Is wireless really a viable option?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is wireless really a viable option?

Posted in the wrong section, didn't see the vendor area.
    Last edited by bbertola; 12-23-2010, 10:12 AM. Reason: Posted in the wrong section, didn't see the vendor area.
    EZWatch Security Cameras

You should know that this forum doesn't appreciate trolls or trolling. We have a board for vendor messages.

You've made 5 posts on this forum and at least 2 of them have linked to EZWatch. In this particular thread, you post a totally naive "newbie" question about wireless CCTV as an obvious excuse for posting the link to EZWatch, but then in another post you expound on the indexing properties of DVRs like someone who has quite a bit of knowledge about CCTV topics. Anyone who knows that much about DVRs would not have to ask "Is wireless a viable option?" He would know that the answer to that question is "It depends".

We were born at night...but not LAST night. Use the vendor board.
    Last edited by SecTrainer; 12-22-2010, 08:40 PM.
    "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

Is wireless really a viable option?

Yes According to my opinion wireless is the viable option. The best advantage of wireless camera is that it can be install anywhere.

Comment

Wireless cameras cannot be installed anywhere. Wireless cameras can only be installed near electrical outlets.
        The CCTV Blog.

"Expert" is something like "leader". It's not a title that you can ever claim for yourself no matter what you might know or might have done. It's a title that others bestow on you based on their assessment of what you know and what you have done.

-SecTrainer

Comment

Originally posted by CameraMan View Post
          Wireless cameras cannot be installed anywhere. Wireless cameras can only be installed near electrical outlets.
          I used to bypass electrical outlets and use deep cycle marine batteries.
          Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
          Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

Ah, not so, my fuzzy-faced friend (FFF). There are, for instance, solar-rechargeable units and, as Curtis points out, those deep-cycle marine batteries (also popular for powering the gear in covert surveillance vehicles, incidentally)....
            Attached Files

Comment

Oh, I'm very aware of solar power. They're crazy expensive, and less than ideal in the Northeast US, unless you do get the big old deep cycle batteries.
              The CCTV Blog.

"Expert" is something like "leader". It's not a title that you can ever claim for yourself no matter what you might know or might have done. It's a title that others bestow on you based on their assessment of what you know and what you have done.

-SecTrainer

Comment

Oh, I'm very aware of solar power. They're crazy expensive, and less than ideal in the Northeast US, unless you do get the big old deep cycle batteries.
                True, but they can still be a hell of a lot cheaper than running a power line assuming you can, especially if you have no other reason for doing so (very little benefit).

And, they're an option when running power proves to be impossible (e.g. you don't own the property or get the owner's permission) or impractical (e.g. rapid short-term applications), etc.

Comment

Originally posted by SecTrainer View Post
                  True, but they can still be a hell of a lot cheaper than running a power line assuming you can, especially if you have no other reason for doing so (very little benefit).

And, they're an option when running power proves to be impossible (e.g. you don't own the property or get the owner's permission) or impractical (e.g. rapid short-term applications), etc.
                  True. Which brings us to my second objection: wireless cameras are either expensive or crap. Video is a big signal, and you can either get a big, expensive wireless transmitter or artificially degrade the image until you can pump the video through the tiny, cheap transmitter you can actually afford.

While there are some applications for which wireless video is appropriate, wired is almost always the way to go.
                  The CCTV Blog.

-SecTrainer

Comment

True. Which brings us to my second objection: wireless cameras are either expensive or crap. Video is a big signal, and you can either get a big, expensive wireless transmitter or artificially degrade the image until you can pump the video through the tiny, cheap transmitter you can actually afford.

While there are some applications for which wireless video is appropriate, wired is almost always the way to go.
                    I completely agree - especially if you have the option of going "wired" with PoE, which gives you the fat wired Ethernet pipe without running a separate power line as well.
                    Last edited by SecTrainer; 12-28-2011, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X