Future of GE access control systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future of GE access control systems

Does anyone have any information on what the buyout of GE's security division by UTC will have on the systems they currently offer? I have an Infographics system, and had been told that GE was planning to end of life Infographics in 2010 and convert all existing users to Facility Commander. Now with the buyout I'm concerned that UTC may not keep the Facility Commander line, since they already own Lenel (and at least one other line).

My integrator has no more information that I do, and I'm just in the first stages of an expansion that will nearly double the size of my system. Any information would be much appreciated.
    Drew Neckar
    Hospital Security Supervisor
    ---------------------------------------------------

Always forgive your enemies--nothing annoys them so much.
    --Oscar Wilde—

It's a great question...we're hoping that UTC and GE will be able to give clear information on this. I know they pay attention to these forums, let's hope they respond. If not, sounds like a good info request to be made by SIW. More to come soon...

Comment

I've got a dollar that says Lenel will eventually absorb GE access, and they'll probably end-of-life all GE product within the next 3 years. Any takers?
      The CCTV Blog.

"Expert" is something like "leader". It's not a title that you can ever claim for yourself no matter what you might know or might have done. It's a title that others bestow on you based on their assessment of what you know and what you have done.

-SecTrainer

Comment

Originally posted by CameraMan View Post
        I've got a dollar that says Lenel will eventually absorb GE access, and they'll probably end-of-life all GE product within the next 3 years. Any takers?
        I'll take that bet. Some GE products in access area will still be around (and doing well) in 3 years. Let's make it a cup of Starbucks coffee as the wager...which will probably cost $5 in 3 years if either of us remembers! Now, which ones are going to be around is a total guess, but I think it would be their readers. I am not so sure about their software (even though their software is reputed to be pretty good quality from the few folks I've talked to with experience at it). I definitely think it could be significantly scaled back, especially because we all know that UTC's Lenel group has a lot of overlap on the software side. I don't think the access division is the main reason they bought GE Security, but it sure makes sense that they wouldn't dismantle that group entirely; seems like there is money to be made from continuing to support and produce select products.

Comment

Originally posted by CameraMan View Post
          That is exactly what I'm afraid of. I really don't want to shell out money to convert from infographics to Facility Commander this year, only to have Facility Commander phased out three to five years down the road and then have to pull out the checkbook again to convert to whatever system Lenel taps to replace it.

From my point of view, it might well be cheaper for me to take on a larger project now and switch my existing system out to Lenel, Software House, etc while I'm already in process of a major system expansion. Than to double the size of my system with components that may well need to be replaced twice in the next few years.
          Drew Neckar
          Hospital Security Supervisor
          ---------------------------------------------------

Always forgive your enemies--nothing annoys them so much.
          --Oscar Wilde—

Comment

Originally posted by HospitalOfc. View Post
            From my point of view, it might well be cheaper for me to take on a larger project now and switch my existing system out to Lenel, Software House, etc while I'm already in process of a major system expansion. Than to double the size of my system with components that may well need to be replaced twice in the next few years.
            I totally agree. Without information forthcoming from UTC I would be very leary of expanding the system then have to fork out a fortune to replace it. If your current integrator is also a UTC dealer I would bother them constantly to see if there may be some price breaks for the expansion or complete replacement considering the buyout. Or wait for further info.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
            Working...
            X