20lbs & Counting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20lbs & Counting

Since taking over a site supervisor a couple months ago I have gained twenty pounds! I always gain some weight in the winter (it is too cold to go out and do anything) but that combined with being behind a desk almost all day has really taken it's toll. I really need to get back on a regimen, or get out from behind this desk. I am already wearing the few pairs of slacks and BDUs I still have from back when I lifted weights; because my 5.11s do not fit anymore!
    "A good deed’s like pissing yourself in dark pants. Warm feeling but no one notices." - Jacob Taylor

I know how you feel. Lately I have been having trouble fitting into the bulletproof vest I bought over the summer. With Thanksgiving having just passed and Christmas around the corner, things won't be getting much better in that regard. I've been talking about losing the weight I've put on, at least and I'm going to need to, if for no other reason, to fit the vest better instead of shelling out $600 for another one.

Comment

Ahhhhhhh the joys of promotions. Once you sit down behind a desk or on your backside flying or driving around, you become aware of weight gain or loss. I used to be stuck at a few locations where movement was limited and I used to at least try and go for a foot patrol around the perimeter to give me some walking time away from the office. As I used to travel by train to work I would often park 10 minutes away from the station to guarantee me a good 20 minutes walk to and from the station as well as another 10 minutes from the train station to where I worked. It did help maintain my fitness.

I woman I worked with in 1998 was shifted to a new site after dozens of complaints. She gained over 80lbs in a 5 months and tried to sue the company for making her sit opposite vending machines. We saw her on NYE and no1 recognised her at first glance.
      "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

All I'm going to say is I feel the pain with you. Enough said.

Comment

I've gained weight too but have worked at changing my diet to keep it from getting so bad that I need new uniforms. For sodas I only drink diet products. Since I'm almost always broke I don't buy takeout or pizzia often. Eating a roastbeef sandwich instead of a double quarter pounder helps alot. One of my fellow officers will be taking some time off after the New Year to have Lapband surgery. She's so heavy that she gets out of breath just walking 80 feet from her parking spot to the desk in the guard shack.
          Hospital Security Officer

Comment

20lbs & Counting

Ahhh the never ending battle I use be a super fat ass closing in on 400 pounds. I cut cokes out stop taking elevators at my main post take the stairs. Now am about go under 300
            CAPTAIN KOOLAID 9594

oh ya

Comment

Wow that is incredible - "100lbs" just by being more active and cutting back on the smaller things. Well Done CK !! An industry colleague was a big fella and always had been. He went on a strict diet for 2 years and lost 150lbs through a program on work and life balance. I did not recognise him at a conference we both attended last year. He came from a European family so it was always EAT EAT EAT and he got used to big meals.

Don't think the USA is alone with population health issues - Australia is right behind you with slower transport, convenience living, take away meals 1/3 the price of healthy meals and longer work and travel hours. People come home tired, upset and don't want to cook meals. Even drinks sizes and coffee cups have gone to mega size to the pint cups for coffee which I cannot finish and people order them with a cake every day before work. I am just glad I refuse to pay $10.00 US a day for 2 coffees as I would be just like the rest of these sheep.

Comment

Been there tips to follow.

Park further away
                Take stairs instead of elevator
                Drink more water
                Have one slice of pizza for lunch rather than 2 - very difficult for me at first.

Supervise by walking around more. See and be seen!
                I enjoyed this part, as you are seen more as a resource when talking with people, and can be a good example for co-workers.

(Keep up the good work Captain K)
                Last edited by Eric; 12-12-2007, 07:19 AM.
                Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted.
                Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post

Park further away
                  Drink more water
                  Have one slice of pizza for lunch rather than 2 - very difficult for me at first.

That should be so obvious, and yet I still struggle with it. Part of it is because of bad knees, but then again my knees are bad largely b/c I'm too fat and they weren't made to carrry this much weight. (I'm 5'2" and about 240lbs, down from a couple years ago but stalled out.)

I do drink almost exclusively water, one soda a day at most, and that's occasional. Besides water I drink at least one glass of milk (2%) each day. I've also switched to a largely salad-and-protein diet per my doc.

I was doing really well for about two or three months at getting up early and working out for 30 mins every day. Not sure why my motivation tanked there, but now I just can't get up that early anymore. (I'd have to get up at 4:30am to exercise.)

I enjoyed this part, as you are seen more as a resource when talking with people, and can be a good example for co-workers
                  This is also something I need to work on more. I agree, it is more enjoyable than driving a desk all day. It's been a year since I started here, I've been thinking that's a good time to talk to property manager about what changes can/need to be made and what direction we need security to move in. That may allow me to get out from the desk a little more. Right now I feel like I have to be here most of the day, but maybe a chat with the manager will give me more ability to walk.
                  That's a direct quote. Not word for word, but the gist of it.

Comment

Move to Canada where the metric system is used. 300 pounds is just 136 kilograms and 240 pounds is a slim 109 KG.

Not trying to make light of the situation here, I have lost 60 pounds myself and understand reaching a plateau, and the changes that are needed.
                    Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted.
                    Groucho Marx

Comment

It is hard in our industry to keep your eating in order as you need to remember that coming home or rushing to work means driving past those places ready to serve you a cheap feed - ready to go. I am guilty of it as I rushed to work for a few 0530 starts on a miserable wet morning. It is so easy to do with coffee shops everywhere, those muffins are a nice with your coffee.

But seriously, I love the USA and the people as you are all different in every state (love the accents), but your meal sizes are just far too big. Every trip to USA, I lose weight - Jenny Craig eat your heart out. I just can't eat the 20 course breakfasts or manage the 3 large meals a day. I am a big eater (as my wife to be reminds me) but am unable to just get into the lifestyle of eatting so much in each sitting. Perhaps its a culture thing.

Marketers will tell you - volume = value, hence the UPSIZE $1.00 or larger meal for $2.00 more. Working rotational shift work is harder - where you come home - eat dinner and go to bed on a full stomach or come home from a 12 hour night shift to go past McDonalds at 0645 (which I was guilty of this morning as it was cold and wet and I was running late).

Some tips my crew and I discussed this morning in our teleconference:

1. A glass of water consumed before a meal helps to fill you up.
                      2. Have a once a week treat but don't go overboard.
                      3. Bring your own meals into work - buy better food at home that make someone else richer at McDonalds.
                      4. Drop the soft drink (sodas) and try something else. (15+ teaspoons of sugar / coke).
                      5. Watch when you eat and leave a gap of 2 hours before going to bed
                      6. If working a `12` better to eat 3 smaller portions than to gorge on 1 big meal.

Now I just need to take some of my own advice before December 08 for our wedding.

Comment

I really appreciate the words of advice. I am not generally worried about things like weight, it just scared me to realize how much I had gained in only a2 months. Though it also bothered me when I ran out of breath during my foot patrol (since day 1 I have tried to sneak a patrol and parking lot check into both of my breaks to stay active, and because i miss not being able to get around to see what is going on in person). I never thought I would miss my 8 to 12 mile a shift foot patrols. Of course getting off at 13:00 does not help much either. It should give me time to exercise more, but it usually gives me time to cook way too much for dinner. Maybe I should start eating lunch so I am not so hungry when I get off.
                        "A good deed’s like pissing yourself in dark pants. Warm feeling but no one notices." - Jacob Taylor

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
                          Park further away
                          I park as close to my office as I can...

No stairs other than in the parking garage; I take the long way around, ramp by ramp along the vehicle route...

Drink more water
                          I do, but the water either has iced tea in it or coffee grounds with cream and sugar...

I normally have 2 Taco Bell soft taco supremes; cost me a little over $3 a day, I can eat both and be out patrolling in 10 minutes, and the walking takes it off fast as I probly put it on...

I enjoyed this part, as you are seen more as a resource when talking with people, and can be a good example for co-workers.
                          When I started with the company I'm with now in Dec. '05, I weighed in at a robust 217 lbs... I'm 6'1", so it wasn't really out of proportion; but, last I weighed myself a few months ago, I'm down to a svelte 177 lbs... A friend of my Wife gave me a pedometer to wear at work a while ago, and the day after Black Friday I had walked 12.550 miles during a 12 hour shift...
                          “Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left”
                          "I swear to God, I'm going to pistol whip the next guy that says 'Shenanigans' "... Capt. O'Hagan, "Super Troopers"

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X