Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• man killed inside own home by "swatting" prank

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.3726171

no re-think of police response mentioned. shouldn't we have body-cam for a SWAT response to hostage situation?

someone should make a video game where the "weapon" is swatting.

or this could be the plot of my next bad movie script!

Two pimply faced socially awkward teenage trolls do battle via swatting, and meta-swatting. Things spin out of control when an address being swatted turns out to be a major cartel safe-house, so the cops figure it must have been an intentional tip, because if there isn't a hostage situation at a Cartel safe house, there probably was earlier in the day, or maybe the house was just the ransom drop, and hostages were down the block, etc.

Did I mention Mexican style middleclass kidnapping for petty ransom will soon be common in USA?

Then the cops start taking the trolls seriously. At the same time, cartel #1 figures cartel#2 has broken the truce, as well as the Criminal's Code of Conduct by 'snitching'

Why do you find this story amusing? You are as callous as the gamer that has no guilt over this.

When someone close to you dies at a young age for no discernible reason, you learn a thing called empathy. I hope you get it without having to go through that.

I agree that an investigation is in order.

Comment

Originally posted by Condo Guard View Post
      Why do you find this story amusing? You are as callous as the gamer that has no guilt over this.

When someone close to you dies at a young age for no discernible reason, you learn a thing called empathy. I hope you get it without having to go through that.

I agree that an investigation is in order.
      I'm just trying to turn a negative into a positive.

I'm being realistic and saying the ONLY thing that will change this Policy is either/or:

1)Swatting and resulting Murder By Cop of politician or their family members.

2)A new culture of ridicule of police as emotionally unstable incompetents, who are easily manipulated by teenage "trolls". Today, cops have a firmly set attitude that "no one tells them what to do" mostly because all sort of people want to use the Power of The Badge to come in on their side in all sorts of disputes, so cops have to naturally resist any and all requests, at first.

IMO we don't need another "investigation" because we know what happened. Police training says "if his movement COULD be reaching for a gun, you are cleared to blast away to your heart's content because of OFFICER SAFETY".

On paper (Constitution) you aren't supposed to receive any punishment until the COURT says so.

In reality rogue cops, protected by Civil Service from voters, are handing out Death Penalties to "make example out of" random Joe Sixpack types for not catering to their emotional outbursts.

Notice 99.999% of politicians are 110% uncritically not "pro law enforcement" but Pro-Police UNION. It should be the exact other way around. Any politician is the EMPLOYER/MANAGEMENT and correctly should be always opposed to the Police Union, who are the employees from whom The People are trying to extract the most work for the least money. That is because no politicians have any real power over Police Unions. It would literally take 2/3? of Congress/Senate to impeach and remove the majority of SCOTUS members at this point to even begin reforming our police.

Did I mention all this "Swatting" involves a claim of kidnapping/hostage, because that must be something the cops are required to go in "heavy" on? And that soon amateur Mexican style kidnapping will be as common in USA as in Mexico?

I'm prediction a big spike in police raids on hostage situations, because it will take low level Mexican criminals a while to figure out that in the USA the (still mostly American) cops will even take interest in kidnapping/murder of regular peons, and even have the tech to trace cell phones.
      Last edited by Squid; 12-30-2017, 04:21 PM.

Comment

More unprofessional and unproductive posts by squid. He seems to delight in the misery of others, then posts it as a means of satisfying some type of desire. It goes to show his mental status and why he’s failed at so many jobs.

its too bad we all have to suffer too...

Comment

I blame it squarely on the shoulders of YouTube.. why?? It was basically unheard of until recently. Its come about because of YT paying folks for their channels & amount of subscribers.
          So if Squid & I both run channels about World of Warcraft but he has less subs than me he may call swat in on me to try to get me knocked out/offline. And up his subs in the process, as every moment lost on YT is a loss of subs.

Its stupid garbage, same as catfishing, same as reality tv. Its contributing to the rampant stupidity rampaging in the USA & just not as much elsewhere.

Stupid is as stupid does

Comment

The culture of online gaming is kind of in a weird state right now. With more and more parents thinking that online gaming is a kids only thing with more game titles having a Teen or Mature ratings and the chats being totally uncensored can lead to some volatile encounters between players. I was playing GTA V online which is an M rated game for players 18 years or older. I was getting trolled by some 13 year olds who saw I was not in a clan and thought I was going to be easy pickings to mess with. I left the server and joined another and these pricks decided to follow me so I had my fun with them,. I went balls to the wall just taking out anyone with their clan tag and racked up quite the KDR (Kill to Death ratio ). I was sent hate mail , reported for harassment and racial insults which started the 2 day ban while they investigated the claims. I did my 2 days and when I got back the people who were messing with me had their clan disbanded and plus they got console and account bans ( meaning that they can no longer use that console on their servers and their accounts were locked). Had I given any information out about where I could of been found I would of more then likely been swatted myself. PVP can get nasty at time with people using hacks and lag switches to cheat. With the cost of a new console, the loss of all the xp, items and in game currency lost can send a gamer over the edge in a heartbeat. With the cost of real world dollars to replace what was lost could be in the thousands if not 10's of thousands depending on the account involved. Some items are only available through loot boxes once an event is over. For some people RN Jesus can be really cruel .
            Confronted with the choice, the American people would choose the policeman's truncheon over the anarchist's bomb.
            Spiro Agnew

Why yes I am a glorified babysitter , I am here to politely ask you to follow the rules , if not daddy comes to spank you and put you in time out its your choice - Me

Luck is a red hair woman , if you ever dated one you know there remarkably dangerous , my personal preference is to be competent and let luck join the ride if she so chooses .- Clint Smith

Comment

Thanks Steve - I'd forgotten how serious gaming can be. SgtWinters nailed it - our whole culture has taken a nose dive in the last decade, and a lot of these people need to step away from the computer. (Any hobby that takes up 90 to 100% of your time is a sign of sickness.)

I work with some gamers, and I guess since they are a bit older and actually have jobs they are some of the coolest people I know - hard working, well rounded and very sharp senses of humor.

To bring this back to security, it is a reminder that we have to be careful in a world where people are vengeful, and can set up situations that are not what they appear to be.

Comment

Here's the latest on the incident - they did make an arrest: http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...230-story.html

Comment

The a** hole who did this prank should face life in a Kansas prison
                  http://www.laurel-and-hardy.com/ Greatest Comedy team ever!

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3qnr35_sZw
                    Confronted with the choice, the American people would choose the policeman's truncheon over the anarchist's bomb.
                    Spiro Agnew

Why yes I am a glorified babysitter , I am here to politely ask you to follow the rules , if not daddy comes to spank you and put you in time out its your choice - Me

Luck is a red hair woman , if you ever dated one you know there remarkably dangerous , my personal preference is to be competent and let luck join the ride if she so chooses .- Clint Smith

Comment

Originally posted by psycosteve View Post
                      The culture of online gaming is kind of in a weird state right now. With more and more parents thinking that online gaming is a kids only thing with more game titles having a Teen or Mature ratings and the chats being totally uncensored can lead to some volatile encounters between players. I was playing GTA V online which is an M rated game for players 18 years or older. I was getting trolled by some 13 year olds who saw I was not in a clan and thought I was going to be easy pickings to mess with. I left the server and joined another and these pricks decided to follow me so I had my fun with them,. I went balls to the wall just taking out anyone with their clan tag and racked up quite the KDR (Kill to Death ratio ). I was sent hate mail , reported for harassment and racial insults which started the 2 day ban while they investigated the claims. I did my 2 days and when I got back the people who were messing with me had their clan disbanded and plus they got console and account bans ( meaning that they can no longer use that console on their servers and their accounts were locked). Had I given any information out about where I could of been found I would of more then likely been swatted myself. PVP can get nasty at time with people using hacks and lag switches to cheat. With the cost of a new console, the loss of all the xp, items and in game currency lost can send a gamer over the edge in a heartbeat. With the cost of real world dollars to replace what was lost could be in the thousands if not 10's of thousands depending on the account involved. Some items are only available through loot boxes once an event is over. For some people RN Jesus can be really cruel .

WT actual F? I'm so glad I have a life

Comment

IMO Swatting is a public service doing much needed expose of criminality and incompetence of our so called Public Safety Depts.

Yes, it had to be "swatting" because by nature Swatting involves a totally innocent person.

Without it being Swatting police crime and incompetence is always explained away, with help from TV news, and swept under the rug, since there will be a few elements of maybe SOMETHING going on.

Think of Swatting as a good, clean, pure TEST CASE on the reality of Police Policy, without any Red Herrings or distractions.

Funny True Story about Test Cases from my Jr HS days:

We were all of course taught all about Rosa Parks and the Great Bus Boycott, etc, etc ad nauseam. (This was in a town where the lavishly equipped and funded bus service was rendered nearly useless by Black on White crime on the buses. People literally had to plan trips around which routes had Black crime and which were more safe, but I digress).

Anyways, back to Rosa Parks.....it came out via outside research that the Rosa Parks incident was not (as promoted by school) some random case of someone "just not being able to take it anymore". It was a planned Test Case.

They were gonna use a 16yr old girl but decided against it because she had gotten knocked up, and also being a minor effected her ability to do legal stuff on her own. So they picked Rosa Parks because she had a job sewing bedsheets at a factory. What they didn't want is maybe like some much loved nurse-maid to some rich White folks. They didn't want something like "OK, certain extra good approved Blacks can ride in front". Rosa's bedsheet factory job was perfect. Boring, honest useful work, but nothing is gonna happen if one of a dozen workers doesn't show up to sew bedsheets. Hard to derail with Red Herrings or distractions.

SO, via outside research, us kids learned how to do a Test Case, which is how you challenge unjust regimes in court. You create a situation that "frames" your issue, then send it through the legal process using the legal arguments you have at the ready, etc. You don't need huge funding, you mostly just need to be legally right, or at least able to cause The Establishment some grief.

So naturally all us kids started thinking of some Test Case we could run as Junior Social Justice Warriors, and naturally the prime target was the semi-prison militaristic manner in which schools are run.

One might think the school and the rabidly left wing teachers who harped on Rosa Parks etc would be overjoyed that we had picked up the torch so to speak and were doing real political action stuff rather than flicking boogers and watching TV, as well as working together as a truly color-blind organization on our own.

Of course, the school reacted very badly, and totally clamped down on dissent, sending nasty letters to parents as if their kids were useless delinquents, while at the same time suddenly invented a Bread and Circuses type "field day" where we got all day recess and cheap free hotdogs and cokes.

Comment

Mods - please move this to Off Topic or Burn Barrel. Not relevant to security discussions, veiled racist remarks by Squid.

Comment

Originally posted by Squid View Post
                            http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.3726171

no re-think of police response mentioned. shouldn't we have body-cam for a SWAT response to hostage situation?

someone should make a video game where the "weapon" is swatting.

or this could be the plot of my next bad movie script!

Two pimply faced socially awkward teenage trolls do battle via swatting, and meta-swatting. Things spin out of control when an address being swatted turns out to be a major cartel safe-house, so the cops figure it must have been an intentional tip, because if there isn't a hostage situation at a Cartel safe house, there probably was earlier in the day, or maybe the house was just the ransom drop, and hostages were down the block, etc.

Did I mention Mexican style middleclass kidnapping for petty ransom will soon be common in USA?

Then the cops start taking the trolls seriously. At the same time, cartel #1 figures cartel#2 has broken the truce, as well as the Criminal's Code of Conduct by 'snitching'
                            Squid.

Knock it off.

Comment

Originally posted by SgtWinters View Post
                              I blame it squarely on the shoulders of YouTube.. why?? It was basically unheard of until recently. Its come about because of YT paying folks for their channels & amount of subscribers.
                              So if Squid & I both run channels about World of Warcraft but he has less subs than me he may call swat in on me to try to get me knocked out/offline. And up his subs in the process, as every moment lost on YT is a loss of subs.

Its stupid garbage, same as catfishing, same as reality tv. Its contributing to the rampant stupidity rampaging in the USA & just not as much elsewhere.

Stupid is as stupid does
                              Less youtube, more Twitch.

I second that this should be in Off Topic.

Last edited by PhantomX0990; 01-02-2018, 03:39 AM.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X