• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humorous Police Officer !

HORACE GREELY PHILLIPS JR. 1929-2008
    Officer used humor in his job as patrolman

By MARTHA DELLERStar-Telegram Staff Writer

FORT WORTH -- Horace Greely Phillips Jr. was a compassionate patrol officer who used humor and a bagful of tricks to calm belligerent motorists, sweet-talk suspects and coach police cadets.

Dozens of drunks followed his directions to turn themselves in to the city jail, just like Otis on TV's The Andy Griffith Show.

And he fooled a few motorists into thinking he was blind.

Mr. Phillips, a retired Fort Worth police officer, died Jan. 19 at age 79. Funeral services were Wednesday.

Sarah Anne Phillips was 14 when she met her future husband, who was stationed at Carswell Air Force Base.

"He winked at me, and I fell in love right there," she said. "I wanted him, and I got him."

But not right away. Mr. Phillips left his future bride sitting at the Burger Box drive-in after she told him she was turning 15 -- not 18 as he believed.

A few days later, she returned from school to find him at her house. He had washed her mother's car and was ready to resume the relationship. She dropped out of Arlington Heights at 16 and married Mr. Phillips -- with permission from her parents and the Air Force.

Sarah Anne Phillips said her husband's undercover Air Force assignments were harrowing for her.

Mr. Phillips, sent to investigate suspicious events at various air bases, was once tortured by an Air Force officer who thought he was a spy, she said.

"They put a rope on him and made him run in front of a jeep," she said. "They said they'd run over him if he fell. Finally, a general drove up and told them to let him go."

Sarah Anne Phillips said her husband's military experience made his 30-year police career seem uneventful.

"To my knowledge, he was shot at only once, and of course it missed him," she said.

That was probably because he treated offenders like human beings, his former colleagues say.

"He was a pretty big prankster," said investigator Dale Hinz, secretary of the police historical association. "He had the best sense of humor I'd ever seen. That was why he was so effective. He could write a ticket and have the person go away laughing."

Mr. Phillips is most famous for posing as a blind officer.

Once, Mr. Phillips stopped a man who became belligerent as soon as the officer got out of his patrol car. After feeling his way alongside his patrol car to the motorist's car, Mr. Phillips told the man that he was blind, handed him the ticket book and asked him to fill in the blanks.

"The guy wrote and signed his own ticket," retired Deputy Chief B.J. Kirkpatrick said. "He then called the Police Department to say how wonderful it was -- although dangerous -- that the department was hiring the handicapped."

He persuaded other offenders to write their own tickets by using a German accent and telling them he was a foreign exchange officer, Sgt. Kevin Foster said.

And he once arrested a suspect by propping his shotgun in one window of his car, getting out on the other side and shouting for his imaginary partner to "shoot him if he moves." When the man fell to his knees and surrendered, he asked Mr. Phillips where his partner was.

"He said 'right there,' pointing at his gun," Sarah Anne Phillips said. "He did things like that all the time."

Mr. Phillips' experience on the downtown beat made him a natural to portray a drunk in a training activity.

"He was one of the best sober drunks I've ever seen," Hinz said.

That's because he knew what a drunk looked like, Kirkpatrick said.

"We were having a lot of problems with winos," he said. "It wasn't always convenient for him to take them to jail. So he'd fill out a little jail slip, give it to the person and tell them they needed to walk over to the jail ... and turn themselves in.

"And they would do it. He treated them like human beings," Kirkpatrick said.

Sometimes, Mr. Phillips would jail homeless people overnight so they could have a warm bed and a hot meal, Hinz said.

"He was a pretty big man, but he was more like a teddy bear," Hinz said.

Mr. Phillips is also survived by his son, Fort Worth police officer James Douglas Phillips; sisters Martha Ann Higdon, Dorothy Swindle, Annie Ruth and Betty Jean Abston; three grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren
    Last edited by RatPatrol; 02-01-2008, 12:48 AM. Reason: removing some info

May he rest in peace - sounds like my kind of police officer.
    Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
    Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

He gets my vote too.
      Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Wonder what he would say if it was Helen Keller that he pulled over.
        THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A 911 CALL IS FOUR MINUTES
        THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A .357 MAGNUM ROUND IS 1400 FEET PER SECOND?
        http://www.boondocksaints.com/

Comment

Or Stevie Wonder .................. or the blind guy from SNEEKERS who drove the surveillance van to rescue his colleagues.
          "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

Chucky,

You made me LMAO with that one.

Comment

According to some of our instructors at Lackland, he was a legend in Air Police.
              May his soul rest in peace and perpetual light shine upon him.
              Enjoy the day,
              Bill

Comment

I would have enjoyed talking to him.

Comment

Sounds like one of those `old school men` who were mentors to thousands. mentors that we could sit and listen to for hours - sadly as these people are becoming very scarce through age and change of environment. 1 old bloke I worked with was my first supervisor at my first S/o site. He asked me to help do the reports as at 12 he was kicked out of the bush school and had never learned to read and write. He got caught by the local bush sergeant and given a bed, room and meals but put to work cutting wood and cleaning the cop shop. The old Sergeant and his wife never had any kids so he was secretly helping these town scruffians and getting them sorted out. He went into the Army and became a cop after returning from Vietnam - the old bloke was there to see his passing out parade and leaving for vietnam and when he graduated as a cop - leaving after 30 odd years. Now in his 80's I still see him every few months and wonder if he realised his help pushed me into the industry that I enjoy so much.
                  "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

Oh man!, that guy sounded like a real laugh to be around.
                    I only wish I knew a guy like him!.

As said above ''May he rest in peace''.
                    Ewfr 'Gomulee - EuwFer 'Gom-You-Lee
                    Court Security Officer - Her Majesty's Courts Service HMCS

Comment

Another one down...

Requiescat in Pace

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X