controlling an elevator with NetAXS Control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• controlling an elevator with NetAXS Control

Im a residential security guy but we are moving into a new office space and i was nominated to install an access control system!!! I got everything figured out accept the elevator control. Our office space is on the second floor of the building and the elevator opens right up into our office space so i have to be able to control access. We want the elevator to go to our floor freely during business hours and only for authorized individuals outside of those hours and so forth...

The previous tenants (of years ago) had an access control system just for the elevator so the wiring is already there i assume. The existing reader within the elevator is not a proxi so i will have to switch it though.

The building superintendant will not let me touch the elevator controls (which i am glad for :-)) so the elevator company is coming out on monday but i am very curious as to how the elevator control works and what is required of my NetAXS to operate it.

Will i just be connecting to it with one N.O or N.C relay?

I doubt my relay will be in loop with my power suply to send voltage to the elevator control, right?

I haven't removed the current (card swipe) reader in the elevator but i had a look in the control room and it looked like just 4 conductors were coming from the reader to the elevator controls i need 6 for my Proxi. Any quick explanations about what I might expect on monday???

Hello The Vice...

As it happens I have extensive experience with elevators. First off... any security system will have to be over-ridden when the elevator is placed on any of three fire recalls. Phase I key/phase II key operation (fireman service), Fire recall ( smoke or heat detector trip) or an alternate recall.

You must find out from the elevator company if the elevator controller system is solid state or relay logic. If it's relay logic the elevator company may just request a series of dry contacts. If solid state it may be a bit more complicated. If the elevators are arranged in a group (three or more elevators that cooperate) It may be still further complicated. Most of the physical work and hard wiring MUST be done by a qualified elevator technician or mechanic. Any connections to the elevator cab, or in the hoistway MUST be done by elevator people.

I have assisted in installing several systems. It's not a real big deal... But you will be working with the elevator company. I strongly suggest dealing with what ever company has the maintenance contract for these elevators.

If you have any further questions please feel free to P/M me.

Spuk
    Last edited by Secret spuk; 12-28-2010, 08:21 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Yeah and I have extensive Winpack and Netaxs experience.

If you need help let me know.
      I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it.

Comment

Originally posted by the vise View Post
        Im a residential security guy but we are moving into a new office space and i was nominated to install an access control system!!! I got everything figured out accept the elevator control. Our office space is on the second floor of the building and the elevator opens right up into our office space so i have to be able to control access. We want the elevator to go to our floor freely during business hours and only for authorized individuals outside of those hours and so forth...

The previous tenants (of years ago) had an access control system just for the elevator so the wiring is already there i assume. The existing reader within the elevator is not a proxi so i will have to switch it though.

The building superintendant will not let me touch the elevator controls (which i am glad for :-)) so the elevator company is coming out on monday but i am very curious as to how the elevator control works and what is required of my NetAXS to operate it.

Will i just be connecting to it with one N.O or N.C relay?

I doubt my relay will be in loop with my power suply to send voltage to the elevator control, right?

I haven't removed the current (card swipe) reader in the elevator but i had a look in the control room and it looked like just 4 conductors were coming from the reader to the elevator controls i need 6 for my Proxi. Any quick explanations about what I might expect on monday???
        I just re-read your post It has been ten days are you still needing assistance?

Comment

I wonder how dude made out...

Comment

Originally posted by Secret spuk View Post
            I wonder how dude made out...
            I dunno. Maybe he called tech support?

I dislike 1 posters that ask for help then do not follow up.

Comment

He did P/M me and thank for the head start. I guess we'll never know.

Spuk

Comment

Only one person posted in 9 days and i Pm'd him. I figured it was such a silly and vague question that the topic was a dead one. I never looked after a week. By then it was history and i had replied to the one reply i had. Please all forgive me bad forum edicate as i am new and ignorant. Thanks all for the help and concern though.

Update: controlling the elevator was easy. As i was adviced to do by secret spuk i had the contracted elevator service come out and i told them what i needed. The technician isolated to contacts on the control that would secure the floor when bridged. All i had to do was connect my Access control relay to those contacts and done! Just programmed it to stay open during business hours and after that a card read is required to temporarily close it. I also lucked out in that there were 6 spare shielded conductors already ran from the control to the car so my reader was a peice of cake to install. Having never worked with access control at all i had no idea what to expect but you all got me off to the right start and thanks so much for that.!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by the vise View Post
                  Only one person posted in 9 days and i Pm'd him. I figured it was such a silly and vague question that the topic was a dead one. I never looked after a week. By then it was history and i had replied to the one reply i had. Please all forgive me bad forum edicate as i am new and ignorant. Thanks all for the help and concern though.

Update: controlling the elevator was easy. As i was adviced to do by secret spuk i had the contracted elevator service come out and i told them what i needed. The technician isolated to contacts on the control that would secure the floor when bridged. All i had to do was connect my Access control relay to those contacts and done! Just programmed it to stay open during business hours and after that a card read is required to temporarily close it. I also lucked out in that there were 6 spare shielded conductors already ran from the control to the car so my reader was a peice of cake to install. Having never worked with access control at all i had no idea what to expect but you all got me off to the right start and thanks so much for that.!!!!
                  Boy you did luck out on the conductors.

Comment

99% of all elevator install's have spare conductors from the controller to the car. Usually at least one twisted pair, and one shielded pair. (cat5)

Comment

Originally posted by Secret spuk View Post
                      99% of all elevator install's have spare conductors from the controller to the car. Usually at least one twisted pair, and one shielded pair. (cat5)
                      You mean I found the one that didn't?

We had to add another traveling cable on two elevators. $10 G's
                      Now the elevator company has to do upgrades and hook it up. This has been a year long project. My wire is done. I have been waiting on them.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X