (2) outside fiber optic (I think!) wired cameras. They have zoom and pan / tilt. Plus about 60 wired stationary cameras covering indoor locations. Our campus is 100% wireless capable so the students and staff can use their laptops just about anywhere to hook up to the internet. I have 'heard' second hand that our IS department says it is not possible to link surveillance cameras to our wireless system. I would ask them direct but they do NOT like dealing with our department plus I am very low in the pecking order in our department. I am not much of a tech geek but I do try to read and keep on on things. Can someone explain it to me? If our IS department is full of crap and such a system can be done wireless, what type of money are we talking about?
        The college has money (over 1 billion in the endowment fund) but convincing them to spend it on security upgrades is apparently hard.
        Campus Security, there are a couple of things you have to do before you can install any type of system especially a wireless CCTV system.
        Do you have an electronic footprint in your facility?
        What are the current noise levels on your existing electrical system? Do you know how much is conductive and how much is radiative?
        How do the present hardwired camera systems work?
        What is the bandwidth of your IS department that supports its existing systems?
        Do you have a security force capable of responding to the existing CCTV and other alarm systems plus other calls that would require your services or are you already stretched thin? Don't bite off more that you can chew.
        Get a handle on these items and then send an email message to Mr. Jack Gin, of extremeCCTV and [email protected] I will give him a heads up that you might, repeat, might be sending him an email.
        Enjoy the day,
        Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Campus Security
          I have 'heard' second hand that our IS department says it is not possible to link surveillance cameras to our wireless system.
          If you absolutely need to deploy these cameras in a wireless configuration, I would recommend a wireless system that is dedicated to the video streaming function only. Most of the Network Video Cameras deployed these days are using MPEG-4 compression, whose bandwidth usage can vary on activity, creating a challenge for a shared network where there is only a fixed bandwidth available. The effect is lower frame rate at the monitored and recorded location. Also, individuals that war drive on a campus wireless network could be compromising some very critical video streams.

Why not try to use the fiber you have in your facility to extend your network. If the cameras are in an inaccessible location, there are many Professional IP-based Wireless solutions that overcome video's challenges. Some include TTI Wireless and Avalon.
          Best regards, Steve Surfaro
          Panasonic Systems Solutions / Strategic Technical Liaison

Industry Panasonic|ASIS Physical Security Council|SIA Standards|BICSI |NICET |SecurityInfoWatch.com |NetworkCameraReviews|IPCameraForum
          Fun Head-Fi|BikeForums.net|CandlePower Forums|24|My Gallery|My other car is a Trek Y-50

Comment

Wireless = Unreliable

Wireless cameras would be horribly unreliable (in relative comparison to a wired camera.) Especially 802.11 (2.4GHz). Someone could turn on a microwave or cordless phone and suddenly you lose your cameras.

Comment

Wireless CCTV does not necessarily mean IP cameras utilizing a LAN or other IT supported platform. It sounds like you are using analog cameras currently and therefore it is likely that the university would prefer to use the existing recording technology.

Take a look at offrings from Trango and SmartSite- both transceive PTZ CCTV cameras (line of sight).
              "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." G. Orwell

Comment

They do make wireless cameras, also wired, you need to make sure that you have a device that it can connect to the network with, such as a hub, wireless access, access point, switch or router.
                Last edited by SIW Editor; 05-27-2009, 09:35 AM. Reason: put your company links in your signature

Comment

Originally posted by davis002 View Post
                  Give this site a look...

Axis

As far as I'm aware, and I may be wrong, the Axis Camera Station only works with axis cameras. So incorporating any existing cameras would be impossible.
                  Hidden Cameras, Spy Gear and Home & Business Surveillance Systems

Comment

That's not an easy issue at all. Since you already have 2 outside and 60 indoor cameras it probably won't make big sense if you switch to a wireless system. The most cost efficient thing would be getting more wired cameras for surveillance and not investing money in wireless. Then you would have to systems - the existing wired and the new wireless.

Comment

Abbott was nuked.
                      Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
                      Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

Crime does happen on college campuses too much. In 2008, 88,432 crimes were reported to police on U.S. college and university campuses; 97 percent were property crimes, most prevalent being theft, and 3 percent were violent crimes. Of the violent crimes reported on U.S. college campuses, 1,288 (48 percent) were aggravated assaults, 882 (33 percent) were robberies, 511 (19 percent) were forcible rapes, and 2 (0.07 percent) were murders.

To esure the uqality of your sec cameras try to stay in well lit areas and carry a handheld flashlight or even a small LED light.

You also try AN IQ 140 systems. An IQ 140 level object detection system could certainly be used to protect a room full of computers. The system would ignore students when they are in the room using the computer but if one of the machines is taken out of the room the system will generate an alarm.
                        Communication is everything in emergencies.
                        http://www.situationware.com/
                        Mobile Incident Planning

Comment

I noticed that no one seems to have mentioned the security of the wireless signal itself. How easy would it be for someone to try and tamper with or eavesdrop on the signal when using traditional Wi-Fi technology? Proxim has scrambling technology that helps protect against this and Avigilon software has keys that can verify frames haven't been tampered with. Just some things to consider.

Wireless cameras are a viable solution, you just have to be aware of the security risks and the effect on the existing IT infrastructure. Adding cameras probably would strain the network, but there are ways to work around this such as using different subnets or setting up separate networks that go directly to the video server instead of through the main network your IS uses. Think outside the box, literally.
                          Safe Small Towns

Comment

for slove the risk of security using subnet is a better way. do you have any other good way?

Originally posted by SafeSmallTowns View Post
                            I noticed that no one seems to have mentioned the security of the wireless signal itself. How easy would it be for someone to try and tamper with or eavesdrop on the signal when using traditional Wi-Fi technology? Proxim has scrambling technology that helps protect against this and Avigilon software has keys that can verify frames haven't been tampered with. Just some things to consider.

Wireless cameras are a viable solution, you just have to be aware of the security risks and the effect on the existing IT infrastructure. Adding cameras probably would strain the network, but there are ways to work around this such as using different subnets or setting up separate networks that go directly to the video server instead of through the main network your IS uses. Think outside the box, literally.

Comment

well this thread started from 2007 is not closed yet. Four years have passed, now security cameras are inexpensive.what you should consider when buying wireless cameras is that whether it meets your needs,you know some just get unnecessary features to raise the price.

http://www.cctvfocal.com/network-ip-cameras.html

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X