Flashlight issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flashlight issues

I'm in the market for a new flashlight. I have a Fenix TK 15 (I think) which is pretty small but very bright for its size.

I also have a Fenix TK 75, which clocks in at 2600 lumens.

The small one is too small and not bright enough for the outside, though it's easy to carry. The big one is nice and bright, but it will kill the four 18650 batteries in a little over an hour. The batteries then take several hours to recharge, and, of course, there's a limit to recharges before performance suffers. It's also too hard to carry around for long due to it's size, and it heats up quickly.

So I need something smaller that will fit on a belt or in a scabbard, but brighter than the small one. I don't consider anything less than 2000 lumens to be useful. Ideas?

Do you know about Candlepower Forums? Your question is one of the "bread and butter" questions that is very common on CPF. Perhaps you should consider something that uses only 2 x 18650s. The Nitecore P36 is just one example of a light that is 2000 lumens that uses 2 x 18650 batteries. It isn't necessarily the 2 x 18650 light with the MOST lumens or the most throw. The Nitecore EC4S would be another light that is more than 2000 lumens and uses 2 x 18650 batteries. The Olight M3X-UT Javelot runs 2 x 18650, but may be a bit too long for some people. It is one of the better throwers, but the lumens may come in at less than 2000. It is a bit misleading, but the lights with the highest number of lumens aren't always the ones with the greatest throw. Of course, I am not even sure if you want throw or more of a floody light.

Other things to consider, if you do get a 2 x 18650 light, do you want the design a pair of 18650s side by side, which gives a more compact light or do you prefer one behind the other, which obviously gives a longer light.

Do you want this to be rechargeable in the light? I do like that option, but many purist prefer to charge the batteries outside of the light. Will you be carrying spare batteries?

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forum.php

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...row&highlight=
    Last edited by Jim1348; 09-10-2016, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Battery life vs. brightness is the ongoing issue. I have a compact flashlight (don't remember the brand) that has a high and low setting, depending on how many times you click the button. I've found it to be a good compromise. If I'm just walking around in a dark area and don't want to trip, I keep it on low. If I need to look at a door, window or moving person, I can use high. I do like an adjustable beam like the maglights have, but I've noticed a lot of the compacts don't have that option.

The "all in one" rechargeables are OK, but the issue is if there's only one flashlight left and its still charging, you have to wait. With removable batteries you have more flexibility. (On my last job you could get points knocked off on an inspection if there was not a set of charged spare batteries available at all times.)

Comment

I purchased a Klarus XT11 back in 2011 and it has been my primary duty light ever since, I primarily work in low light conditions and often walk about with the light in my hand but off OR in low mode, with a respectable 700+ Lumen output it is still to this day the brightest light anyone at my company has seen/used with the next closest being an LED Lenser, having a stippled reflector to soften the harsh output of the multi emitter LED I can say it has a good balance of blinding light and throw (throw equal to my Jetbeam Jet III-M).

Runtime is great but I always carry a spare 18650 in an old mini M&M's tube in my work bag this would also fit nicely into a vacant pouch on a duty rig.

Since then Klarus has released the ST11 which is similar in form factor but with an output of almost 1000Lm, so if I were to upgrade this would be my next purchase as the XT11 worked flawlessly and has been dropped all too often on concrete etc. so I can vouch for their ruggedness.

​​​​​​Sounds like you already have a powerful search light so a compact single 18650 all rounder would be an excellent choice but for the output specification... out of curiosity why 2000Lm? most of these high output lights back down the output after a brief "turbo" period anyway as they do not have the mass to adequately deal with the heat output of the LED at maximum brightness.
        Last edited by Maelstrom; 10-03-2016, 12:10 PM.
        "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give" - Winston Churchill

Comment

My flashlight is a Fenix PD35.

Comment

Originally posted by fortsmithman View Post
            My flashlight is a Fenix PD35.
            What's the difference between that and a UC35

Comment

The pd35 is .4 inch smaller, and 1000 lumens vs 960 of the UC35 35. Even though there is not much different between the two.

Comment

The pd35 is .4 inch smaller, and 1000 lumens vs 960 of the UC35 35. Even though there is not much different between the two.
                Is it rechargeable?

Comment

Nope but I bought a charger and spare battery when I bought this from the dealer.

Comment

I have a streamlight stinger DS LED.

Comment

Nope but I bought a charger and spare battery when I bought this from the dealer.
                      The UC is rechargeable by a USB port which means I can charge it in the car if I have to. It cost like 90 bucks but I will bet you that I've saved over 90 bucks in the three years I've had it by just not having to buy batteries for it

Comment

Originally posted by Ingio Montoya View Post

The UC is rechargeable by a USB port which means I can charge it in the car if I have to. It cost like 90 bucks but I will bet you that I've saved over 90 bucks in the three years I've had it by just not having to buy batteries for it
                        The battery and spare battery I nought for this are both rechargeable. The batteries are Fenix brand 18650 3500mAh rechargeable. Both batteries are fully charged I keep the spare in my uniform shirt pocket in case the main battery goes dry during my shift. Both batteries cost me 30.00 a piece.

Comment

I like to carry those big D cell mag lights that way if you got a bend it around some crackhead bastard's head there's a little beef behind it

Comment

Originally posted by Trunk Monkey View Post
                            I like to carry those big D cell mag lights that way if you got a bend it around some crackhead bastard's head there's a little beef behind it
                            Sadly, people have been sued for that in this industry for using at as a weapon and not its intended purpose.
                            A wise son hears his father's instruction,but a scoffer does not listen to rebuke. Proverbs 13:1

"My “Black-Ops” history ensures that you will never know about the missions I accepted in my younger days, and Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later. " G-45

Comment

The contract companies are wise to that too, specifically banning "metal flashlights." The other reason to carry the old D cell lights was that they were brighter, but the new compact ones (especially the LEDs) have so much more candle power.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X