Question about IP Cameras

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about IP Cameras

How do IP cameras receive their power? I know that analog or traditional cameras usually have a second line coming out of the camera that goes to it's power source which powers the camera and any additional items in the enclosure like a heater, fan, PTZ motor, etc. Do IP cameras work the same way OR since they run over a LAN do they recieve their power from their LAN wire itself?
    Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be courageous; be strong. - 1 Corinthians 16:13

The cleanliness of our hearts, The strength of our limbs, and commitment to our promise.

My military contract is up and over. However, I never needed to affirm that I would defend the constitution, our freedoms, our way of life from enemies both domestic and foreign. Do not think that since I am no longer in the military, I will not pick up a weapon to defend my family, my home or my country. - Me!

Both ways

The answer is both.
    An IP can be plugged into a separate power source (just like an analog camera), but many models of IP cameras support Power over Ethernet (PoE), which sends the power on the same line used for data ... the LAN line. It seems that PoE support is becoming almost a de facto attribute of the newer IP cameras.

Here's a good article about PoE which discusses not just powering the cameras but also the related devices (heaters/blowers/etc.).

http://www.securityinfowatch.com/roo...o-tricks-trade

GEoff

Comment

Thank you, Geoff for your response I am working on helping a local non-profit with a security upgrade and I think IP cameras may be the more practical way for them to go.
      Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be courageous; be strong. - 1 Corinthians 16:13

The cleanliness of our hearts, The strength of our limbs, and commitment to our promise.

My military contract is up and over. However, I never needed to affirm that I would defend the constitution, our freedoms, our way of life from enemies both domestic and foreign. Do not think that since I am no longer in the military, I will not pick up a weapon to defend my family, my home or my country. - Me!

Comment

Originally posted by RBender
        By the way, if we talk about Power over Ethernet.
        Almost no PTZ cameras support standard POE 802.3af.
        Except for a few cameras, like PanasonicNS 202
        Lots of newer Axis cameras use 802.3at-2009, or High PoE as Axis calls it. Good for PTZs and heater/blowers.
        The CCTV Blog.

"Expert" is something like "leader". It's not a title that you can ever claim for yourself no matter what you might know or might have done. It's a title that others bestow on you based on their assessment of what you know and what you have done.

-SecTrainer

Comment

Most IP cameras uses Power over Ethernet or PoE to receive their power, but there are some IP cameras that require too much current and can't be powered over Ethernet. So, it still depends on the IP camera you have.

Comment

Well, that really depends upon the camera you are using, some may use from Ethernet some need separate power option.
            Ronny
            Mr Locks - NYC Locksmith

Comment

IP cameras

This is unlike broadcast television where any receiver that is correctly tuned can pick up the signal from the airwaves. Directly connected in this context includes systems linked by microwave, infrared beams, etc.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
              Working...
              X