X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T202
    replied
    Originally posted by histfan71
    Living on a tiny tropical island does have some benefits.

On my days off I like to snorkel, go sailing, or explore all the WWII ruins on the island. The Marshall Islands has some of the best diving in the whole world, but I have not yet been able to take a scuba course yet. When I go snorkeling I usually see a few Reef sharks, but they do not bother me. In the last 25 years or so there has only been one shark attack, and that was because the diver was poking the shark!

Roi-Namur was invaded by the 4th Marine Division in 1944. The Japanese had a large 3-runway airfield on Roi, and had two battalions of infantry based on Namur. Most of the Japanese buildings were made of wood and were leveled in the invasion, but the concrete buildings and fortifications all survived. So did the underground hospital. The hospital still has the rusting remains of operating tables and oxygen cylinders! Many of the surviving Japanese buildings are just a wall or two, but a few are in really good shape, such as the command pillbox. When my camera arrives I will take pictures of whatever I can (some of the buildings are classified) and post them.

It is really neat to be able to raise the American flag over an actual battlefield every morning. How many people ever get to do that?
    Can I gather from your post that you like your job?
    It sound very interesting. Hope you get your camera soon, looking foward to seeing some pictures.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Living on a tiny tropical island does have some benefits.

On my days off I like to snorkel, go sailing, or explore all the WWII ruins on the island. The Marshall Islands has some of the best diving in the whole world, but I have not yet been able to take a scuba course yet. When I go snorkeling I usually see a few Reef sharks, but they do not bother me. In the last 25 years or so there has only been one shark attack, and that was because the diver was poking the shark!

Roi-Namur was invaded by the 4th Marine Division in 1944. The Japanese had a large 3-runway airfield on Roi, and had two battalions of infantry based on Namur. Most of the Japanese buildings were made of wood and were leveled in the invasion, but the concrete buildings and fortifications all survived. So did the underground hospital. The hospital still has the rusting remains of operating tables and oxygen cylinders! Many of the surviving Japanese buildings are just a wall or two, but a few are in really good shape, such as the command pillbox. When my camera arrives I will take pictures of whatever I can (some of the buildings are classified) and post them.

It is really neat to be able to raise the American flag over an actual battlefield every morning. How many people ever get to do that?

Leave a comment:

• boes1970
    replied
    Spending time with my wife and children. Cruising around on my Honda Shadow

A little bit of fooling around on the PC trying to create nice pictures.

Leave a comment:

• dla4122
    replied
    Originally posted by aka Bull

I think that had a lot to do with my second divorce.
    Oh crap, I almost forgot! I'm married! That's who that griping woman is in my living room,

Leave a comment:

• aka Bull
    replied
    Originally posted by dla4122
    Work on case load from the unit, only real time I get to work on my files is when I am away from the unit, lol.
    I ran our custody gang unit when I worked for an SO in California. LOL.....I used to spend more of my off-time working my gang files (who had time at work), keeping up investigation reports, reviewing status reports, mail scans of known/suspected members, etc..

I think that had a lot to do with my second divorce.

Leave a comment:

• dla4122
    replied
    Work on case load from the unit, only real time I get to work on my files is when I am away from the unit, lol.

Leave a comment:

• wvd1979
    replied
    Originally posted by EMTGuard
    Ssswwwweeetttt.
    If today is to be used as an example, get home, sleep, roll over and play bouncy bouncy with my lady, shower, heat a couple of Hot Pockets then head to the "hobby room", check in to some ham radio nets, turn the ham radio down, watch some TV and surf the forums on the internet. Girlfriend just got up and wandered back to the bed room. Gotta go. It's been a rough day.
    *Sigh* God, I miss bouncy bouncy. It's hard to meet chicks when you work mids.

Leave a comment:

• Charger
    replied
    LMAO @ bouncy bouncy...

Man, those days off sure are tough, aren't they?

Today was my day off, but I just got back from a callout anyway... Long story short, the responding S/O handled the situation WAY wrong, had a huge crowd of people ready to jump someone in front of him, (already cuffed and in his custody), and had kicked the 2nd suspect loose... Myself and our 3rd S/O responded cause we overheard all the yelling outside... Oh yea, and the responding S/O was our SUPE...

Did I mention I'm in the market for a new job? Anyone in this area hiring? LOL

Leave a comment:

• EMTGuard
    replied
    Ssswwwweeetttt.
    If today is to be used as an example, get home, sleep, roll over and play bouncy bouncy with my lady, shower, heat a couple of Hot Pockets then head to the "hobby room", check in to some ham radio nets, turn the ham radio down, watch some TV and surf the forums on the internet. Girlfriend just got up and wandered back to the bed room. Gotta go. It's been a rough day.

Leave a comment:

• OccamsRazor
    Guest replied
    Actually, a friend just posted this to another forum, and it pretty much sums things up for me:

Leave a comment:

• aka Bull
    replied
    Besides house chores, working in the yard, reading, playing on this computer, checking the forum, getting things ready for next weeks work, dining out, the occassional poker game night, and most importantly caring for my elderly mother?

Sleep, because I'm tired from all this off duty time.

Leave a comment:

• GCMC Security
    replied
    I got a day off once....no wait that was a movie..

I play paintball, hit the beach, golf, sleep sleep sleep....

Leave a comment:

• ozsecuritychic
    replied
    sleep in,house work.i only get sundays off.i also muck around with my daughter and partner.

Leave a comment:

• aphilpot
    replied
    I like long walks on the beach.....ummmm I read, work out, play with scanners, catch up on sleep and yard work....all the exciting stuff

Leave a comment:

• davis002
    replied
    Seeing that i get one day off every few weeks... I do nothing. Maybe play some battlefield 2 for a couple hours, run errands, etc.

Leave a comment:

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X