ip video transmission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ip video transmission

I'm a computer and electronic technician...Lately, I have been installing analog video camera systems with no problem at all...The last installation I did took place in the building I live in. Fortunately for me, my landlord brought the whole video system...I installed 8 cameras inside and outside the building...Now he asked me if I could install ip video cameras...I do have some knowledge about computer ip address for instance but just a little bit of ip video systems...Some of the questions I have would be the following...
    1.- Do I need to configure the ip cameras with ip addresses...
    2.- Since this new installation requires at least 500 feet of coax cable, do I need a device to bring the video signal from one end to the other end ?...
    3.- How I'm going to power the cameras ?

I would like to find a good system for putting all these ip video cameras over coax....Any suggestions ??

Thank you for any help....

Is there a reason for not using ethernet or wireless connectivity? You could use analog encoders to digitize the stream. What video management software are you using? Have you looked at Avigilon's stuff?
    Safe Small Towns

Comment

Sorry, I'm new here and still learning how to post. I couldn't remember all of your questions when I clicked to reply so I'm going back over them here:

1.- Do I need to configure the ip cameras with ip addresses.

-Yes, because any device on the network has to have an IP, but how you do that is the question. They will either have static IPs or your system will assign them via DHCP.

2.- Since this new installation requires at least 500 feet of coax cable, do I need a device to bring the video signal from one end to the other end ?...

-This is where you could convert the signal via an analog encoder and send it over a wired ethernet or wireless network. For long distances, check out Proxim's stuff. Otherwise, a commercial grade wireless connection (think Zyxel - pronounced zy-wall).

3.- How I'm going to power the cameras ?

-If you get ethernet-based cameras and a supporting switch you can do power over ethernet (PoE). The switch has to be PoE enabled. If you've already bought the cameras, you're looking at having some electrical work to do to power them.
      Safe Small Towns

Comment

ip video cameras over coax

Hi....yes, I have tried some of the ethernet over coax systems...It does make the job quite easy. Usually I like to install new cabling if it's all possible because then I actually know what I'm working with. Sometimes the cabling is already in place with the coax in the run and the run may be longer than network standards. And when the job is very price competitive this is also an excellent option. The brand that I have chosen to use was nitek. I had used products in the past for analog video transmission. They make a system called etherstretch. They offer both stand-alone units and the ones I used with a gigabit switch built-in. The switch provided pelee power to the cameras in addition to receiving the ethernet over coax. Here is a link to the unit I used

http://www.nitek.net/products/networ...s/ER16500C.htm

I'm not sure how many cameras you needed to do in this job. They also make single channel units. I have used those on a few jobs with one or two cameras and they seem to work quite nice. Most of the runs I was doing were over 500 feet. I did not need to install any type of repeater to make it reach. That was also an advantage. Let me know what you think and how the job goes..

Comment

Thanks, Joey48. I hadn't heard of ethernet over coax before. I checked out Etherstretch at Nitek. I'm surprised that it can deliver both PoE and an ethernet signal and up to 500 meters - wow. I wonder how it handles interference. I know the cables are shielded, but that's a long way for a signal to go. Any idea on price for one of ER16500C models?
          Safe Small Towns

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
          Working...
          X