Flooding In New South Wales

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flooding In New South Wales

To our good friends and forum members, hopefully this, the worst flooding in memory, will soon pass and damage kept to a minimum.
    Cheers,
    Bill

Originally posted by Bill Warnock View Post
    To our good friends and forum members, hopefully this, the worst flooding in memory, will soon pass and damage kept to a minimum.
    Cheers,
    Bill
    Amen - and stay safe!
    "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

It's the result of a Cyclone up the coast into the next state and it really has hit hard and fast since Xmas with many roads and bridges cut off. 1 area I recall as a lad had the river bank right over the road from the town and there was 5 feet of room from bursting it's banks. We would have lunch right on the river with 100 yds from river to 1st row of homes.

A good 5 - 7 hours away from me with some coastal and interland towns, so we have plenty of water but now the disease comes through from dead animals and other things ........... will take another few weeks before the water recedes with the help of the army to rebuild SOME roads. Oh and the kids are back at school in 2 weeks time too.
      "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

NRM oz, we are glad to hear things will be put right in a fortnight. I hope the disease can be constrained in short order.
        Cheers,
        Bill

Comment

Thanks Bill - we have had a bloody drought on since 1998 and this is bad for the crops as there is no moisture for wheat or other food crops but now ....................... More rain is expected which does not mean alot when most of these people did not have house insurance. PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF A PAY RISE - consider getting household insurance in your homes - whether you rent or not. It is not the be all and end all but if it hits the fan you have SOMETHING up your sleave.

Tonight they showed 1 river that almost took out a house when the water rose 25' above the bank and of course being flat the water is going to find the lowest point. Some of the homes are called Queenslanders (like some homes is Louisiana (where the bottom level is on stilts but people still use that part to live in due to the heat and spare rooms and these were all flooded out.

Comment

NRM Oz, everything pretty much back to normal there?
            Cheers,
            Bill

Comment

Had a nasty storm again up north - right on the border of my state and Drew's state and these people were crying out for water due to the drought. The biggest problem is people built downs a bee's pecker away from the rivers and this means a 6' rise is going to cause flooding. Like Katrina, most of these houses were built high in case of floods but it does not mean anything with a flood 24" above the banks. Kids are back at school after Xmas Holidays in 2 weeks so will be interesting to see how they go there.

Comment

We also have those kinds of people who live 20-feet from the river's edge or on a barrier island and then complain when they get wiped out they complain the governments (federal and state) aren't doing enough to protect them. As a result of that shortsighted thinking our insurance rates continue to climb.
                I liked your bee sobriquet.
                Enjoy the day,
                Bill

Comment

Well it is like people who live in bush - don't bother checking access roads in case of an evacuation and then come crying when their homes are burning down. A $250 US insurance policy for house contents is all it cost me 2 years ago when I agreed to pay for some tennants in 1 of my houses so I can't work out why for the life of me people cannot at least do this let alone owning a house and not spending that again on some house insurance ?

Simple things like actually clearing up rubbish or leaf litter around your house, clearing a fire path and removing leaves from your gutter is going to make a difference but people in these high risk areas won't leave it until the very last minute despite warnings of loss of life or dangerous conditions.

Then the volunteer firefighters have to risk their lives whilst these people through stupidity come crying for help but refuse to do their bit for their own sakes. Either way in some places we still have a need for alot more rain.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X