Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    That's why we set him up with that layout in the first place, its less about marketing a company, and more about a message.

A normal corporate site, selling stuff and presenting information, shouldn't lead with a blog. While it can lead with news stories, if it generates enough of them to be relevant and important on the front page, it should convey a message and direct people to the goods and services.

However, in Personal Protection Concept's case, its more about the message being presented, I think.

Leave a comment:

• jmaccauley
    replied
    Thanks for the 2 cents. Actually, this was set up more as a blog site than a commercial advertisement. I would rather present my philosophy on training principles there than try to baffle people with the normal BS that advertisements tend to do. I will look at possibly redesigning the front page however. Thanks again.

Leave a comment:

• SecTrainer
    replied
    Originally posted by jmaccauley View Post
    I have a really nice looking web site too. Some guy made it for me and I've had many compliments. I'll hook you up if need his name.
    Very decent website, although I'd offer a suggestion if I might.

Unless blogging was your primary objective in creating the site, I personally wouldn't put a blog (especially one with long articles) on the front page of a business site, or would at least move the blog off center stage on that page.

This practice (blogging on a website front page) has become popular on personal websites in recent years because a lot of people want to do nothing else with their website except publish their blog...and that's what "blogger" web design software is designed to help them do. It may not be as appropriate for business sites for the blog to be quite so prominent.

Unless blogging is your primary objective, the front page of your website has a very specific and critical job to do, namely to serve as a portal to draw people to your primary objective (which is presumably your training courses, etc.). The blog is really secondary and you don't want people to get lost reading the blog (or to spend their very brief time there doing nothing else). Even a blog designed to attract visitors doesn't need to dominate the front page of the site...just show a snippet of the "top" article in the blog in a block "below the centerfold" on the main page, with a link to "read more..." or "Let's blog!..."

When I went to the site, the blog sort of smacked me in the face (I wasn't sure at first that it wasn't "just" a blog site, in fact), and everything else seemed pretty secondary. If the answer to the question "Is blogging my main purpose?" is "No", the design just feels upside-down and might do with some tweaking. Just my 2 cents' worth, though.
    Last edited by SecTrainer; 06-26-2007, 09:55 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Curtis Baillie
    replied
    Originally posted by jmaccauley View Post
    I have a really nice looking web site too. Some guy made it for me and I've had many compliments. I'll hook you up if need his name.
    You can pay your webguy now. Your pics appear.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Our new site just went live. So far, the only thing that 'doesn't work' is the OpsNET system, which is actually working just not hooked up to our site. OpsNET is reserved for our existing clients and employees, so you're not missing much.

EDIT: OpsNET works now, of course, you need a username and password. Its really just dotProject, but it helps us out.

Leave a comment:

• hrdickinson
    replied
    Originally posted by SgtUSMC8541 View Post
    Site looks great. I'm also interested in who did it!
    I believe N. A. Corbier can help you with that!

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    That's one solution, but how do you link to the site without putting your library password in the URL to access it?

I would suggest using an .htaccess file to limit the domains that can view the files to localhost. This prevents hot-linking, as well as other people from randomly viewing your directories.

Leave a comment:

• Curtis Baillie
    replied
    My library of photos is password protected.

Leave a comment:

• jmaccauley
    replied
    That was completely my foul up here. I went back to photobucket and deleted the pictures because someone accessed my whole library. Not that I have anything personal there, but still... Anyway, Nates skills are not being called into question here. Blame it on me being a non-nerd.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Hehe... I've been up for 12 hours working on a site redesign. Should be up sometime today, hopefully.

Leave a comment:

• Curtis Baillie
    replied
    I still love ya.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Originally posted by Security Consultant View Post
    You might want to delay that last payment to your website developer. None of the pics on your site appear.
    *Fist Shake*

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Something at photobucket ate your pictures. For best results, I suggest uploading your photos to your web hosting account, either through the cPanel "File Manager" utillity, or via FTP... And linking there. That way, you know they're there.

Photobucket has glitches at times. I use them too, for personal things, and they tend to piss me off at times.

As far as who did the website... You can feel free to ask Jerry, or direct the firm directly. That firm would be Cityscape Solutions, LLC.

Leave a comment:

• jmaccauley
    replied
    Another reason why I think of computers as "devil machines." So Nate, does this mean that my pictures don't appear if I post them direct? Or is that only if they try to link directly from here?
    Last edited by jmaccauley; 06-13-2007, 03:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• hrdickinson
    replied
    Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
    Hey, a perfect time to illustrate something...

Hot Linking an image is when, instead of hosting the image on a trusted source or locally, you link directly to someone else's image.
    Nathan,
    The pictures on his site seem to be resident on a photo shot server in a directory under his name. So does that mean there is a problem with their server or did someone zap his directory? I've seen this happen with other sites and never understood the technology! Wouldn't it be just as easy to transfer the picture to your own hosting server?

Leave a comment:

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X