Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Put Your Car Keys Beside Your Bed At Night

Put Your Car Keys Beside Your Bed At Night

Just got this tip through one of my many emails and thought it would be something worthwhile to pass on to family members and friends - especially in high risk areas. This is a direct cut and paste:

"Tell your spouse, your children, your neighbors, your parents, your Dr office, the check-out girl at the market, everyone you run across.

Put your car keys beside your bed at night. If you hear a noise outside your home or someone trying to get in your house, just press the panic button for your car. The alarm will be set off, and the horn will continue to sound until either you turn it off or the car battery dies.

This tip came from a neighborhood watch coordinator. Next time you come home for the night and you start to put your keys away, think of this:

It's a security alarm system that you probably already have and requires no installation. Test it. It will go off from most everywhere inside your house and will keep honking until your battery runs down or until you reset it with the button on the key fob chain. It works if you park in your driveway or garage If your car alarm goes off when someone is trying to break in your house, odds are the burglar rapist won't stick around... after a few seconds all the neighbors will be looking out their windows to see who is out there and sure enough the criminal won't want that.

Remember to carry your keys while walking to your car in a parking lot. The alarm can work the same way there ..... This is something that should really be shared with everyone. Maybe it could save a life or a sexual abuse crime.

Would also be useful for any emergency, such as a heart attack, where you can't reach a phone. A date that goes bad or what ever? Don't thank me thank the guy /gal who thought of this idea, I just happen to think about passing it along. We all get complacent from time to time."

Now if this tip just stopped 1 victim anywhere in the world - it has been worth passing it on to all of you.

Cheers,

NRM_Oz.
    "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Sorry - It's just after midnite in Sydney and I'm sleeping now.
    Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
    Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

Of all things, my Viper 5900 does not have a panic button but other goodies.

Thats ok though. I live in an apartment on the 3rd floor. ANYONE who comes through the door unannounced will likely not come out.
      "I am not a hero. I am a silent guardian, a watchful protector"

Comment

How many people actually pay attention to car alarms, and how many of the ones who actually do will respond in a helpful way (as opposed to getting mad and vandalizing your car)?
        "A good deed’s like pissing yourself in dark pants. Warm feeling but no one notices." - Jacob Taylor

Comment

thats just stupid.

i sleep with a hot GLOCK on my night stand, a hot remington 870 under my bed and a hot s&w .40 on my desk in my bedroom. i feel far more comfortable with my odds using these items as opposed to relying on my car horn to scare an evil doer away.
          Washington DC

Comment

I may glance around if I'm already outside but I sure wont get up off the couch to look if an alarm sounds. Even at work I barely pay attention. Especially when you have alarms so sensitive a passing vehicle sets them off (why oh why do people do that?).

That said, its not bad advice. Most criminals are a little bit on edge and the noise might be enough to make them run off.

But like most here, I feel safe at home. No need to set the alarm while I'm here.

Comment

Originally posted by mjw064 View Post
              thats just stupid.

i sleep with a hot GLOCK on my night stand, a hot remington 870 under my bed and a hot s&w .40 on my desk in my bedroom. i feel far more comfortable with my odds using these items as opposed to relying on my car horn to scare an evil doer away.
              No mention of a girlfriend here, or wife....

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

Originally posted by mjw064 View Post
                thats just stupid.

Here in the wilds of Northern VA, I have a S&W Model 65 next to the night stand and a Sig Sauer P220 .45 in a desk drawer from which this is being written.
                Enjoy the day,
                Bill

Comment

Hrm... truck keys next to me for the 1 vehicle that has a remote?

I'll go with the current setup:

German Shepherd on floor next to my side of bed, home/vehicle/personal defense trained... she will go out... and not let go
                  AR-15 within arms reach on my side of bed, condition 2, with 2 30 rd mags and taclight
                  870 Express mag with slugs and sidesaddle within 3 ft of bed
                  USP .45 tactical w/ UTL on other side of bed
                  Wife lying next to me, who's experienced, and competed in IDPA with all the aforementioned weapon systems.

I don't live in a bad part of town, but it's better to have and not need.
                  Overmotivated and Underpaid... I'm a Security supervisors wet dream...

Comment

This is one of those "personal defense" chain mails that probably made its way around the world.
                    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

If I hear a car alarm, I usually just peek outside to check to make sure it's not me.
                      "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
                      "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Actually it came through a security association email and to be honest, some of us are unable to have unsecured firearms without a criminal record.

In New Zealand last year, a man had a heart attack and was able to signal for help by this car alarm going off so again it is not something I would rely on but if it saves 1 life then I would be greatful for the knowledge.

In a country where personal protection devices are not permitted if a girl was able to stop an agressor from assaulting her or kidnapping her, then it is a tool that was useful at the time but may not work for someone else.

Too bad if you drive a 1980 Dodge with chocolate brown interior !!
                        "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

Its most definately 1 more tool to maybe prevent an incident, as NRM OZ said. My keys usually are not in reach whilst in the bed but with 3 young kids in the house neither is a loaded firearm. I have personally set my "panic" off when I lived in a condo (whew, that was hell with 3 kids!) when I have seen suspicious activity or vehicles just sitting in the parking lot. All three times the would-be rapist, serial killer, axe murderer left so it can be an effective tool. (If you think about it at the time).

Advice is just that, advice...You don't have to take it.

Thanks for the Post NRM OZ!

*Some ADVISE from Cap:

I would not advise leaving a loaded firearm anywhere in the area a child could get to it or even think about looking for it. Because they will! All of these loaded weapon owners, I hope you don't have small to teenage range kids in the house. And before you reply; "My son/daughter knows not to mess with my firearm because I'll whip their a$$ if they do"....You're right, they know better but they are going to mess with it, and how much punishment can you levy against a dead child? PLEASE LOCK YOUR FIREARMS UP!!!
                          Last edited by CAP; 03-19-2008, 09:50 PM. Reason: Grammer Correction

Comment

I guess it must be natural selection because I grew up with 4 rifles in our house, in the bedroom. Ammunition was stored in the same cabinet.

I had my rifle, I asked if I could handle or clean it. I took it out to the ranch to go shooting. I never shot anyone in school.

Maybe actual proper parenting and a slight bit of instruction might actually do more than letting your kids remain ignorant to a tool?
                            Overmotivated and Underpaid... I'm a Security supervisors wet dream...

Comment

You mean like the 4 year old in Philadelphia, who shot, and killed, himself with the 9mm his convicted felon father left out?

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X