I feel GREAT!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I feel GREAT!

So I finally got out of my minimum wage job. I was only making $8 there and was working all sorts of crazy amounts of hours each week. I decided enough was enough.

I went and applied at another local company and got hired within 30 minutes of being there. Side story to this is my former supervisor left the company I was at, and is now employed at this place! Anywho he recommended me to some guys there and told them about how I work. They were excited because I actually love my job and I always show up early.

So anywho I got in, I now make $11 an hour which still isn't amazing money but its a hell of a lot better then $8. On top of that the company is unionized, I only pay $27 a month for the union fee but for that $27 I end up getting 80% coverage on medical and dental which i really needed. I am so excited to start. They wanted me to start my first shift tomorrow but I couldn't start that soon. Last shift for the old company is on Friday. I start with the new guys next Tuesday.

Congrats. That is still an extra $100+ a week based on 40 hours and over a year is a good $6k more so it has to make a difference or just being able to afford to get ahead with these ever increasing costs of living.

Our company was American and coming into Australia people told them to shove their US ways where the sun does not shine until private medical insurance was included for all employees over 12 months service (but not needed since most medical stuff is free through our taxes). Our costs about about 1/10th for medical stuff, but many parents either got braces for their kids or themselves. It is a perk that no tax is paid on together with many others such as school fees and 2nd cars for spouses it keeps employees happier than a cash payrise which is swallowed by inflation in 1-2 years.
    "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

Good for you, self motivation can pay off!

Remember to claim your union dues each tax year. It is the spot on the form next to where it says - how much did you make, send it in
      Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted.
      Groucho Marx

Comment

Good going on landing the new job Hope all goes well for you there! It's always nice to have that extra income
        "Life In Every Breath"

Comment

Originally posted by Cactus View Post
          I end up getting 80% coverage on medical and dental which i really needed.
          I thought you get free medical care in Canada if so then why do you need insurance?
          THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A 911 CALL IS FOUR MINUTES
          THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A .357 MAGNUM ROUND IS 1400 FEET PER SECOND?
          http://www.boondocksaints.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Chucky View Post
            I thought you get free medical care in Canada if so then why do you need insurance?
            Dental is only free for children & those on welfare. (And seniors).

Quebec (I believe) is the only province that has government run insurance for medication.

Private & semi-private rooms are not covered by medicare, neither are some cosmetic surgery.
            I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
            Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
            Working...
            X