No announcement yet.

When does armed security make sense?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since this thread has already gone off topic I'll add my 2 cents. (2.2 cents US )

In the hotels we get 3 types of welfare checks:

1) Unanswered wakeup calls. Where the guest has not answered the wake up call. Usually because he is in the shower or has already left the room. But sometimes this is when we find the guest that have died in their sleep or committed suicide. (I've found about 6).

2) Do not disturb signs on the doors. There is a big debate in the hotel community as to when you should check a room even if it has a do not disturb sign on the door. In my case we investigae first. Has the guest made any outgoing phone calls in the past 8 hours? Have they ordered Room Service? Have they watched any pay per view films? Do we hear voices from outside the room? Do they answer the phone? Has the floor Maid seen them? If all the previous are negative then even with a do not disturb sign we will check on the well being of the guest. Some hotels won't.

3) The guest who does not want to talk to his wife calling from home. (He might have a "visitor" )It is the guest who is paying us & is entitled to his privacy, not the wife back at home. You'd be surprsed how some will try & bully us. What we will do is go & stand outside the room & have the Operator call to confirm that the phone is working. However, exceptions have been made when the wife says that the guest is suffering from some illness.
    I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
    Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Originally posted by HotelSecurity View Post
      Since this thread has already gone off topic I'll add my 2 cents. (2.2 cents US )

3) The guest who does not want to talk to his wife calling from home. (He might have a "visitor" )It is the guest who is paying us & is entitled to his privacy, not the wife back at home. You'd be surprsed how some will try & bully us. What we will do is go & stand outside the room & have the Operator call to confirm that the phone is working. However, exceptions have been made when the wife says that the guest is suffering from some illness.
      That made me laugh, having to note that. Everyone knows the concept that the concierge at the hotel plays the middle man for people on the road seeking "companionship" and that post kind of reinforced it in my mind a bit Confidentiality wise that could be a problem as "Your husband/whatever is not taking any phone calls right now" does not exactly ease their tension. Sigh, men. (Women too, but alot more men!)

Comment

Originally posted by Maelstrom View Post
        Q: When does armed security make sense?

A: When Security is required to take affirmative action to defend themselves and/or others
        Yes. There may come several situations where the guards have to take quick actions otherwise the results may get worse. In such situations armed security holds a great importance.

Comment

Most Security is just being the designated identifiable person to deal with Security issues, and gun is about the least important issue and mostly just gets in the way and brings on major risks of its own.

Its the bank teller's job to count the money, work the accounts, and use charm to scare up new biz, its the waitress's job to get the food right, its the clerk's job to know their stock.

On my first training by a retired FBI agent for a major high tech client he told us "Every other non-management employee is entitled to witness a heist of the company property and not do a damn thing with a clear conscious".

Which I personally didn't agree with 100% being as it was a famously nice to employees company, but on the other hand you could say "Company capped my salary at X for my skills at hiring, which didn't include me as Security, Landscaping, Traffic Control, etc....and I'm not ALLOWED to act as Security to stop and question The Suits about how they might be illegally screwing employees".

Fair is fair and employees are no longer serfs. If employer wants "notice" before quitting they need to have Severance Pay equal to the Notice they desire.

Likewise, if they want employees acting as Security they gotta pay and train them for it, as well as factor in the mental stress of dealing with semi-nasty situations.

Mostly, Security is more akin to Janitorial. Just doing the jobs the other productive employees shouldn't be bothered with.

Comment

I used to think every guard should be armed. Recently my opinion has changed. In most cases if you are a gate guard doing physical security/access control on a fixed site. Being armed isn't going to change the overall scope of your duties. It just gives you a means of self defense.

I think that if a guard is going to be armed, he obviously needs to be well-trained and the exact scope of his duties needs to be clearly delineated and any concept of police duties needs to be DE-EMPHASIZED.

If a guard is going to be armed he should be armed with EITHER a gun OR OC spray. He shouldn't have to choose between a lethal and a non-lethal option like a citizen with a concealed handgun permit he should only touch his gun if he can clearly articulate a specific action by his attacker that would make any reasonable person in the same circumstances believe that they were in imminent danger of losing their life or suffering permanent bodily harm.

Comment

300x250

Collapse

Mid 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Super Leaderboard

Collapse
            Working...
            X