Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been reading over both the thread in question, as well as this one also. And to some extent I can see the points of both sides concerned. That being said, I've been a member with "other" forums where spam somehow seems to find its way in no matter what the mods did to work around it.

I really enjoy being a member of this forum and being a part of the sometimes rather "unique" discussions Personally, I think that the mods deserve more credit than they're sometimes given for all the hard work that they do to keep places such as this free of the (@#*&$%), well you know, stuff that other parties try to spread around.....I try not to put too much into IP addresses as I know that that's going to happen.

Keep up the good work everyone...
    "Life In Every Breath"

Comment

Just to note:

vBulletin shows us the IP address that every post originates from. Right now, my IP address is shown to every moderator/administrator, at the time I generate the post.

If my IP changes, and it will, then subsequent posts will show the IP address at the time.

And by "shows us," I mean that its literally right there in every post. There's no real "investigation" involved, because the information is in our face at all times while viewing the site.

This is a feature of vBulletin, the forum software.
      Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

I broke it down into two parts, the lookup and the investigation.

It was simply a concern of mine because many people in the Security/LP community think they are the world police and whenever someone says anything negative (about employers or other posters) they feel as if it is their duty to find out exactly where the person works/lives and "report" it. Just because you can see something doesn't mean you should "look into" and post that you "looked into" something.

My main concern is, what precautions or safeguards are in place for the posters if/when a moderator abuses their "power"?

PS: go to google and type in "define:investigation".
        Last edited by LPCap; 02-25-2008, 11:02 PM.

Comment

We take them out the back and shoot them ................ no wait, N. A. would shoot back and I think Curtis could be deadly with and M-16 in his hands too. Perhaps we just have a senate committee instead.
          "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

A Few Quick Tips...

These might help calm anyone's fears.

1. Stop posting from company computers. You're getting paid to work, not play on the 'net anyway.

2. Don't post anything you don't want coming back on you. Remember "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all?" Worked great in grade school, applies just as much now.

3. Take off your tinfoil hats and stop worrying. It would take more than the word of one forum admin to get you in hot water anyway. However, if one mod can get you fired, you needed to find a new job anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by dougo83 View Post
              These might help calm anyone's fears.

1. Stop posting from company computers. You're getting paid to work, not play on the 'net anyway.

2. Don't post anything you don't want coming back on you. Remember "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all?" Worked great in grade school, applies just as much now.

3. Take off your tinfoil hats and stop worrying. It would take more than the word of one forum admin to get you in hot water anyway. However, if one mod can get you fired, you needed to find a new job anyway.
              I don't agree with your #1. I am paid to stay on top of what is happening in my industry.

I do agree with your #3. After 26 years at the same place I am protected by Quebec law. I have to commit a very serious offense to be fired.
              I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
              Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Hs

I don't agree with your #1. I am paid to stay on top of what is happening in my industry.
                You don't have to agree. Fact is, when an S/O is at work, he or she is getting paid to do their job, not play around on forums, message boards, blogs, etc. For example, if I am posted at a static post that requires me to patrol the site, I should not be playing on computers. I should be patrolling. Likewise for a CCTV observation post. You should be watching the monitors, not playing on the internet.

I cannot think of one situation in which an S/O could justify playing around on forums and such while on post. I am also paid to stay 'ahead of the game,' but I do it on my time, from my computer, and not on my company/client clock. In my mind, to do so is stealing from the client/company. They are paying for the S/O to work, not surf the 'net, regardless of how relevant to one's job it may be.

Comment

OK, folks. NA and Curtis aren't out here to be "police" of everything/everyone. They hang out here (for free, I might add) and keep the spammers and wack-jobs from hitting up our forums. I think they're doing a great job and seeing IPs is part of forum management. Daily, I use IP addys to keep spammers from hammering our forums. I block IPs based on known spammer havens. Curtis checked an IP addy because he suspected that the person wasn't actually involved in security (turns out he was right), however he realized the person was peripherally related to security in that verification process and he subsequently took the time to respond to them thoughtfully on this security topic.

I'm closing this thread, because I think it's a bit overblown -- these guys (the mods) are your best friends because they're working to keep this forum professional for all of us. Mods (like police, like s/o's, like anyone) aren't above the law and if you think there is a legitimate grievance, feel free to post it up or PM me and I will take a personal interest. For this instance, though, I think the right thing was done.

Enjoy the forums,
                  Geoff

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X