Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Something to note. I rarely give business cards to clients. I give business cards to potential clients, who are still determining who they are wanting to buy services from.

A regular, established, client will know who I am, I'll have given them plenty of information. Your business card, in a sales environment, is who you are professionally.

For patrol/identification purposes in security and law enforcement, a handwritten contact number or case number is the norm.

But, for brokering deals and things, your card has to stand out from everyone else's, as well as everything else about the sales pitch. Potential clients look at the package deal.

Leave a comment:

• Secure Permagrin
    replied
    i disagree with both of you, first impressions make a huge deal, your professionaly done business cards say more than you think, they say your established, and know that your number isnt changing cause like your company your not going anywhere, and the hand written number on the card doesnt seem to professional, its good but sometime clients notice the smaller things.

Leave a comment:

• Professional Rent-a-Cop
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr. Security
    My wife designed mine using this readily available software and we bought business card stock at staples. I'm good to go.

Initially, I made the mistake of ordering high-end business cards from a local printer, only to have my phone and pager numbers change. Now I have a 90% full box of costly good-for-nothing cards.

Don't waste your money on expensive cards. The client wants quality work, not fancy business cards.
    I never actually list my contact numbers; I always customize my VistaPrint cards with a blank line next to the word "contact". Then, I can hand-write my current number when I hand out my cards. Takes a little more effort, but is worth it to me so I don't waste money ordering pre-printed cards in case my number changes, or I don't want to give out my cell line.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• Curtis Baillie
    replied
    Next time I need cards I'll give you a try.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    That's their normal thing. "We" offer print media printing services now, but we don't even try to compete with the Vistaprint "Free Business Cards" offer. Basically, for 14 bucks, you get 250 cards. The 14 bucks is shipping, handling, upload of custom business card "image."

Leave a comment:

• Curtis Baillie
    replied
    Looks like the offer is back on - except you pay a small amount for shipping.

Leave a comment:

• HotelSecurity
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr. Security
    My wife designed mine using this readily available software and we bought business card stock at staples. I'm good to go.

Initially, I made the mistake of ordering high-end business cards from a local printer, only to have my phone and pager numbers change. Now I have a 90% full box of costly good-for-nothing cards.

Don't waste your money on expensive cards. The client wants quality work, not fancy business cards.
    Sometimes you can print your new numbers on return address stickers & stick them over the old numbers.

For my regular Officers we use cards with the hotel logo & address etc with no name. We print the names on clear return address labels & stick them on the cards. They don't look too bad.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    MS Word

Leave a comment:

• SecTrainer
    replied
    Providing you have a reasonably high-quality printer, you can also walk into any Staples or Office Max and pick up both any number of cheap software products and the "microperf" card stock for designing and printing not only your own cards, but also your own letterheads. Some have a library of thousands of pre-designed logos that you can directly modify or import into something like Photoshop.

I wouldn't have said this maybe even 3 years ago, but today the whole setup, including the photo-quality printer, will cost you less than a couple of trips to the printer, especially if you incur initial design costs. This is especially true for business cards...I'd probably still have letterheads printed (using the design I created in this software) because envelopes are an issue with self-printing sometimes.

If you want something like embossed cards, you can still use this setup to design them yourself and print up a supply of, shall we say, "everyday-use" non-embossed cards - which will still look very, very nice. But then take your design to the printer and have them provide you with the "high-end" embossed cards, and you only give these out to clients, professional contacts, etc. when you need to project the "high-quality" image, so to speak. You'll be able to order the expensive embossed cards less often and will be much less reluctant to give away your "everyday" cards freely than you might be with embossed ones. I carry a card holder with two compartments - one for each type of card.
    Last edited by SecTrainer; 12-16-2006, 11:36 AM.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Originally posted by Security Consultant
    I went to the site and ordered the free business card with some customization and took advantage to the free 2007 calander offer. I paid shipping on both. Good deal though.
    Yeah, Vistaprint will just about free anything, and make you only pay shipping. If you're not after huge volume on products... Its a good way to get cheap stuff.

I have several of their materials printed for clients. Be aware that if you make your own custom designs, what you see on your monitor is NOT what you will get from Vistaprint unless you are familiar with designing in CYMK Process Coated format.

What is on my monitor (with CYMK Process Coated color tones) makes everything look washed out and grey.

Leave a comment:

• Curtis Baillie
    replied
    I went to the site and ordered the free business card with some customization and took advantage to the free 2007 calander offer. I paid shipping on both. Good deal though.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Originally posted by Andy Taylor
    They want to charge me for shipping too. I'm in the US.
    I believe the "free shipping" is not actually happening.

Also, good luck if oyu have to call Vistaprint on behalf of a client. I wanted to pull my hair out talking to their customer service. They could not comprehend that the file I am working on is for a client, not me.

Leave a comment:

• Andy Taylor
    replied
    They want to charge me for shipping too. I'm in the US.

Leave a comment:

• HotelSecurity
    replied
    Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
    Which is strange, because they are an international company based in Bermuda.
    But they charge us for shipping.

Leave a comment:

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X