Religion on Video Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Religion on Video Games

Hi guys, now I know this can be a sensitive subject for most people but I'd like to know your oppinions.

The other night I was playing my favourite online free to play game, ConquerOnline.
    Whilst playing I can accross a large group of people spouting off thinks like Praise Allah, praise god or die!.

I told them that I was not interested in any religions, ESPECIALLY when I am playing a game.
    After saying that I started getting, virtually, followed around and generally harrassed and being told that Islam is a peaveful religion and that they'd cut off my hands and kill my family for daring to deny it. Well... you can see why I denied it in the first place can't you.

Anyway I, personally, do not think that Religion has any place on the Online Gaming world. It causes enough trouble in the real world let alone on a video game.
    It is starting to worry me aswell because it's bad enough people coming to the front door to offer you salvation... aslong as you're willing to give them £2 but to be harrassed on the internet about it aswell? it's becoming stupid. When I play a game I DO NOT want some religious fanatic stood in the virtual background spouting off crap from a fictional story book.

I simply tell them that if they look very carefully they can see that Islam and Christianity along with Greek mythology take their teachings from older religions.

Take Greek Mythology for instance, that lady who ride accross the sky? she is also in Norse Mythology, the Vikings thought of it first!.

So anyway, what do you think? and remember... these fanatics can reach your family when they are on the Internet? and do you really want your kids exposed to these weirdos?
    Ewfr 'Gomulee - EuwFer 'Gom-You-Lee
    Court Security Officer - Her Majesty's Courts Service HMCS

I"ve never run into that on the online games I play. I'd just put them on ignore and go on about my business.

Comment

I'm part owner of an online gaming community and can assure you that One no one knows your real identity and therefore can't really do anything they threaten to do. Two If they continue to harass you simply change your player name and do not fall into any conversation they may have on the same subject. You will find that for the most part you are dealing with pubescent little want to show off and get a rise from you jerks. I am surprised that an admin hasn't ripped them a new A hole by now.
      THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A 911 CALL IS FOUR MINUTES
      THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A .357 MAGNUM ROUND IS 1400 FEET PER SECOND?
      http://www.boondocksaints.com/

Comment

Some official business:
        Someone is extremely close to getting a thread lock and violation.

-=+=-

I turn to the work of Gabriel, a prophet who brings us the venerated works of Penny Arcade, and his line of shirts which include, "Jesus is my Guild Mate," and several comics which I will not link here due to excessive language. ^.^

I've never heard of the game that ... wow, I can't write that from memory... Ewfr it seems... Anyway... the game that he plays. Maybe its big in the UK wouldn't know.

I stay away from the WoWs, the only grinding I do is City of Heroes, and only when I feel like dropping the 15 a month.

I tend to virtually kill people while they virtually try to kill me. Be it in ships, fleets of ships, with a gun, etc.
        Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Why is this thread close to being locked? This is a legitimate conversation.

In my view, online video games (World of Warcraft, what have you) are also part-networking sites as well. A surprisingly large amount of people play these games not to actually play it, but to converse, network, and talk to people.

It all boils down to these games being so open-ended that there really isn't anything wrong with what they're doing. You aren't at risk. They could very well be role playing, based on real subject matter.

Comment

I play eve online...

I ran into a guy trying that spout off stuff. It was in low security space in the game.

I called out in local chat that theres fresh meat for the grinder at belt 4 spouting religious stuff. I cloaked and watched 14 players come over, blow him up, and blow his pod up. So, he died.

I don't role play, I'm just playing the game.. and I don't need that stuff in a game when I have had to deal with it in real life...

But, that's why I like eve... everyone's basically free game to an extent if you're big and bad enough LOL
            Overmotivated and Underpaid... I'm a Security supervisors wet dream...

Comment

Originally posted by Nauticus View Post
              Why is this thread close to being locked? This is a legitimate conversation.

In my view, online video games (World of Warcraft, what have you) are also part-networking sites as well. A surprisingly large amount of people play these games not to actually play it, but to converse, network, and talk to people.

It all boils down to these games being so open-ended that there really isn't anything wrong with what they're doing. You aren't at risk. They could very well be role playing, based on real subject matter.
              Because eg decided to bash religion, something he apparently knows little about, and some hold rather dear. It's against the forum rules...

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
              Working...
              X