Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Access control badges- Security Dept or IT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Access control badges- Security Dept or IT?

At your business, is the Security Manager responsible for issuing access badges AND the associated software, or is that an IT role?
    I am new in my role as a Security Manager, and the IT Manager is pushing for me to learn the software for issuing and changing badge privileges, even though she previously did it. It is very complicated software and programming, and I am already swamped with CCTV footage and investigations. I'm suspecting that she just wants it off her plate, and we are equals. I am the first to fill this role, so there is no precedent. Who does it at your business?

I've seen it done by both - Security or Administration / Management. She is probably thinking that because access control is a security function, it is your job. On the other hand, human resources or the personnel manager are the ones who do the hiring / firing / promoting, so it is not a stretch to say this is their deal.

It would be worth learning just because every job is training for the next job. But if you are swamped and you have someone under you that you trust and is IT savy, you could delegate it to them. I've learned it is OK to say "no" to added work, but you have to be real careful to be clear and tactful, and remain a "team player."

Comment

Originally posted by Condo Guard View Post
      It would be worth learning just because every job is training for the next job...
      That was my thought as well. I'm going to learn it either way because it never hurts to learn something, but I want to find a tactful way to have IT be the lead on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Condo Guard View Post
        I've seen it done by both - Security or Administration / Management. She is probably thinking that because access control is a security function, it is your job. On the other hand, human resources or the personnel manager are the ones who do the hiring / firing / promoting, so it is not a stretch to say this is their deal.

It would be worth learning just because every job is training for the next job. But if you are swamped and you have someone under you that you trust and is IT savy, you could delegate it to them. I've learned it is OK to say "no" to added work, but you have to be real careful to be clear and tactful, and remain a "team player."
        Learning things like how to program access cards can be a valuable asset if you are looking to move beyond entry-level guard work to higher-paying jobs within the security industry. I'd go as far as to say that if someone does not have significant LE/military background, becoming skilled in the fields of physical security (acquiring, installing, maintaining security hardware, lock/key control, etc...) or personnel security (managing security clearances, issuing/programming access cards, etc..) are the two main ways into getting a good-paying, career security job.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
        Working...
        X