Why Securitas and G4S are Winning …and Your Security Firm Isn’t

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Securitas and G4S are Winning …and Your Security Firm Isn’t

Hey all, I thought managers/owners on SIW would be interested in this blog I recently wrote. Original post can be found here.

Over the past few months we have had the pleasure in meeting with multiple executives at some of the largest security firms in United States.

Our intention? To understand how they grew to be such thriving organizations.

What we learned: As an owner/operator of a security firm, you must do whatever it takes to focus less on managing officers and more on obtaining contracts. In other words, your rate of growth will remain slim if you spend most of your day tracking down officers and collecting paper and/or e-mail reports.

So why are organizations like Securitas, G4S, US Security Associates and First Security Services winning? What have these organizations done that has allowed them to employ almost 1 million (and growing) security professionals globally?

Technology.

These organizations (and countless others) have had the luxury in paying hundreds and thousands of dollars to create customized guard management systems that allow them to turn the hassle of managing officers into an easy task. This switch to digital reporting and remote location tracking has allowed these organizations to become what they are today (winners).

But how about the remaining 12,000+ security firms within the United States? Why haven’t they made the switch to technology? This question lead us to have conversations with nearly every type of security team out there, ranging from:

— One-person PPO’s that provide executive protection for very, very important people — Armed 20-person units that secure sports stadiums and state building — Security firms that employ 200+ mobile patrol officers that monitor sites across 250 square miles

What We Learned Surprised Us

Nearly every security firm we talked with were well aware of the hurdles that prevented them from growing. The only difference was that these firms did not have the means to solve them.

Unlike G4S, Securitas and the rest, these firms didn’t have the deep pockets to pay and have a guard management software created for them. So, they continued to deal with reporting and tracking how the industry had been doing it for years before them: on paper and in faith.

Albeit, we often come across unique cases: one of our first customers was so sick of his team conducting reports on paper that he made a switch to using Facebook Messenger to document parking violations and incidents.

[QUOTE=Sukh Nijjar;n240170][B]
    Unlike G4S, Securitas and the rest, these firms didn’t have the deep pockets to pay and have a guard management software created for them. So, they continued to deal with reporting and tracking how the industry had been doing it for years before them: on paper and in faith.

You are correct! That is why we invite all SIW members to visit our website and learn how SECURITY PATROL TRACK, our intuitively designed and reasonably priced Security Guard Management System can make your company more efficient and competitive!

Richard Dickinson
    Security Patrol Track Inc.

The most intuitively designed Security Guard Management System on the market today!
    Richard Dickinson
    Dickinson Security Management Group, LLC
    DSMG Provides a Variety of Software Products and Consulting Services to the Contract Security Industry
    www.hrdickinson.com

Comment

Hrdickinson,

Inefficient guard management is a huge problem facing our industry and we know that there are a few others attempting to provide a solution. The difference is in our approach:

Rather then limiting officers to accessing our service via the browser on their device like Security Patrol Track, Radar is accessed as a mobile application. Mobile applications are known to provide higher dependability and quicker speeds then browser based applications.

Additionally, Radar allows management to track the location of officers without the frustrations and inaccuracy of QR code’s (eg. officers have been known to take pictures of QR codes and scan them from the comfort of their own home).

Cheers,
      Sukh

Comment

Sukh,

I was staggered when I read this from you: "....customized guard management systems allow them to turn the hassle of managing officers into an easy task". Either you know nothing about security guard management or you have no scruples about using hyperbole/exaggeration (a polite word for "prevarication") to describe your product.

Ignorance or hype: Whichever the case may be, we're not fools and do not appreciate either on this forum.

I would also observe that mobile apps in the domain of security only add another dimension of management headaches - i.e., that of mobile device security, management, policy and practices. I can secure browser-based applications FAR more easily than a mobile app. This is the BYOD (bring-your-own-device) problem...or else it forces the security company to purchase, provision and issue secure phones that are checked in and out, recovered when officers quit, etc.

I looked at your product and it certainly doesn't look ready for prime time to me, nor will the deployment of "Radar" turn any company into the next Securitas.

...or perhaps I'm wrong. If you have a cruiser-class company like Securitas running Radar, I'd be interested to hear about it.

(In only the smallest companies are the same people involved in contract acquisition AND responsible for guard management, so any alleged advantage or savigs in one area would never translate into increased efficiency in the other. For medium sized firms, they have sales people who do nothing but that, and site/client managers who manage the guard force.)

And this cracked me up: Officers scanning QRS post codes from home? Please. I hardly need your technology to solve a problem like that!!

Square up your claims with reality and turn down the volume on the hype with respect to what technology can do - or go away. The real world is out there. Step outside your cubicle and take a look.

P.S. In the future, it would be a very good idea to get a native English speaker to edit your posts.

*I am not affiliated in any way with any guard reporting or management software.
        Last edited by SecTrainer; 08-25-2017, 06:13 PM.
        "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

Seems like both of these companies are shilling for each other...

Comment

Securitas sucks...is my response to that.

Comment

Originally posted by Soper View Post
              Seems like both of these companies are shilling for each other...
              Hardly....
              "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

worked with an ex-G4S regional manager or whatever. Sounded like a real mess.

I think its mostly that a big account like B of A is only gonna do biz with a big firm like G4S

Comment

G4S = security version of Comcast.

Comment

Originally posted by PhantomX0990 View Post
                    G4S = security version of Comcast.
                    Bwahahahahahaha!

Thanks. I needed that.

Comment

300x250

Collapse

Mid 300x250

Collapse