X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Loss Prevention Officers Training Manual

Hi,
    I publish what might very well be the only comprehensive training manual available to the public. Unless you know the following topics like the back of your hand, you might consider downloading it.

CHAPTER 1 - The Mindset for Effective Loss Prevention

CHAPTER 2 - The Legal Aspects of Shoplifter Apprehension
    The Civil Demand Process
    Civil Demand Versus Extortion
    Legal Authority for the Detainment of Shoplifters
    Detainment versus Arrest
    Assaulting Shoplifters

CHAPTER 3 - Floor Surveillance Tactics
    The Elements of Floor Surveillance
    Signs of Suspicion
    Surveillance Begins in the Parking Lot
    Vantage Points, Shadowing & Paralleling
    Video Evidence
    Advanced Shoplifting Techniques
    Felony Shoplifting
    Using Back-Up Personnel

CHAPTER 4 – Approaching, Apprehending and Securing Suspects
    Positioning
    Approaching the Shoplifter
    Securing the Suspect
    Maintaining the Primary Goal
    Securing Weapons
    The Big Gender No No

CHAPTER 5 – Processing, Paperwork and Interviewing Suspect
    Suspect Descriptions
    The Interview
    The Incident Report
    Civil Demand Acknowledgment
    Trespass Warning
    The Narrative of Events - Your Report
    Evidence - Bagging and Tagging
    Interacting with Law Enforcement Officers
    Avoiding Slander

CHAPTER 6 - Court Appearances & Effective Testimony
    The Subpoena
    Arriving at Court
    The Witness Stand
    Effective Testimony

It's available here:Loss Prevention Training Manual, for only $19.00

You can read Chapter 1 for free to evaluate whether you pick up valuable even critical information right from the beginning. My goal is that no LP Officer ever loses and case or ends up on the wrong side of law due to a preventable mistake.

You can also email me with question you might have about executing the job correctly. Attain mastery of the craft, learn every aspect of the law and stay out of bad situations.

Thank you and please pass the word.

Originally posted by LPTO View Post
    Hi,
    I publish what might very well be the only comprehensive training manual available to the public. Unless you know the following topics like the back of your hand, you might consider downloading it.

CHAPTER 1 - The Mindset for Effective Loss Prevention

CHAPTER 2 - The Legal Aspects of Shoplifter Apprehension
    The Civil Demand Process
    Civil Demand Versus Extortion
    Legal Authority for the Detainment of Shoplifters
    Detainment versus Arrest
    Assaulting Shoplifters

CHAPTER 3 - Floor Surveillance Tactics
    The Elements of Floor Surveillance
    Signs of Suspicion
    Surveillance Begins in the Parking Lot
    Vantage Points, Shadowing & Paralleling
    Video Evidence
    Advanced Shoplifting Techniques
    Felony Shoplifting
    Using Back-Up Personnel

CHAPTER 4 – Approaching, Apprehending and Securing Suspects
    Positioning
    Approaching the Shoplifter
    Securing the Suspect
    Maintaining the Primary Goal
    Securing Weapons
    The Big Gender No No

CHAPTER 5 – Processing, Paperwork and Interviewing Suspect
    Suspect Descriptions
    The Interview
    The Incident Report
    Civil Demand Acknowledgment
    Trespass Warning
    The Narrative of Events - Your Report
    Evidence - Bagging and Tagging
    Interacting with Law Enforcement Officers
    Avoiding Slander

CHAPTER 6 - Court Appearances & Effective Testimony
    The Subpoena
    Arriving at Court
    The Witness Stand
    Effective Testimony

It's available here:Loss Prevention Training Manual, for only $19.00

You can read Chapter 1 for free to evaluate whether you pick up valuable even critical information right from the beginning. My goal is that no LP Officer ever loses and case or ends up on the wrong side of law due to a preventable mistake.

You can also email me with question you might have about executing the job correctly. Attain mastery of the craft, learn every aspect of the law and stay out of bad situations.

Thank you and please pass the word.
    Okay... I just have to ask. What makes this product different from any other internet publication that promises to train LP employees? From what I have read it's pretty basic in form. What makes this different than the company specific training that most major retailers already
    provide their staff.

Also, what background does the author come from?
    We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
    -George Orwell

Comment

I must also protest a little bit here. Every state and country has different laws that change an LPO's job and should dictate their training. Every company has different policies and procedures in place dictating how their officers should surveillance, apprehend and investigate theft. Unless you have been a major player for a large LP driven organization for some time now and actively train new LPO's in your current position this really isn't worth my time to even read the first chapter.

Don't think you are going to just throw a website up and get professionals throwing you money from here. You are in the wrong forum for that. (Unless MJW wants to go into LP?!)

Comment

Can you defend your "training manual"?

Make sure you are able to defend your training manual point by point in a court of law. As Swifty and Justice Hound pointed out - there is no one industry standard on loss prevention - one organization is quickly find this out. Retailers are all different and have different standards/processes they want their LP staff to follow.
        Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
        Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

Few things...

1. It seems to be California Law.
          2. Anyone can publish a book to Lulu. I know several folks who have.
          3. I would not base a training program off some e-book I bought off Lulu.

I would base a training program off a book purchased from Lulu if it had an ISBN and other information that I (and opposing counsel) can use to reference it in court, after verifying that the information contained within is actually useful, and the person writing the information is considered a trainer, subject matter expert, or at least experienced in the field of knowledge.

That's the problem, folks. Who's Mark Henry, and why do I want to buy his book for training purposes?
          Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

What a Genius

Justice Hound: I don't know of any good publication out there. I'm sure you know that there are many poorly trained officers out there and though many major retailers have good systems in place, there are many aspects of the job officers are either not taught or they learn over time. Many officers are taught what to do and not to do according to company policy but the Penal Code, Responding Police Officers, the District Attorney's Office, Defense Attorneys and the trial process are the real authorities that must be answered to. Also, the very real threat of injury on the job demand, in my view, that anyone seeking to cross over from uniformed security into Loss Prevention have full understanding of the world they're entering into and the tools to succeed against many diverse circumstances and challenges. My background is having first worked very successfully as an L.P. officer and an investigative researcher. Though I went through company training and came out the gate smoking, doing the job and dealing with its many faces over time, pushed me into the law library and I developed tactics for things like dealing with surprisingly dangerous and desperate individuals and circumstances, getting what I needed out of suspect interviews while remaining the good guy, dealing with the barrage of ploys used by defense attorneys and all of the other information that I'm passing on through the manual. I want to give the officers mastery of the game and though it might seem arrogant to say so. I can give that.

Swifty, your post is somewhat offensive. The manual is strictly for California and regardless of whether it's worth reading the first chapter or not to you, a look at the statistics on false arrests, brutality, & lost cases would be clear evidence to some others that something is going wrong out there. The manual isn't for everyone. Just people that consider the possibility of someone else having the awareness and ability to help nail the matter down.

Curtis - Thank you, your admonition is noted and appreciated. The purpose of the manual is to impart exactly what you mention; a point by point and exact understanding of shoplifting and shoplifter apprehension and processing according to the State Justice System, along with procedural and operational instruction.

N.A. Corbier- Yes it is strictly California Law. And it is true that anyone can post on LuLu. It's the same with an ISDN number, for $500 anyone can have one. Resellers sell them for $10.00. The number really doesn't help when clearing up whether a book is legitimate or another vague, money motivated rip off. If you think because it's on Lulu that it couldn't be worth anything, that's your choice but it's really about content. No officer would need to reference my manual in court because it directs the reader to the an understanding of the Penal Code.

As far as who Mark Henry is, you wouldn't really understand that until after reading the book. I'm a writer. There is a process of gathering important information, sorting and making it easily digestible and putting it on paper that I simply can do.

I apologize for addressing Swifty's attitude in such blanketed manner. The other posts were valid.
            Last edited by LPTO; 11-28-2008, 01:54 PM. Reason: more

Comment

... Welcome to the Internet. I invite you to continue to reply in an argumentative tone, it provides amusement for me while in Mazatlan today.

1. It is an undisputed fact that ANYONE can publish to Lulu.com. Please attempt to dispute this. I, too, have a Lulu.com account.

2. Your description states its related to California Law. So, dispute that?

3. My opinion is as valid as your post. I, personally, might buy your book. Granted, I kinda don't like e-books, but hey. Professionally? I would not buy your book for the purposes of adding it to a training library or using it to train my employees without doing due diligence.

If you have a problem with the fact that any employer should perform due diligence when evaluating training materials, you have more problems that you let on.

When involved in Loss Prevention or any investigative work. Do not ever take action or make any statement based on what you do not know. Gather data, learn first, qualify your opinion, then engage your mouth based on what you do know.
              Translation: do not question me, because you don't know!
              Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

I will make statement based on knowledge and fact here. The attitude and tone of your post is combative. I am sure i find this as amusing as alot of people do.

Your guide may or may not be helpful, but as someone who both gives and recieves training in the corporate world, i can assure you that your presentation and response posts regarding your guide are highly unprofessional.

Remember that your training is only as effective as your trainer

Comment

Actually there is nothing opinionated about the fact that your initial post was a bit arrogant, because thats ok when you are trying to sell something, it was the fact that your follow up posts are unprofessional.

I showed this to my client at lunch. Hes the head of his department for a worldwide corporation, and he was the one that said while he felt the inital post was fine, the rest were the type of thing that would immediately cause him to terminate you as a resource.

I asked him how he viewed the professionalism of the response. He said he agreed with me that they were highly unprofessional, and that as his contract employee, he would be disappointed in me if i reacted to critcism this way.

I sit in meetings with boards of directors because my client knows that i can handle myself, and that i am getting well versed in the art of not just thinking before you speak, but thinking ahead before you speak.

As for "friends" here, if you would hold it against me to count some of the fine men and women here as friends, then i surely would be glad to count you out of that group.

As i stated before, your material may or may not be good. thats a fact

Your skills as a trainer that are reflected in these posts are poor.thats a fact

I wont say what my opinion is because your attitude really says more about you then i ever could

I do however hope that you can take criticism,because the kind given here is more valuable in honesty and experience than any training you can find

Comment

Oh I see

I can only tell you that I'm not arrogant. I sure was hit with arrogance though. I should not have allowed myself to be pulled into someone else's problem. In my personal life, I walk the fine line between being peaceable with all men while not being walked on by jerks. I let a matter go, the jerk tries again, I put the jerk in his place, I'm perceived as being harsh. It's a no win so whatever with it. I'm not here to make friends and win people. Just to let anyone passing through that might need to learn the full picture of shoplifter apprehension.
                    Last edited by LPTO; 11-28-2008, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Rule number one of this business is that the clients opinion does rotate the globe, since without the client we are nothing.

I have gone to him to wish him a happy thanksgiving, and he assures me that he agrees with you that you should not speak before you investigate a matter.

However he also agrees with me that we have both fairly and completely investigated the matter at hand, which is your demeanor.

We both agree that we never condemned your material which is something we havent seen, and dont claim to know anything about

We also agree that after reading, and then re-reading every word you have posted, that your attitude is highly unprofessional.

As far as "manning up" goes, (and this is where opinion comes in), it would seem its you that needs to learn how men act, especially professional ones.

In the professional world, such sarcasm and derogation as you express is not only frowned upon, it is seen by everyone as a reflection of poor character.

I only hope you can see these things as facts (because they are facts), and perhaps learn something.

My boss seems to think that you probably will, but hes a corporate brown noser i guess.

I live in the real world where i have seen guys like you in a variety of settings.

You rarely learn, and always view criticism of any kind as not only a personal attack, but a personal affront on your dignity.

But you can personally attack me all you want. I am "man" enough to take whatever you got, and giggle like a schoolgirl after

Comment

I just want to make sure I have this straight...

After working as a Payless Drug Store and Henry's Marketplace LPO since 1994, you join this forum yesterday, shamelessly plug and advertise your "book" (after your initial asking price of $49.99 didn't fly), insult longtime members of this forum and want to pick a fight. Source: (http://www.indeed.com/forum/job/loss...tion/t17811/p1)

The bottom line is that you could be an expert, but no one has ever heard of you. But your attitude alone leads me to believe you have just taken other people's work and compiled it as your own. I can't think of anyone that would want to employ you, let alone have you train their people with your hostile attitude. If you were any sort of expert, someone here would have heard of you by now.

In short, you are a troll, and I hope you get banned.

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions." ~Ronald Reagan

sigpic

Comment

this guy cant take any criticism at all. sorry sir learn to take criticism as a good thing to grow and learn. we always can learn more no matter how much we do know . if we think we know all there is to know about anything then we know less than we think.
                          Last edited by jknott; 11-26-2008, 09:41 PM.

Comment

cgh6366 - to imagine that someone would "take other people's work and compile it," violating Federal Copyright law to create a book on effectively prosecuting crime, is not very well thought out. And as far as anyone hiring me, I don't do Loss Prevention because it's not a great career direction. I did it because I was young and it was a stepping stone. One criminal can snuff out an L.P.'s life in a moment. I've had friends that were hurt. I'm going to teach those that do want to pursue L.P. work how not have that happen to them. If you think because you can't write such a book, no one else can, that's your problem. If you think this is about not taking criticism, that too isn't thought out very accurately. I want criticism but valid criticism would require examining what I have to offer. I've given copies of the manual to people that asked for one. This is the first place I've ever seen where anyone imagines that they are high and mighty enough to immediately get ugly about something they're ignorant of. If you don't understand that, wait until you get older, you might.
                            Last edited by LPTO; 11-28-2008, 02:12 PM.

Comment

For a site thats so insignificant, you sure seem to want to come back time and time again and convince everyone how you are the misunderstood and learned artist trying to humbly bestow your knowledge upon the ignorant masses here.

I know more about you than you might think, since your repeated posts and the content thereof write the truth in 40 foot high flaming letters.

Feel free to be the legend in your own mind that all here see you for. I am really glad you posted, and hope you keep posting. Football is a good thing on thanksgiving after all

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X