Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ScottFree
    replied
    Great site. I registered and look forward to more exchanges of information as well as interesting topics and shared knowledge

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Originally posted by gcmc security part 2 View Post
    Just so yall know the site is on its way back up. Come on over and reregister. Our fearless ninja/commando leader finally got away from the buffet on his cruise ship to get it going again!
    The forums are up, but its a long way to go. I'm working on it, slowly, and when its done, I'll announce.

Feel free to play on the forums, but keep in mind: It was designed to compete with PoliceLink, not SIW, and therefore is supposed to be (and will eventually be) a full blown social portal site, not a forum subsection.

Every time I see a security post on RP, PoliceLink, or Officer.com end in "this is for the REAL POLICE, get out," I work a little harder.

SIW and SP are the only two sites I know of that aren't horrid to look at and have forums. And I'm still tweaking the various SP templates so that the modules (videos, forums, etc) don't break the template.

Leave a comment:

• gcmc security part 2
    replied
    Just so yall know the site is on its way back up. Come on over and reregister. Our fearless ninja/commando leader finally got away from the buffet on his cruise ship to get it going again!

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Chaple
    replied
    Originally posted by ValleyOne View Post
    I don't want to derail this thread or beat my own drum... But, I'm thinking I coined the term Super Ninja, if I'm wrong I will admit and pay my due pennance (sp?)... Those were the days...

First mention of it that I know of...
    You probably were the first person to use it on here, but it is a commonly used slang term. Then again you may have coined the term; if so I thank you.

Leave a comment:

• EMTGuard
    replied
    I think one of the key things necessary for any success is to get the word out about your site. I found this site, Security Info Watch, because I visit the forums at Firehouse.com and at the bottom of the list of sub forums is a link to his site. I'm not sure how others found their way here.
    Another thing I think is important is offering something which isn't already found here. Let's face it. This is a pretty diverse groups here at SIW. We ahve everything from brand new warm body guards to upper management exec types. I think SIW offers a lot already.
    That said, I've registered at your new site and am interested in watching it grow.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    Originally posted by SecTrainer View Post
    I guess I don't get what's different about this new forum or why it's needed.
    That's okay. Participation is strictly volunteery.

Leave a comment:

• ValleyOne
    replied
    I don't want to derail this thread or beat my own drum... But, I'm thinking I coined the term Super Ninja, if I'm wrong I will admit and pay my due pennance (sp?)... Those were the days...

First mention of it that I know of...

As far as the Corbier's Commandos... I tip my hat to Black Ceaser; at one time a Door Gunner

I almost forgot about the great Tire Iron Incident....LOL

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Chaple
    replied
    Corbier's Commandos:
    http://forums.securityinfowatch.com/...light=commando

http://forums.securityinfowatch.com/...ighlight=ninja

Ninja
    Explaining internet ninja is a task that is beyond my knowledge/skill/attention span. But on here people usually mean it as a derogatory term for some one who is either delusional or a poseur. A.K.A. "Keyboard Commando"
    http://www.themartialist.com/1206/un...ngtrolling.htm
    http://www.themartialist.com/pecom/vtg.htm

Leave a comment:

• CAPTAIN KOOLAID
    replied
    Omg

I don't have a "ninja leader", so I still don't get it. In fact, I don't frankly get any of the "ninja" or "member of Corbier's Commandos" stuff that I see on the board. Inside joke, I guess...or maybe I'm just dense.

Oh well, I don't have to get it, do I? Have fun!
    OMG you don't know what Ninja thing is?..
    gezzz now got me looking for where it started it is a old inside joke but how do you not know about it you where hear before me and I know it and you don't. Not poke at ya. I know you a pretty damn good officer and man. I issue a quest to all those feel there wother tke foth this tast when did we start useing ninja to poke fun at the nuts lose canons the the navy seal that can't swim and so on.

Leave a comment:

• SecTrainer
    replied
    Originally posted by CAPTAIN KOOLAID View Post
    Ahhhh old saying if anit broke why fix it.
    Then there is another saying grass hopper, when butterfly comes out it's cocon need room open it's wings.
    IE N.A. feel there better way do things and our feerless ninja leader hasn't let us down yet.
    I don't have a "ninja leader", so I still don't get it. In fact, I don't frankly get any of the "ninja" or "member of Corbier's Commandos" stuff that I see on the board. Inside joke, I guess...or maybe I'm just dense.

Oh well, I don't have to get it, do I? Have fun!
    Last edited by SecTrainer; 02-08-2008, 06:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

• CAPTAIN KOOLAID
    replied
    So, I got bored.

Ahhhh old saying if anit broke why fix it.
    Then there is another saying grass hopper, when butterfly comes out it's cocon need room open it's wings.
    IE N.A. feel there better way do things and our feerless ninja leader hasn't let us down yet.

Leave a comment:

• NRM_Oz
    replied
    Sec, just send your cheque for $1000 US to Mr N.A. Corbier righful President of Rhodesia to his US postal address and wait for us to get back to you.

Hey I would gladly have some aussie girlies but sadly apart from a married OzSecurityChic - the well is dry ................

Leave a comment:

• SecTrainer
    replied

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Originally posted by Chucky View Post
    Nate who is your host? I ask because we have been using Go Daddy for a couple years and as time goes by they seem to be interested less about any questions we have. Our site uses code inputed by our own people in different places and GD seems less than happy to offer support to 3rd party code. I can't blame them but if your going to offer hosting then don't do it half way. We did a temporary mirror to a site by SMF and it was way faster and stable. Any thoughts?
    <plug> SecurityProfessional is on a 10 dollar a month unmanaged hosting plan from my company. </plug>

Curt isn't going to see problems with his site because, I believe, its static HTML files. However, keep in mind: GoDaddy is unmanaged hosting. That means they really don't care what runs on it, so long as its in the AUP. If it doesn't run? Not their problem.

There's a chain, actually. SecurityProfessional is hosted on tamaki.cityscapesolutions.net, one of our web hosting servers. Tamaki is maintained by CS staff, just like any client box, and costs us 20 bucks a month to run.

It is provided by linode.com, which does not provide managed server options. We resell linode with a metric ton of managed support. In other words, if someone wants a managed web site, they pay us a sum of money every month and we throw it on a linode, set the Linux up on the linode, tune the web server, tune the SQL server, setup email services, and install the site.

Unfortunately, this is time intensive and doesn't come cheap. Managed server hosting starts at 60 a month, but includes the ability to run other applications, not just websites.

For example, we're currently running AOL Music Shoutcast servers on tamaki, as well as providing shell access, an IRC server, and something called MUSH hosting for our clients. Because its a dedicated (virtual) server, we tune everything and know what will work with what, and how much RAM everything takes, etc.

Oh, and the best part? Unlike shared hosting, if some script kiddie's cracker program is installed on box21.sharedhosting.com, its not going to root my box and take out 1500 accounts. We have active IDS on our servers, and have a smaller threat footprint (our boxes host 5-10 sites, not 500-1000) per server.

So, in a nutshell, we host using Cityscape Solutions, on an unmanaged plan cause its just another account on Tamaki for me.

Leave a comment:

• bigshotceo
    replied
    Originally posted by Eric View Post
    How about a closed to the general public section on the forum to discuss more sensitive items?
    I, for one, would support the idea of a forum to discuss Abby Winters

Leave a comment:

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X