Anyone familiar with Paxton Access Control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone familiar with Paxton Access Control

Has any used or know anything about Paxton Access Control. They're big in Europe and Asia, and just moving into the U.S. market. A good friend of mine who is an access control rep, (since the first drawbridge was made I think), is going to work repping them. They look good on paper, but any of you on the other side of the pond have any experience with them? Or down under?
    sigpic
    Rocket Science
    Making everything else look simple, since 1958.

http://my.opera.com/integrator/blog/
    One Man's Opinion

The Future. It isn't what it used to be.

Wow. I can't believe no one has heard of them. They're new to the USA, but I thought they were pretty big in Europe and Asia.
    sigpic
    Rocket Science

One Man's Opinion

Comment

Well, I decided to go ahead and give them a try. Installed a 4 door system, as a replacement for an obsolete system. We're using HID iClass readers and tags with the Paxton panels and software. BTW, I've installed or been involved in the installation of about 7 or 8 hundred access control doors in 17 years, and have worked with AMAG, ITI/NCS, Keri, and Northern, as well as servicing a dabble here and there.

My thoughts, from a technical standpoint:

We used the panels without the factory enclosure, because we needed 4 panels, so we put them in our own enclosure, all together. The first thing I noticed is that the panels come with metal standoffs, so we were able drill out enclosure and install the standoffs like a factory install. They also com with plastic stick-on standoffs as an option, as well as zip ties for your wire, and the diodes for the lock power. I was impressed with the extras.

The panels have connector blocks for all the wiring, so if you need to change them it will be easy. This also makes troubleshooting easier. Also, all of the wiring terminals are clearly marked.

They don't require specific power supplies as some do (for instance linear versus switching). We're using the serial Comms Converter, which switch serial rs232 to rs485 for communication from the pc to the panels, since that's what the old system was using. (I originally programmed with my laptop, and used a USB to serial converter to connect to the Comms Converter, and it worked fine). They also have an ethernet converter, which uses a device made by Lantronix, which is overpriced unfortunately. I've talked to my rep about this, but it's not going to change, because the next version of panels will have it built in.

The software is uncomplicated. One thing I like here is it finds the new panels itself. The panels have a tag with a serial number, and when you select the doors in the software, all the panels appear. You can then rename them, but the number stays to. No configuring, or re-powering the master when you change or add a panel.

Assigning unlock times and all to the doors is easy. So is creating timezones and access groups. Adding single users is a snap also. The only thing I don't like is adding multiple cards. There isn't a function to block enroll a group of cards, but there is an import function. So you have to create a list in Excel, which at first took a little doing to get the format correct. Then it was easy. BUT it's still an extra step, and requires Excel or similar program.

My client handed out the new iClass keytags a few days before, and we told them when they see the new reader, use the new tag. We completed the equipment change out in one day, and it went off great. We haven't been able to do the software training yet, so I'll let you know how that goes. The old NCS451 system used hyperterminal, no software, so this will be a leap to past the 90's into the 21st century.
      Last edited by integrator97; 08-03-2008, 01:38 AM.
      sigpic
      Rocket Science

One Man's Opinion

Comment

Just to throw in a couple of comments - I find that access control (and intruder alarms to some extent...much more so than CCTV or fire) tend to be really colloquial!

There are literally THOUSANDS of access control manufacturers out there, and over here in Europe people tend to use *the local favourite* before they use *the industry leader*.

Paxton is very popular in the UK, as are some other uk companies - such as Bewator/Cotag (now part of Siemens).

Here in Ireland, however, there's a small company called ACT who pretty much own the entire Irish market. The product is re-sold into the UK and mainland Europe but without anywhere near as much success as the Irish sales.

Personally, I'd rate Paxton above ACT (it's cheaper and simpler), but *I* am not the market.

We generally only see some of the Enterprise Class systems (WinPak and C:Cure and the like) when we go to really complicated systems (not necessarily all that big, just systems with very complex user groupings) - which isn't very often in Ireland.

As a result I haven't seen much of the *small scale* products from the big manufacturers - so maybe my impressios are skewed, but I do think that the European products are better engineered than the US ones I've seen. They tend to be more engineer friendly...and perhaps more user friendly too.

I shall now put on my hard-hat and await the arrival of the intercontinental balistic flame missiles
        Regards

Geoff Moore
        ipvideo.ie
        The home of joined up security

Comment

Welcome Jeff. Thanks for the input. Good to have another techie. We need more of us here.
          sigpic
          Rocket Science

One Man's Opinion

Comment

Thanks 97, it's nice to be a "Junior Member" of something....kinda makes me feel young again...
            Regards

Geoff Moore
            ipvideo.ie
            The home of joined up security

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
            Working...
            X