Many Opting For Security Guards, Not Cops

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GuardSecSSCS View Post
    Yeah that's true, but they still use private police forces. And Camden County also uses Allied Barton to bolster their police force. These guards aren't armed and don't have arrest powers, but they patrol areas where the police aren't and respond to alarms. And I think security guards in schools are better than police officers in schools mainly because they are cheaper. You can hire twice as many security guards and still save money. And most of the job is observing and reporting anyways, I mean school shootings aren't a daily occurrence, and security guards are all you need for that. Plus, they can respond to school shooters, despite not being as well trained as police officers.
    Armed school security is NOT merely observe and report. There is reasonable suspicion locker and student searches, parking, traffic, trespass and board rule enforcement, alarm response, gang intervention and fight in progress. You are so ill-informed as to stagger the imagination! Quit chugging the proverbial "Haterade".... If you want to play cop, why not apply at an actual law enforcement agency. Good luck with that! You just might have a litany of issues in the
    background process, I find. ...Just sayin'.... --K.
    Bitter clinger to my guns and religion....

"When I die, I desire no better winding sheet than the Stars and Stripes, and no softer pillow than the Constitution of my country."--Andrew Jackson

Psychological Operations: Because physical wounds heal.

Comment

You also have to keep in mind that it is often in the best interest of the police department and schools administration to actually have an on site trained police officer. In large schools, a police officer may arrest a juvenile once a day. While generally the arrest is a misdemeanor and the juvenile can simply be cited and released to their parent, when the arrest is for a felony (which happens often as well) they have to transport the individual to juvenile hall.

If the high school did not have an on site police officer, school admin would have to call the police department to dispatch an officer. That is a lot of calls for service for a high school, and a huge waste of resources.

Most schools, and police departments, realize that placing a police officer on campus is not only beneficial because you do not need to call and wait for a police officer unfamiliar with the school to show up hours later but the on site police officer also makes fantastic connections with the kids.

Plus, a lot of school campuses have on site security plus a police officer. The school may not call them security, but they are definitely there. Their job titles may be "yard duty", "campus monitor", or "campus supervisor". While they are unarmed, they don't need to be armed. Their tasks are usually access control, parking lot checks, and extra eyes and ears on the campus.

You have to remember that a high school is like a very small city. If a crime can happen in a city, it can happen on a high school campus. When a campus police officer is constantly around 1000-3000 kids the officer will start to get to know the kids by name, what sports they play, and what problems they are having in their life. This will also allow the officer to filter through the kids that don't need positive police interaction, and pay attention to the ones that do. You have to remember that burglaries, batteries, assaults, rapes, and thefts all occur on school campuses.

Can a security officer perform some of these functions? Yes. Is having a on site armed security officer better than having an on site police officer? No. Simply put, police officers are given much more authority and training, and are better suited to be on a school campus.

Comment

Originally posted by Soper View Post
        Where did you find this information? Cite your sources.

Kid, you are just posting bull ****. You have no idea about what you are talking about, you can't cite any factual evidence. You refuse to listen to those who try and explain it to you.

It's clear that you alone think that security is the same as being a cop and no matter how hard you wish for it, it's not.

Stop maligning cops because you're frustrated at not being one.

Oh, by the way, the average is 3:1 security, not 2:1 . You didn't even get that made up 'fact' correct.
        Because you can cite factual evidence? You're the one that's been spouting nothing but nonsense . Where do you get your facts from?
        http://www.bls.gov/ooh/protective-se...ity-guards.htm
        http://www.bls.gov/ooh/Protective-Se...detectives.htm

The ratio is actually a little less than 2:1.

Comment

Originally posted by SpecialAgentKC View Post
          Armed school security is NOT merely observe and report. There is reasonable suspicion locker and student searches, parking, traffic, trespass and board rule enforcement, alarm response, gang intervention and fight in progress. You are so ill-informed as to stagger the imagination! Quit chugging the proverbial "Haterade".... If you want to play cop, why not apply at an actual law enforcement agency. Good luck with that! You just might have a litany of issues in the
          background process, I find. ...Just sayin'.... --K.
          I dont meet the requirements to join my citys department, and from my work history to my education, im not even competitive enough to try for most departments. I also have no military service. How am i playing cop? Im doing exactly what I am paid to do.

Comment

I give up. You are just a contrary wanna be who will never listen to facts. You don't know what you are talking about. You don't have any experience in the field. You don't have the ability to back up, with credible citations, the drivel you spout.

Enjoy your fantasy world. Someday it's going to crash down on you, HARD.

Comment

Why do I have a feeling that we will be seeing GuardSecSSCS's car on Hamsexy or a related website after they find enough lights, sirens and radios in his POV to open a Gall's outlet

Comment

This thread has gone far from the intentions of the thread.....therefore off to the Burn Barrel.
                Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
                Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

300x250

Collapse

Mid 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Super Leaderboard

Collapse
                Working...
                X