Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bpdblue
    replied
    HotelSecurity, that was very good, a funny post.

Leave a comment:

• NRM_Oz
    replied
    Working the buses you never pulled out a packet of smokes - just 1 time as you always got street beggers asking for a smoke. A pack of 50 would become a pack of 10 as hands would reach in and grab the whole lot and street criminals would go diving for them. Often people waiting at the bus-stop would say "Sorry last one - you can finish it off".

Leave a comment:

• craig333
    replied
    Being in uniform certainly does reduce the number of times I'm hit up for money. Sometimes I just say "hey, you make more money than I do!".

Leave a comment:

• NRM_Oz
    replied
    Working the buses as a security inspector I would be hit by the beggars asking for change to get home (I could issue them a freebie ticket if I wanted to) and when I said how much do you have to get home (ie. let them get a lower section fare) it was always responded with a shrug of the shoulders. I am in full uniform, badge and everything on display and I am asked for $$$. I got to know the regulars and would have to be downright rude and nasty to get rid of them from the streets. $1.00 here and there over a few hours soon adds up to a nice little earner.

Leave a comment:

• HotelSecurity
    replied
    Originally posted by bpdblue View Post
    My best story about a scammer was a begger in San Francisco, asking for money. He looked about as under-fed as a NFL player.

He was walking down the street asking each person, "$5.00 for dinner?" Everybody was giving him some money, which I believe was wrong, as it just keeps him going on. I was not working, and in plain clothes, so I thought I'd have a little fun with him.

I decided to be a little different. When he got to us and made his "$5.00 for dinner?" speech, I told him, "No thanks, I already ate." I said this to him like he was offering me the $5.00. Everybody close enough around me to hear my reply started laughing loudly, which upset the big booger, causing him to walk off sulking.
    I'm nastier than you. I have had bums come up to me (there are a lot begging on street corners in downtown Montreal) & ask "do you have any spare change?" I have reached into my pocket, scooped up some change & said "not for you", & put it back in my pocket. (Luckly Canada does not have as many guns as the US - I think if I tried that in many major US cities.......)

Leave a comment:

• NRM_Oz
    replied
    We have 2 current affairs shows and without fail every 3 months there is a story of some meat-head who has been duped by thousands or tens of thousands of dollars in some money scheme - are people that stupid ? I take a coffee break at 1500 every week day and may catch Judge Judy. Last week there was a woman who got a cheque for $3k - told to keep $500. and Western Union the balance to the UK. She got her sister to cash it and she got her $$$ but 2 days later found it was a fake. The next check was to be $90k or so she claimed. It makes me wonder if she had a brain or not in her head ?

The latest is the bank a/c overpayment from banks I had not ever heard of from the USA and UK. Some are pure BS and the latest one is from E-bay which asks for a payment and then issues a refund but needs your account details to reverse the payment. My friend sent it to me only 3 days back and he wanted to know how they had all his details (not all just name and email a/c) and I said it was a blanket email and I had a few of them sent out to my email abut it was to a hotmail a/c which I rarely used.

Leave a comment:

• flashlightcop509
    replied
    Oh, I get those literally on a daily basis... usually from the "UK Lottery"... haven't gotten any of the Nigeria scams lately tho... Gee, far as I know, I have no relatives in the UK (save for Ireland), but somehow I've won a particular lottery at least 8 times in the last 2 months that I've never even entered...

Leave a comment:

• bpdblue
    replied
    Sometimes it's fun to get even

I get these types of emails also. I just can them immediatly. I have never responded to any.

My best story about a scammer was a begger in San Francisco, asking for money. He looked about as under-fed as a NFL player.

He was walking down the street asking each person, "$5.00 for dinner?" Everybody was giving him some money, which I believe was wrong, as it just keeps him going on. I was not working, and in plain clothes, so I thought I'd have a little fun with him.

I decided to be a little different. When he got to us and made his "$5.00 for dinner?" speech, I told him, "No thanks, I already ate." I said this to him like he was offering me the $5.00. Everybody close enough around me to hear my reply started laughing loudly, which upset the big booger, causing him to walk off sulking.

Leave a comment:

• tattedupboy
    started a topic Internet scams

Internet scams

Just wondering how many of you have ever been told via email that you were the "winner" of an Internet lottery. I receive several of these notifications daily. One thing I notice that all these scams have in common is that they never address you by name (because they don't know your name; that right there should raise a red flag!) and that they are almost always sent from a foreign country.

Another scam I have seen regularly is one in which a foreigner (usually from Nigeria) pleads for help in getting a large sum of money transferred from a foreign source to the United States with the promise of sharing a portion of the funds upon successful completion of the transaction.

I know that all of these are scams and have indeed read stories about people being bilked out of hundreds, and in some cases, thousands, of dollars. With the help of a website called 419eater.com, a site that helps people turn the tables on these scamsters, I decided to respond to a couple of these once (with no intention of ever actually sending out any money) and was successful in sending out a copy of a fake Western Union form; when the guy was not able to pick up the money, he was livid, but, due to the fact that all the information I gave him about myself was completely false (I told him that my bank was Plunder & Flee, Inc), he couldn't do a darn thing!

Do any of you have any stories or experiences dealing with these scam artists?
    Last edited by tattedupboy; 12-10-2007, 11:34 PM.

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X