Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interactive Police/School Safety & Security initiative (IPSSS).

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interactive Police/School Safety & Security initiative (IPSSS).

Video surveillance is common place in a bank, but what is more valuable: money or children?

As a retired Incident Commander and Hostage Negotiator with the RCMP Emergency Response Team (SWAT) I have real hand knowledge and experince related to the vulnarbility of the first responders during these situations.

Anyone who keeps abreast of the latest threats to educational facilities understands that our school grounds and classrooms are vulnerable. There are a great number of steps that can be taken to improve “access control”, however, if a predator or deranged individual is motivated enough – no educational facility can prevent intrusion. Once the threat is in the building,
    then immediate action must be implemented to secure the safety and evacuation of the innocents.

Law enforcement officials have labelled these type of scenarios as “active shooters” requiring “urgent threat intervention ”. When responding to a call for help from an educational establishment, police need rapid intelligence on the location and capabilities of the predator.

The objective of the first responders is to seek out the violent intruder and take aggressive action to stop the grievous acts. Unfortunately, during times of crisis, the information on the whereabouts of the perpetrator and the
    status of his/her armament is often sketchy. School officials do not always have the luxury of communicating direct with the police officers responding or the dispatchers.

Trinus Technologies Inc. are introducing an Voice / Video over IP (VoIP)
    Interactive Police/School Safety & Security initiative (IPSSS).

How Does IPSSS Work? (secure, see, save— Safe SOLUTION!)

Incorporating the latest technology of VoIP (voice over IP) audio communications, Trinus Technologies Inc. install a network of digital cameras and audio intercoms within the school. The “pipeline” which houses the audio and video communication feed can “piggy back” on an existing computer network. Unlimited faculty may have access to the images in their classrooms or it can be restricted to more secure areas, such as the Principals office. The local police service is provided with the IP address and passwords for the school computer network. In the case of any emergency, local police can log onto the system and monitor the images displayed on the cameras. First responders, equipped with a laptop, can also access the images at their staging area, or out front of the school, via a wireless conduit. Audio pickups may be installed with the cameras to permit the monitoring of any voice communication or sounds. The communication can be configured to be interactive. The option exists for the school, or the educational board of governance, to record video images and archive the images for future reference to mitigate vandalism or other forms of property damage or injury.

visit www.trinustech.com and follow the Corporate Support Services link to learn more...

Good points, but how do you protect a school bus?
    Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security
      Good points, but how do you protect a school bus?
      Good question as they are large yellow targets on wheels.

Comment

A majority of schools in this area have cameras in ALL classrooms and common areas that are tied into the school districts network. It has been used in court numerous times for vandalism, drugs, etc.
        I agree that ALL schools across the nation should have the benefit of this added security. Especially with all of the recent activities of school violence that have happened.

As for the school buses. Most metropolitan area school buses have cameras installed. The buses here are also wi-fi equiped. When the bus is in a wi-fi "hot" spot the video can be seen live at the main transit office. The video is also recorded on the bus. There is a push here to have "hot" spots throughout the major arterial streets which would also give the school buses live feed on some side streets. The only problem with this is who is going to monitor 500-750 buses in real-time. I have discussed with the school district here that a panic switch or silent alarm be placed on all buses as well to alert the transit authority of a situation. That will allow someone to be alerted to the live video and audio from the bus. The county is also working on this for all of the public transit buses. The cost, of course, will be added to property taxes which makes some people cringe. The school district is trying to work with large internet companies and the county to lower cost and make a wi-fi friendly city.

Comment

My wife works in a number of elementary schools in the Montreal area. I agree 100% that having cameras that could track a suspect once inside the buildings is a fantastic idea. Then we come down to money. There are kids so poor in some of the schools that they don't have breakfast in the mornings. The school uses some of the money it gets for education to give them free breakfasts. There is no way a lot of these schools could afford systems like these.
          I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
          Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

I like the idea behind the breakfast programs, kids deserve to eat, but at the same time, I want to slap the parent(s) to get up and make toast and corn flakes. Major cities have plenty of work, and Canada certainly has plenty of safety nets.
            How many of us work overtime and 2 jobs to make ends meet....

Sorry, guess this does not fit with the question or Christmas time frame.
            Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted.
            Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by Eric
              I like the idea behind the breakfast programs, kids deserve to eat, but at the same time, I want to slap the parent(s) to get up and make toast and corn flakes. Major cities have plenty of work, and Canada certainly has plenty of safety nets.
              How many of us work overtime and 2 jobs to make ends meet....

Sorry, guess this does not fit with the question or Christmas time frame.
              In the vast majority of these cases PARENT applies, not PARENTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Rooney
                A majority of schools in this area have cameras in ALL classrooms and common areas that are tied into the school districts network. It has been used in court numerous times for vandalism, drugs, etc.
                I agree that ALL schools across the nation should have the benefit of this added security. Especially with all of the recent activities of school violence that have happened.

As for the school buses. Most metropolitan area school buses have cameras installed. The buses here are also wi-fi equiped. When the bus is in a wi-fi "hot" spot the video can be seen live at the main transit office. The video is also recorded on the bus. There is a push here to have "hot" spots throughout the major arterial streets which would also give the school buses live feed on some side streets. The only problem with this is who is going to monitor 500-750 buses in real-time. I have discussed with the school district here that a panic switch or silent alarm be placed on all buses as well to alert the transit authority of a situation. That will allow someone to be alerted to the live video and audio from the bus. The county is also working on this for all of the public transit buses. The cost, of course, will be added to property taxes which makes some people cringe. The school district is trying to work with large internet companies and the county to lower cost and make a wi-fi friendly city.
                That might help you determine how and who did it. Unfortunately, it won't prevent a terrorist attack.

Comment

That might help you determine how and who did it. Unfortunately, it won't prevent a terrorist attack.
                  Actually Mr. Security they would help while the incident was occurring & would help with the police response. I was listening to my scanner on September 13 when the gunman started shooting inside Dawson College in Montreal. The police had followed him into the school so knew where he was but an hour after they took him out they were still searching the school looking for a 2nd or 3rd gunman. Cameras would have made the search a lot easier.

Comment

Originally posted by HotelSecurity
                    Actually Mr. Security they would help while the incident was occurring & would help with the police response. I was listening to my scanner on September 13 when the gunman started shooting inside Dawson College in Montreal. The police had followed him into the school so knew where he was but an hour after they took him out they were still searching the school looking for a 2nd or 3rd gunman. Cameras would have made the search a lot easier.
                    Are we talking about the same thing? How would cameras thwart an attack on a school bus?

Comment

In a real terorrist attack, cameras won't do much good. Terrorists will rely on speed and overwhelming force when its time to strike. Usually by trying to blow themselves up.

We saw the bombers in London on CCTV. Great pics. Before the stations blew up.

Police response takes minutes. Usually up to 10. In 10 minutes, the attacker can get in, find a good position, and detonate in place LOTS of explosives carried on his person. Or in his vehicle. Or on a donkey...
                      Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Are we talking about the same thing? How would cameras thwart an attack on a school bus?
                        Mr. Security the point HotelSecurity is trying to make is an attack on a school bus with CCTV coverage and under constant monitoring by school security would be short lived. Law enforcement would know of the event and having sector patrols, arrive within seconds. One of the proposals on the table is a remote operated "kill switch" that can only be restarted by special technicians. The technology would be the next evolution of what the railroad uses to stop a train that misses a stop signal. The missing pieces of positive control and false electronic signaling remain the challenge. So the window of opportunity for the miscreant is narrow indeed.
                        To strike terror into a community would be the use of a roadside explosive device or another vehicle loaded with explosives and a suicidal driver.
                        Enjoy the day,
                        Bill

Comment

OK. I can see it helping in a situation involving a gunman, etc. I'll PM you both for security reasons regarding my concern and why CCTV would not prevent the scenario I am referring to.

Comment

i forgot to mention in my post above. The fact that the police did not know if there was more than one gunman involved delayed getting medical help to some of the injured people. We presently only have one ambulance crew that are SWAT trained.

Comment

We've just had an example here in Montreal this morning where cameras have helped in the type of situation discussed. Around 09h30 a janitor at the Concodrdia University in Montreal saw a young man dressed in army clothing, walking into one of the buildings with what looked like a gun case.

The area was sealed. Intervention Units & police dogs were brought in & they began to search the building. However it was the camera system that helped in this situation. Checking the tapes with Security the police spotted the suspect & saw him put the case in a locker. They opened the locker & found a martial arts stick weapon inside the case, no gun. The cameras probably saved hours of searching.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X