Is This Possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is This Possible?

When I left for the night, all 4 exterior cams were on continuous pan-tilt-zoom. Before turning off the monitor, I watched & all 4 were moving. Next day, I'm shown a review that shows 3 cams on stationery, with time/date stamp showing this started before I left. Is this even possible? How do I prove it?

Did the power reset? Check and see if the cameras did a self-reset. There should be a momentary loss of video, and then a full cycle of the motor functions (full pan, full tilt, full zoom, auto-flip, and then set to default starting position).
    The CCTV Blog.

"Expert" is something like "leader". It's not a title that you can ever claim for yourself no matter what you might know or might have done. It's a title that others bestow on you based on their assessment of what you know and what you have done.

-SecTrainer

Comment

Thanks- I'll check tomorrow night. The manager seems to think there's no way that could happen if I was watching the cams. I appreciate the feedback!

Comment

Update re: Is this possible?

Well, I was removed from the site before I had a chance to investigate Cameraman's suggestions. Probably just as well- I know nothing about CCTV & was given no training. The site supervisor even admitted he knows very little about that system. Of course, the write-up still stands, but it's my 1st one, so life goes on.

Comment

Bah, I hate when companies do site removals without proper investigation. I have a ton of experience with pan/tilt and a ton with working for a company that often seems eager to yank people for no good reason.

There is often a setting with CCTV that will cause a camera to stop where there is motion in the picture. This is desigend to focus on specific movement in case something happens that may be important to record. If this is the case, a camera will stop on that movement until it is reset. It could be as simple as the wind shaking the camera or a bird flies into the picture, or even a bug crawling across the shield in view of the lense A site supervisor should be intellignet enough and experienced enough to know the fundamentals of the equipment at his disposal. If he/she doesn't understand everything there is to know about the equipment, he/she has no business being a site supervisor.

Another cause could be the age of the camera or parts going bad. Or the camera could need cleaning. Gunk does get in the moving parts and can sometimes cause a camera to stop. If these are the problem, it will happen again. 3 cameras at once tells me that there is something going on besides simple human error. It could have even been a programming error. There are a lot of possibilities.

To do a site removal based on something this minor is absolutely insane. If anything, it's an opportunity to do additional training. Doing removals over stupid crap like this just makes the company look incompetent. Clients aren't as stupid as many managers in branch offices seem to take them for. Obviously your site supervisor is only thinking of his own repurtation and doesn't have the back of his officers. Honestly, you're better off away from the clown.
          Last edited by HC_Security; 10-01-2011, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Yeah, sometimes security sux

I'm not happy about the way this was handled, but it all worked out in the end- they transferred me to a site that pays more per hour- go figure!

Comment

Whoever manages that video system failed. Virtually every PTZ can be programmed to resume its pattern after the operator has taken manual control. Blaming an operator; particularly one whom acknowledges that they have not been trained, is ridiculous at best.
              "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." G. Orwell

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
              Working...
              X