Standalone NVR vs. PC-based NVR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Standalone NVR vs. PC-based NVR

What type of Network Video Recorder do you prefer to work with? Is that PC-based NVR or HW-based NVR?

I prefer the standalone solution and here are my reasons for that:

1) Linux based – no viruses, no Win failure, no unexpected system restart, no influence of other applications
    2) "Invisible" black-box – easy to hide on safe place
    3) Lower power consumption in comparison with standard PC so you can save money on the electricity costs
    4) Much lower risk of data losing or uninstalling the interface due to unprofessional handling (in comparison with PC with multiple users)
    5) No need of a client software installation – just Java within InternetExplorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome or Apple Safari
    6) Client platform independent (Win, Linux and Mac)
    7) Cost-effective in comparison with buying a new PC for the software NVR (although software itself may be for free)

__________________________________________________ ______________________________________
    NVR IPCorder - Network Video Recorder for network IP cameras - http://www.ipcorder.com/en/showroom

Well, that depends. If you need lots of storage space, there PC based recording option wins on price and flexibility alone. Also, if you have a lot of cameras, it's cheaper to build a high end PC than it is to find an NVR that can handle multiple megapixel cameras.

If you have a small, standard definition system, get an NVR, but if you have a small, standard definition system, you should have gone with analog cameras in the first place.
    The CCTV Blog.

"Expert" is something like "leader". It's not a title that you can ever claim for yourself no matter what you might know or might have done. It's a title that others bestow on you based on their assessment of what you know and what you have done.

-SecTrainer

Comment

Of course John0001 may be a wee bit slanted towards NVR as he sells them.
      Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
      Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

In our 24k square foot Wayne, NJ store I have 4 PC based servers with a total of 64 cameras. I have a ton of storage and can go back, in some cases, 3 months. I have 3 servers in another store and 2 in the third. These other two stores are about half the size of Wayne. I can access from anywhere.

Now these units are not cheap. They are from i3dvr out of Canada and cost 4,500.00 for each server. Our Wayne installation ran around 125k and includes fixed cameras and PTZ's. The servers are installed in our server room with other servers. Room is temp controlled and locked with very limited access.

Roscoe

Comment

If you know what you're doing, you should be able to build a reliable server for under $1250. Storage should run you another $500, unless you want a fully redundant array, which will be ~$800. Then, all you have to pay for is the VMS software- ~$100 or less per channel.
          The CCTV Blog.

"Expert" is something like "leader". It's not a title that you can ever claim for yourself no matter what you might know or might have done. It's a title that others bestow on you based on their assessment of what you know and what you have done.

-SecTrainer

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
          Working...
          X